Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to rebuild my exhaust system. i currently have a cherry bomb just before the rear axle with tail pipe (pretty much stock setup but with aftermarket muffler)
what is the best option to gain torque if possible? and if i were to dual pipe it, what are my best options to maintain and not lose any power from low end or top because i know some setups allow for more low end torque but then is crap once it gets tp around 40mph then it just slowly crawls up to speed which i dont want.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,191 Posts
Im looking to rebuild my exhaust system. i currently have a cherry bomb just before the rear axle with tail pipe (pretty much stock setup but with aftermarket muffler)
what is the best option to gain torque if possible? and if i were to dual pipe it, what are my best options to maintain and not lose any power from low end or top because i know some setups allow for more low end torque but then is crap once it gets tp around 40mph then it just slowly crawls up to speed which i dont want.
Before we get into recommending exhaust systems and parts "I REALLY" think you need to read up more on Exhaust systems Technology/Basics, from more TECHNICALLY orient articles. I have no idea where you've been getting your info from going by your post.

To start off you have a 5.0 and 33" tires you are already low on TORQUE to begin with. Switch to a 5.8 or any other larger Cubic inch engine and you will have more torque and/or switch to higher numerical gears.
I'm not picking on you or putting you down, I'm trying to help you/educate you, but just giving you specific parts and combinations won't help you understand what it's all about. There are Tons of Threads on Exhaust on this Site and there is not "1" best system or combination of parts. It all depends on your wants, needs and desires and how good you are at turning wrenches, welding, fabrication, etc.... It also depends on how much money you have or want to spend. There is also the subject of your engine, is up to specs and performing correctly, before slapping on an Exhaust and expecting a Miracle!!!! Is your current Exhaust system functioning correctly? Is the Cat clogged? Is the muffler collapsed/rusted inside and not flowing correctly? Then there is your Tire size and Rear-end/Front-end gear ratios.
So then it comes down to what do you want? Single or Dual? Stock Manifolds/ Shorties/Long tubes? Y-Pipe Stock/Aftermarket? Cat or no Cat? Muffler (any sound preferences?) ? 2.25"/2.5"/3.0" Pipes?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,044 Posts
More air out means more air in, and all that. Exhaust that functions properly is all that matters the rest is a matter of what each individual wants looks and sound wise.

Reactions: rmaine30

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before we get into recommending exhaust systems and parts "I REALLY" think you need to read up more on Exhaust systems Technology/Basics, from more TECHNICALLY orient articles. I have no idea where you've been getting your info from going by your post.

To start off you have a 5.0 and 33" tires you are already low on TORQUE to begin with. Switch to a 5.8 or any other larger Cubic inch engine and you will have more torque and/or switch to higher numerical gears.
I'm not picking on you or putting you down, I'm trying to help you/educate you, but just giving you specific parts and combinations won't help you understand what it's all about. There are Tons of Threads on Exhaust on this Site and there is not "1" best system or combination of parts. It all depends on your wants, needs and desires and how good you are at turning wrenches, welding, fabrication, etc.... It also depends on how much money you have or want to spend. There is also the subject of your engine, is up to specs and performing correctly, before slapping on an Exhaust and expecting a Miracle!!!! Is your current Exhaust system functioning correctly? Is the Cat clogged? Is the muffler collapsed/rusted inside and not flowing correctly? Then there is your Tire size and Rear-end/Front-end gear ratios.
So then it comes down to what do you want? Single or Dual? Stock Manifolds/ Shorties/Long tubes? Y-Pipe Stock/Aftermarket? Cat or no Cat? Muffler (any sound preferences?) ? 2.25"/2.5"/3.0" Pipes?
ive done mechanic work for about 8 years but have never gotten into exhaust work. my engine and everything is performing where it should be and my entire exhaust system is perfect, and has no issues other than the tires as you've said.
ik some vehicles are different depending on engine and etc. i have a dodge dakota as well and with that i know that there needs to be more bends/steps and everything for the exhaust to bounce and move. i kind of had to play around with a few mufflers that i put on the truck to get back to my normal power even tho all i did was replace the muffler with aftermarket, magnaflow,flowmaster, cherry bomb and i ended up using the super 40 that gave me the best outcome overall with maintaining low end power and top end and a good sound. so that was just the question because with my dakota a lot of people suggested flowmaster but in all, that was just for sound and that's not what i was looking for because where i live its very hilly so climbing up a small hill made the truck very slow and couldn't get the power it had to just plow right up the hill until i got the super 40 muffler which allowed me to keep that low end power and not decrease my top end. so im really i'm looking for something that sounds decent but wont allow me to lose power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but what i truly want is to dual the exhaust, but not lose anymore power if possible. so i didn't know if there was someone whos done it or recommends a size pipe or muffler to use when doing that. because when i bought the bronco the guy said he threw the cherry bomb on and lost power but he didn't care because he liked the sound. :rolleyes:

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,902 Posts
regear your axles to compliment the tire size, this will get your best bang for your buck improvement. exhaust upgrades will give minor improvement based on your current setup.

a free flowing y pipe, hi flow cat and a single in/dual out muffler to give the duals appearance would work and perform better than true duals. if you must run true duals figure small 2" or 2.25" exhaust from headers back. you'll have to run the pipe side by side to get around the Tcase and so forth, once you hit the muffler you could go larger diam pipe to gain the look your after and not sacrifice performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
regear your axles to compliment the tire size, this will get your best bang for your buck improvement. exhaust upgrades will give minor improvement based on your current setup.

a free flowing y pipe, hi flow cat and a single in/dual out muffler to give the duals appearance would work and perform better than true duals. if you must run true duals figure small 2" or 2.25" exhaust from headers back. you'll have to run the pipe side by side to get around the Tcase and so forth, once you hit the muffler you could go larger diam pipe to gain the look your after and not sacrifice performance.
okay perfect, yah my plan is to regear the axles but at this moment exhause is what i want done cus i hate it lol but yah im probably going to stick to single and dual out, i just read some other threads and everyone suggested not to do true duals, its more of hassle than anything i guess and just not a good power outcome as if you were to single/dual out

Reactions: TravisITGuy

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,610 Posts
More air out means more air in, and all that. Exhaust that functions properly is all that matters the rest is a matter of what each individual wants looks and sound wise.
In a non-EFI engine I'm with you a 100%, more air out means more air in... but that's not the case when there is a computer fighting for what "it" thinks is the ideal air/fuel ratio.

At least with the '96 the computer is a bit smarter in the OP's case and the 302 intake has a reasonable amount of growth potential before it becomes limiting. Heads are going to be the bottleneck here though. Opening up the exhaust may give a nominal HP increase, but that will come at the expense of less back pressure and a reduction in torque.

Aesthetics and sound aside, if you are looking to maximize bang for the buck, look to tightening up the power delivery of what's already in your truck through a gear change or shift kit/retuned valve body for the transmission.

I know it's not as aesthetically or audibly pleasing, but you will know it where it counts... in the seat of your pants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,126 Posts
For a stock 302, I recommend the following.

2" downpipes from the manifolds to the Y-junction. In my opinion, this should be the flowmaster scavenger Y-collector. Send it downstream to a 2.5" cat and muffler. The magnaflow metallicats are really nice for the money, but arent Cali legal. The muffler can be a dual out, but I recommend no larger than 2.25" tailpipes.

I had long tube headers on a 351 with true duals. The driver side wound around more than a greensnake in a sugarcane tree. Didnt sound as nice imho as a single setup.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,191 Posts
I have Hedman Shorty headers so I installed a Magnaflow S. S. Catted Y-Pipe, into a S.S. 3" Exhaust pipe (this can be 2.5" pipe) into a Magnaflow 12388 5" x 8" x 24"L S.S. muffler single 3" in and dual 2.5" out (any muffler of your choice; Borla XS or Hooker Aerochamber etc) into 2.25" Tail pipes and E-bay 3" x 12" S.S. Sliced Tips finishing it off. The attached is from the muffler back and the Dual tip Passenger side exit.
Bronco Exhaust FSB 1.PNG Bronco Exhaust 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,610 Posts
FWIW, I like @BigBlue 94's sizing and those dual cut tips suggested by @Stevo440 - sharp looking!

If $$ is no object and you have the power adders to utilize it, you can always hit the easy button:

Start with Bassani equal length shorty headers...

...into a Bassani 2-1/2" to 3" y-pipe with high flow cat...

...and then out through a 3" Bassani cat-back

No welding required. Plug-and-play simple because everything is made to fit and work together down to the hangers.

Just don't drop the coin on it and decide a few months later you really should have avoided the commitment to the 302... and don't ask how I came to this information either. :shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,650 Posts
I recently put this on my wife’s 85 302 EFI

With a summit hi-flow cat and a thrush welded muffler and it runs and sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
199 Posts
since you're building a new system, be wary of where your pipes come out. I installed a lift and leaf springs wouldn't go on without cutting on my shiny chrome tips. Just keep in mind "travel" when mapping out your design. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
since you're building a new system, be wary of where your pipes come out. I installed a lift and leaf springs wouldn't go on without cutting on my shiny chrome tips. Just keep in mind "travel" when mapping out your design. Good luck!
good idea, because i do intend on doing a 4-6inch lift in the future, right now im looking at doing catback

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,650 Posts
Yes - my recent 4” lift with ProComp springs hits the pipe with the overload spring at about half droop. It pushes by but I think I will probably trim off an inch or so of the overload spring with a cut off wheel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
be careful cutting springs, some springs if you cut an inch or even half an inch can drop it a good amount, but it all depends really, thts how we used to lower our sports car, cut half inch off and itd drop the car 2 inches

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Yup-this is just the end of the overload spring which doesn’t come in contact with the rest of the spring pack unless it is under significant load/compression. I’m considering removing that leaf all together to get better/softer ride. It’s basically a thick add a leaf.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh gotcha deff will be okay then, and yah removing that leaf would probably be best idea that way you dont compromise your springs

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,126 Posts
If you build the system right, theres no chance of ever hitting the springs with exhaust.

You can see the route mine takes here, kinda. It runs directly under the frame rail and out behind the shackle. Sorry about the rotated pics

And the tailpipe itself

And the full system

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
high flow y pipe helps better than anything then run a single in dual out. plenty of enough flow. headers while your in there imo. should make it pick up some decent power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts