Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...am new to the group. Have a '96 EB 5.8L and would like to upgrade the ignition system.. Whats available out there in 4by land for our rigs?? Thanks... :rebelflag

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Ford Motorsport makes 9mm plug wires and they are pretty nice
you could also put an MSD and new coil in

·
Registered
155 Posts
On a later model EFI Bronco the best ignition upgrade is some good plug and wires and... NOTHING. Unless you are running at really high RPM's or a supercharger the stock ignition system is plenty powerful. Lots of people get an MSD setup or Jacob to have a "performance" ignition, but none of them will give you an appreciable increase in power or mileage to justify the cost. Save your money for something useful!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info. Great to hear that I can spend my money on other needed things...I'm sure I will.... :rebelflag

·
Registered
7 Posts
I fully disagree with Poser. I pulled the MSD 6al off of my 5.0 mustang and put it on the 5.0 bronco. You can use the same wiring harness. I noticed siginificant torque increase on the bottom end. It turned out to be the most effective power mod I have done.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
BIGSIX3 said:
Greetings...am new to the group. Have a '96 EB 5.8L and would like to upgrade the ignition system.. Whats available out there in 4by land for our rigs?? Thanks... :rebelflag
Any good wires...I use Jacobs, good powerful coil, good brass terminal cap/rotor, good plugs (gapped properly), silicone sealant to keep out moisture from the cap, and possibly a boot, and DIALETRIC GREASE!

Course you have to have a good supporting cast as well...battery, good grounds/connections, alternator, etc.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
spike6901 said:
I fully disagree with Poser. I pulled the MSD 6al off of my 5.0 mustang and put it on the 5.0 bronco. You can use the same wiring harness. I noticed siginificant torque increase on the bottom end. It turned out to be the most effective power mod I have done.

This has me curious....

I've heard mixed from many people on many boards. I can see the advantage of a hotter more consistent spark...But, how much is really needed? Im running 8mm crap wires and crap plugs from god knows how long ago. One of these days ill get around to it...But, Its not a problem.

I have heard that running an after market oem coil, Jacobs or MSD, shows a noticeable improvement, But otherwise the difference is very small.

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Drilim said:
This has me curious....

I've heard mixed from many people on many boards. I can see the advantage of a hotter more consistent spark...But, how much is really needed? Im running 8mm crap wires and crap plugs from god knows how long ago. One of these days ill get around to it...But, Its not a problem.

I have heard that running an after market oem coil, Jacobs or MSD, shows a noticeable improvement, But otherwise the difference is very small.
I can say from my own experience that the Jacobs setup works very well. Last month durring a cold snap I had some problems with the wireing on my Jacobs HP coil and I had to take it off for a full tank of gas. I then filled up my tank and fixed my problems. Durring the time the Jacobs was off my mileage dropped to about 12mpg and went back up to around 15 mpg when I replaced it. It has to be doing something good to get that kind of mileage increase.

dc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts