Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brands of paint are the best to use? I need to know what brand is the best for when I repaint the 2-stage metallic silver on my bronco. It currently has Sikkens 2-stage from 1988.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Tractor paint is what I plan on using once it warms up enough to paint. Already bought 2 gallons fo the stuff.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
My vote still goes to rustoleum professional grade, with a roller.

Here are some examples:

IIRC, this is 90beater's brother's(millerman) camaro:

Someone finally gave the satin black(wasnt supposed to work)a try...
This is my favorite:

Here are the directions.
All the basics are covered in the 1st couple pages, but any question you can possibly think of has been covered throughout the 150+ pages
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&an=0&page=0#Post2655425
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3493382&an=0&page=0#Post3493382

You can do everything for under $100. Just take a trip down to Lowes/Home Depot and pick up a gallon($50) + the rollers($10+). Take another trip to your local paint store, and buy a gallon of 100% PURE mineral spirits, and the various grits of sand paper($20-$30). Start rolling.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Those results are great looking for a roller application. I remember a friend in high school did his jeep paint with a roller and it showed. This stuff you can't even tell.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Those results are great looking for a roller application. I remember a friend in high school did his jeep paint with a roller and it showed. This stuff you can't even tell.
Yep, that's the best part.

There are a couple spots on my hood, where if I get at the right angle I can see a roller line or 2, but they're pretty subtle.

I learned a lot the first go around. The next time I paint, the finished product will look tons better.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
What brands of paint are the best to use? I need to know what brand is the best for when I repaint the 2-stage metallic silver on my bronco. It currently has Sikkens 2-stage from 1988.
If you are currently using a product you are familiar with, just use it. I have bought the cheep paint and had good results and the expensive stuff which ended up costing about a g note for all the paint, primer, clear and reducer, I can't remember the name right now but it was a European paint.

I actually got my best paint job from a cheap generic paint. As far as durability, they all react to the sun, but I can't say which is better, for the most part, since most the cars I painted were for selling purposses. I can say that when I spent the grand on paint, it kept it's shine for the whole time I had it and then my dad. It was still shiny like the day I painted it about 15 years later when my parents sold it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
5 coats of rustoleum thinned with mineral spirits sanded with 800gr paper between coats final sanded with 1000 then 2000.
It will polish/shine like you cant believe.
If I do this again I will just use real auto paint.

Diamont I have used and like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts