Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Best Power Tools Tools To Have

3K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Dustin 
#1 ·
What are the best power tools to have for working on your Bronco, and removing things like stubborn bolts, cutting off, or drilling out rivets. I'm curious, because as I get into doing more mods on my rig, I want to be able to do them myself. Right now I have a complete set of good hand tools, but I know there are certain power tools I'm going to need. What are really the most important? I'm thinking like a die grinder, and things along those lines. Thanks.

#8 ·
You can do a lot with a good grinder and drill. The cheap HF grinders are ok for grinding, but I love my Milwaukee, about $100 from Home Depot. Throw some cutting discs on it and you can cut a lot of stuff. I think those two things are most important.

I went for years without a Sawzall and never really missed it, I don't think they're all they're cracked up to be. I'd get a chop saw before a Sawzall (I did). I cut all my sheetmetal with a grinder, worked way better and more versatile than a reciprocating.

I've got a DeWalt reciprocating saw now, it's great but doesn't see that much use.

If you've got a good compressor, an impact wrench is worth every penny. Air ratchets are pretty handy, too along with a die grinder and rotary cut-off tool.

Oxy-acet torches are cool for cutting thicker stuff if you're on a budget (they're still not exactly cheap tho), and of course plasmas rock. Don't be fooled by cheaper plasmas, some of the less expensive ones say they'll cut 3/16" which isn't much, and they do it REAL slow. To get a plasma worth a darn you need to spend $1500 minimum IMO. If you can't cut at least 3/8" plate if not 1/2" plate, why bother?

#10 ·
Torch is the best all around
Can cut, heat, and bend stuff, all 3 come in very handy....

grinder is th ebest for the less $$ person. get a GOOOD 4 1/2" one. milwakee kicks ass
then for serious grinding i use a 7 1/2" Dewalt with 9" discs. dics last forever, dont explode, and grind stuff like butter due to the speed they turn at. downside is its a heavy, odd to handle thing. not something you want for the tight presice areas, but great for finishing/making peices. after a while both(two handed grinder) your hands get numb from holding it

#13 ·
angle grinder, like BA said 4 1/2" and a larger one
1/2" reversible variable speed drill $$
circular saw with a metal cutting disc
cordless screwdriver for dash/trim screws
porta power for putting pressure on stuff
air compressor to run the IR244 impact gun
biggest MIG welder you can afford, which means save up and buy the biggest that will run on house power

#14 ·
I work as a factory rep. for a Abrasive manufacturer and we make anything and everything to do with grinding sanding... you can have your choice of a few different grinders to handle small task... I think a small 4" grinder is great for the tight places small jobs..Also you can put cuttoff disc on the 4" and get in tight places.... 41/2" grinders bodies are generally much bigger than a 4" and doesnt quite get in the tedious places...and of course for large surfaces a 7" or 9" does the heavy stuff/big surfaces....Also we make the best Flap disk there is period in 36,40,60,80 & 120 grit... awesome for grinding blending welds without chopping your pretty project up like a grinding disk..right angle die grinders or straight grinders are great for tedious spots too...with small 3" zizz/cut off wheels and mounted stone for grinding little places or bolts.... I'm partial to Dewalt for some reason although I hear Milwalkee is awesome too....me personally I have a 4" & 41/2" harbor freight grinders I use to just Demo our stuff.... I keep an inverter in my work truck and a hunk of steel with weld beads on it to show prospects our stuff...

#16 ·
where do you think your power comes from?

I wired a 50 amp breaker with 6 gauge for my Miller 251

so what do you have when the grid is up?

#17 ·
jer.
get a grinder first. works great on all those ford rivets.
i have a makita that i paid 50 bucks for at hoe depot about 5 years ago. havent been able to kill it yet.
2nd a good 1/2 drill. get a high amp one. and one i with a warrenty. i burned mine up mixing tile grout, took it back and they gave me a new one.
a drill press is always nice.
and if your gonna do any steel work, a chop saw, or band saw is nice. i think thats next on my list if i get this mig from a buddy on mine.:thumbup
if i do, you'll have to come over and we'll practice making a new rear bumper for your truck.

#18 ·
m j said:
where do you think your power comes from?

I wired a 50 amp breaker with 6 gauge for my Miller 251

so what do you have when the grid is up?
My power comes from my home town Lansing Michigan. I was just pick'n on ya Canuck. :beer

I have a big 100amp 220 panel in the garage, don't power anything larger than a bench grinder though :toothless
Someday I might actually "need" the 220 :shrug

When the grid is F'ed up I use my 1000watt generator :thumbup

#20 ·
My list in order of importance since you say you already have a good basic set of hand tools.

- 3/8" high speed drill and bits
- bench grinder with wire wheel
- 4.5" grinder
- large mouth vise (or as our site likes to call it "a Damager")
- tap and die set (the ut-o fixer)
- Drill Doctor
- air compressor (the bigger the better)
- 1/2" impact wrench (IR or better don't bother dickin' with a cheepy)
- 1/2" high torgue low speed drill and bits and hole saws
- 20 ton press
- 14" chop saw
- 220 MIG welder
- a big a$$ heavy steel table
- 3/8" 90 degree angle air drill
- saw-zal
- torch with cutting, drag and heating tips
- air die grinder
- 3/8" air rachet
- tube bender
- 14" sanding wheel
- plasma cutter
-lethe with a 1.5" pass throu...
- mill...
- pnumatic punch...

...sorry started going crazy tword the end.

But the best tool of all is still a B.A.H. on a short handle.

#21 ·
GearHead said:
jer.
get a grinder first. works great on all those ford rivets.
i have a makita that i paid 50 bucks for at hoe depot about 5 years ago. havent been able to kill it yet.
2nd a good 1/2 drill. get a high amp one. and one i with a warrenty. i burned mine up mixing tile grout, took it back and they gave me a new one.
a drill press is always nice.
and if your gonna do any steel work, a chop saw, or band saw is nice. i think thats next on my list if i get this mig from a buddy on mine.:thumbup
if i do, you'll have to come over and we'll practice making a new rear bumper for your truck.
Thanks, I just might take you up on that.. I guess I will get this started by purchasing a grinder, a heavy duty drill and a torch this weekend..That should at least get me started in the right direction. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one of those plasma deals or combo welding/cutting systems.

#22 ·
dogonmut said:
- Drill Doctor
Without a drill press I'm constantly dulling bits. Do these things work? I've been eyeing one.

#25 ·
Keith_L said:
Without a drill press I'm constantly dulling bits. Do these things work? I've been eyeing one.
Some may disagree but I have had great luck with mine. Of course it won't sharpen bits that have been cooked by constant overheating but I have had mine for over a year and am still on the same set of bits.

If you're the kind of guy that doesn't drill a pilot hole and progressively step up the size hole to your finished hole size or if you don't use a good cutting oil while you drill there's really no help for the abuse that's being inflicted on your bits. Plus buying a quality set to start with is a good idea.

I've seen guys try to cut 5/8 holes in 1/4" plate with out even a pilot hole and wonder why their bit stopped cutting after the first hole. Your tools will only work as well as you treat them. No one would run their $2000.00 welder or their $1500.00 plasma cutter beyond it's duty cycle but I've seen guys that own these tools burn up drill bits like they have a tree full of them in their back yard.

Stupid is as stupid does.

...sorry got on a rant.

So Kieth, to answer your question, I like mine. I keeps my bits nice and sharp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.