Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honest, I did a search and came up pretty much empty handed. I am stacking up parts for my 78 Bronco so as soon as the weather breaks up a little I can start working. I got the new carb and am working on selling a bunch of extra parts so I can get a Red Head steering box. Next on the list is a new set of hubs as I get a little growling in my right one on the road at speeds over 40mph. I figure I'll be tearing the shafts out and rebuilding them so I might as well do new lockouts. Anyway I don't like to do stuff more than once so I want to buy the best quality parts I can.
Let know what you guys think. I like the looks of the Mile Marker Supreme because they are all stainless, but I need the guts to hold up to plowing.
Swamp

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
I'd say Mile Marker or Warn Premiums are the two best choices on the market. I havent had direct experience with MM, but had read and heard good things about them. I ended up using Warns on my 95 and they never failed me, and they took a pretty good beating in the rocks. When I do my front end rebuild on the 78, I will be replacing my lockouts and will most likely, go with one one of the two brands mentioned...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been running the Warn Premium hubs for the last 5 years and have not had any issues. I have also heard good things about the MM but have never run them.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had several vehicles with the standard warn lockouts and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Its hard to beat the standard Warns.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,068 Posts
I like the original OEM too but have warns all the 4x4's I have at home and have not had issues with them.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,068 Posts
I like the stage 8 locking nut setup. Have those in my 92 to replace the one piece ones it had like them enough the 78 will be getting a set here soon.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What makes the Warns "better" than the OE Spicer units?
Absolutely nothing. I had the original Spicer units still when I replaced them with the Warn units. I would have put Spicer units back in but could not get any in the time frame I had to get things done at the time so I bought the Warn. The Spicers were 30 some years old and never broke…They just wore out!!:thumbup

·
Registered
764 Posts
What about Superwinch? I have a set on my Bronco and haven't had any trouble with them yet... although, will I?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd say either the factory spicers or warns, mostly because those are the only two I have direct experience with. The spicers are stronger; but the warns are plenty strong, the dials turn much easier, and they're easier to install.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Are new factory replacement Spicers available? I did a quick google search and didnt see them. Not that they dont exist (I spent about 2 minutes looking), but the reason I would consider aftermarket is because they are new vs the 35 year old factory units. I guess if the factory spicers are still in good shape, why not run them??? Maybe run them and carry a set of aftermarket hubs as backup?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I could reuse the old ones, but since I had some growling that sounded like it might be a hub spline I figured I was tearing the outers apart so I might as well put everything new. It's not like it's an extra $500 or anything. To me spending an extra couple bucks is worth it knowing that next week when I'm in the woods or out at the farm I'm not gonna have one shit out. Not to mention doing something a second time because I cheaped out to save a few bucks really really pisses me off.
Swamp

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
I guess I could reuse the old ones, but since I had some growling that sounded like it might be a hub spline I figured I was tearing the outers apart so I might as well put everything new. It's not like it's an extra $500 or anything. To me spending an extra couple bucks is worth it knowing that next week when I'm in the woods or out at the farm I'm not gonna have one shit out. Not to mention doing something a second time because I cheaped out to save a few bucks really really pisses me off.
Swamp
X2 on the doing something twice to save a few bucks.

I forgot about the suspected issue with the sound... Yeah, I would replace them to. Tens of thousands of Warn hubs are in use in the US. If they werent a quality product, they wouldnt have the use they do. Like I said, I abused mine when I used to rock crawl in AZ. Never had an issue... My vote is on the Warns.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm still running the Spicers, behind a healthy 429, posi and 35" tires. Never had an issue. I do carry a drive slug from a 203 spec front axle, for a backup.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I prefer Warn components as well, they're proven. For some reason however, my Bronco has Superwinch hubs on it. They're also very good, all metal construction with O-rings to seal things out. I've had them since 2002 and wheeled all over North America including BC, Canada and and Arizona.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts