Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread similar to this in the 80-96 section. Thought it would be a good idea for 78&79's since the trucks are a lot different. Hope you guys agree and can use this.

Rules/guideline:
Has to be something you did or bought and installed.
Why you did it and why it is better than what it replaced.
Cost
Pictures (lets face it we like these).

Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmmm... 1-Ton swap would have to be the best mod I've done, even though its not 100% done :toothless

I already have peace of mind knowing I shouldn't be repairing any axles after this...well I hope so atleast :rofl:

So far, with selling all my axles etc, I've actually made $300 doing the swap.

And reasoning WHY its better? No more of this...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll start things off with a few less than exciting mods that made the cabin a bit more comfortable.
1) Heated seats. Great on a chilly morning with the top off. Bought some cheap elements off fleabay for $25 and added $20 worth of wire, switches and relays.
2) Cup holders cut into the factory console. Another $10 on ebay and a few minutes with a hole saw and you have:

Worked great until I bought a Tuffy center console...
3) recovering the factory dash pad. $17 for marine grade vinyl at the fabric store and another $10 for contact cement and it looks like new!

Of course the built 400 makes a difference too :rockon

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Well, not a bronco, but my 250-

I put in a Powertrax lock-rite locker (had an open carrier when I bought it, the D70 came with it)
And I changed out from chitty 39" Baja Belted's to 40" Ground hawgs

I don't have a pic of the locker, next time I pull the pan off I'll take one. Here is my Ghawg dawg... (and my big meaty d70 hub!)

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Shackle Flip rear. No more shims/blocks of any kind. I had a friend cut and bent these for me. they have since been boxed in.

By raleigh1911

Next is new steering (drag link, tie rod) and 1 ton swap.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Worked great until I bought a Tuffy center console...
3) recovering the factory dash pad. $17 for marine grade vinyl at the fabric store and another $10 for contact cement and it looks like new!
Drill master heat gun yeahhh! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I replaced my floors from the front of the back seat to the firewall. Then installed heat and sound proof material I bought from lowes. I cut the good floor out of a parts bronco I had and welded it into mine. I also installed air conditioner and recovered my seats. The interior is so much more quiet. I also repainted a top and tinted all the windows. I have owned this bronco for over 9 years and drive it every day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
#1 BRAKE UPGRADE - makes driving these things so much better. F350 or hydroboost, anything is better than stock. The F350 depending on how much you have to replace will run about $200 - $500. If you are doing any work on your brakes at all, do this then, the F350 parts don't really cost any more than stock.

#2 I also like my custom center console with cup holders, amp and sub built in. Probably $75 in material thanks to the stainless marine cup holders. Makes around town driving much better.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Engine swap;

Rebuilt 400 to OE 1970 429. Approx double the torque and horsepower.
x2 :)

I bought a 78 with a 460 already swapped for $600 :rockon

So far it has cost me:

$20 JY Battery
$40 Rear Slip Yoke (new from JBG)
$25 All New Battery Cables
$10 Rear light pigtail
$15 External Regulator for Alt
$15 Track Bar Bushings

The 460 is 10x better than my old '78 that had the 400 in it. Hands down, the 460 is wicked.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say how much it cost. 460 with c6 out of an ambulance with 50k miles $600. Maybe $100 in various small parts and oil and filter to get it running. But this week I spent another 400 on performance junk

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I agree with Gilamonster, installing a 3G alternator was the best upgrade.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Best Mods:

Factory Ford efi 460. More power at high revs, more torque at low revs, better reliability/durability, same fuel economy, Flawless cold/warm/hot starts, Hill climbs are a breeze. Literally no drama....Just turn the key and go. If there is a downside it is why did I not drop a 460 efi in there to begin with.

Pieced together my own lift. I did not like the kits on the market. Either too pricey, incomplete, or mismatched....Usually all three

Hydroboost brakes with t-bird calipers, one ton wheel cylinders, and an AGR Rock Ram power steering pump. First time I drove it with the new brakes I saw smoke coming from the front rotors....It was the cosmoline from five years ago. It finally got hot enough to burn off!

Worst Mods:
Tweecer (back when I tried to efi the 400)
Rear locker (click click click click)
Precision U-joints (Literally Oh Snap!)
Superwinch Hubs (Leaky)
Hedman Headers (paper thin at collector)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts