Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best power tools to have for working on your Bronco, and removing things like stubborn bolts, cutting off, or drilling out rivets. I'm curious, because as I get into doing more mods on my rig, I want to be able to do them myself. Right now I have a complete set of good hand tools, but I know there are certain power tools I'm going to need. What are really the most important? I'm thinking like a die grinder, and things along those lines. Thanks.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
A good old Torch, or if ya can afford it a Plasma Cutter----Those are really cool!!!!! A good grinder would be next in line---Fog

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I got one of those Northern Tool catalogs and saw the plasma cutters in there, those ain't cheap..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, I think that's the way I'm probably going to go. From the stand point of the time those tools will save me in making repairs it should more than justify the cost.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
You can do a lot with a good grinder and drill. The cheap HF grinders are ok for grinding, but I love my Milwaukee, about $100 from Home Depot. Throw some cutting discs on it and you can cut a lot of stuff. I think those two things are most important.

I went for years without a Sawzall and never really missed it, I don't think they're all they're cracked up to be. I'd get a chop saw before a Sawzall (I did). I cut all my sheetmetal with a grinder, worked way better and more versatile than a reciprocating.

I've got a DeWalt reciprocating saw now, it's great but doesn't see that much use.

If you've got a good compressor, an impact wrench is worth every penny. Air ratchets are pretty handy, too along with a die grinder and rotary cut-off tool.

Oxy-acet torches are cool for cutting thicker stuff if you're on a budget (they're still not exactly cheap tho), and of course plasmas rock. Don't be fooled by cheaper plasmas, some of the less expensive ones say they'll cut 3/16" which isn't much, and they do it REAL slow. To get a plasma worth a darn you need to spend $1500 minimum IMO. If you can't cut at least 3/8" plate if not 1/2" plate, why bother?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I'll be sporting for a grinder this weekend..By the way, what is the difference between a die grinder and a rotary cut off tool??

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Torch is the best all around
Can cut, heat, and bend stuff, all 3 come in very handy....

grinder is th ebest for the less $$ person. get a GOOOD 4 1/2" one. milwakee kicks ass
then for serious grinding i use a 7 1/2" Dewalt with 9" discs. dics last forever, dont explode, and grind stuff like butter due to the speed they turn at. downside is its a heavy, odd to handle thing. not something you want for the tight presice areas, but great for finishing/making peices. after a while both(two handed grinder) your hands get numb from holding it

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
whatever tools you buy, make sure that they're milwaukee. best damn tools around IMO.

a grinder and drill will get a lot done. torch is way faster and easier to use once you learn how.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
there is nothing more fun that a HAMMER!

I just got a 6amp Dewalt drill a week ago, it's the shit.

Air wrenches are not my fav. Once they reach maximum Tq they twist your wrist up. Impact wrench is worth every penny.

·
Registered
196 Posts
angle grinder, like BA said 4 1/2" and a larger one
1/2" reversible variable speed drill $$
circular saw with a metal cutting disc
cordless screwdriver for dash/trim screws
porta power for putting pressure on stuff
air compressor to run the IR244 impact gun
biggest MIG welder you can afford, which means save up and buy the biggest that will run on house power

·
Registered
401 Posts
I work as a factory rep. for a Abrasive manufacturer and we make anything and everything to do with grinding sanding... you can have your choice of a few different grinders to handle small task... I think a small 4" grinder is great for the tight places small jobs..Also you can put cuttoff disc on the 4" and get in tight places.... 41/2" grinders bodies are generally much bigger than a 4" and doesnt quite get in the tedious places...and of course for large surfaces a 7" or 9" does the heavy stuff/big surfaces....Also we make the best Flap disk there is period in 36,40,60,80 & 120 grit... awesome for grinding blending welds without chopping your pretty project up like a grinding disk..right angle die grinders or straight grinders are great for tedious spots too...with small 3" zizz/cut off wheels and mounted stone for grinding little places or bolts.... I'm partial to Dewalt for some reason although I hear Milwalkee is awesome too....me personally I have a 4" & 41/2" harbor freight grinders I use to just Demo our stuff.... I keep an inverter in my work truck and a hunk of steel with weld beads on it to show prospects our stuff...

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
m j said:
biggest MIG welder you can afford, which means save up and buy the biggest that will run on house power
What is "house power" in Canada? 65-70 volts? :goodfinge
I've got 220 in my garage do you?

·
Registered
196 Posts
where do you think your power comes from?

I wired a 50 amp breaker with 6 gauge for my Miller 251

so what do you have when the grid is up?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
jer.
get a grinder first. works great on all those ford rivets.
i have a makita that i paid 50 bucks for at hoe depot about 5 years ago. havent been able to kill it yet.
2nd a good 1/2 drill. get a high amp one. and one i with a warrenty. i burned mine up mixing tile grout, took it back and they gave me a new one.
a drill press is always nice.
and if your gonna do any steel work, a chop saw, or band saw is nice. i think thats next on my list if i get this mig from a buddy on mine.:thumbup
if i do, you'll have to come over and we'll practice making a new rear bumper for your truck.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
m j said:
where do you think your power comes from?

I wired a 50 amp breaker with 6 gauge for my Miller 251

so what do you have when the grid is up?
My power comes from my home town Lansing Michigan. I was just pick'n on ya Canuck. :beer

I have a big 100amp 220 panel in the garage, don't power anything larger than a bench grinder though :toothless
Someday I might actually "need" the 220 :shrug

When the grid is F'ed up I use my 1000watt generator :thumbup

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
My list in order of importance since you say you already have a good basic set of hand tools.

- 3/8" high speed drill and bits
- bench grinder with wire wheel
- 4.5" grinder
- large mouth vise (or as our site likes to call it "a Damager")
- tap and die set (the ut-o fixer)
- Drill Doctor
- air compressor (the bigger the better)
- 1/2" impact wrench (IR or better don't bother dickin' with a cheepy)
- 1/2" high torgue low speed drill and bits and hole saws
- 20 ton press
- 14" chop saw
- 220 MIG welder
- a big a$$ heavy steel table
- 3/8" 90 degree angle air drill
- saw-zal
- torch with cutting, drag and heating tips
- air die grinder
- 3/8" air rachet
- tube bender
- 14" sanding wheel
- plasma cutter
-lethe with a 1.5" pass throu...
- mill...
- pnumatic punch...

...sorry started going crazy tword the end.

But the best tool of all is still a B.A.H. on a short handle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts