Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my radiator died yesterday and I want to replace it with a very good one.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
14 Posts
Im following this because I would also like to know what people think. My radiator has had a small leak since I bought the bronco and it has not gotten any worst so I have prioritized other repairs before it but it is something that I'm gonna be fixing here in the near future. I have been looking at champion radiators 3 core radiator but I can't find any decent information about them as far as to the build quality. They are also out of stock on pretty much everything right now.

·
Man of endless projects
9,231 Posts
there are some very nice all aluminum radiators available online, Champion being the most recognized name. they have amazing cooling and look great. many people love them and last a long time

the problem i have with buying a radiator online like that is warranty. i have heard of good number of people who has absolutely terrible luck with them inclueding a friends of mine with a bronco. i have heard of people needing to warrenty them out once or twice due to developing leaks. and thats not always such an easy thing to do when you have to ship your old back plus the downtime of having them need to ship a new one.

that being said, i believe that there must be a common issue with these people who need to warrenty them out several times due to leaks. my friends bronco was on like radiator 7 within 3 years. 4 of those were champion, two were summit racing brand, and i think the other was some other brand. this indicates its not necessarily the radiator but seems like something with the truck itself. we never actually found the issue, we put in a auto part store aluminum/plastic a couple months ago and hopefully it holds out. i was thinking something with electrolysis was causing the radiators to go bad. so maybe it is something with the vehicles themselfs.

i actually have one of the old champions laying around i was going to try and fix and use in my mud truck. but when i pressure tested it, it was leaking along the whole side of both ends going into the tanks. its alsmost as if something corrosive ate it from inside. his coolant always looked perfect, we always mixed distilled water + antifreeze ourselfs. no outside damage to radiators. we replaced his engine and it still caused it. not really sure what was happening but it makes me weary about going with them

the auto part store ones are also not super amazing. i get leaks on them occasionally after some years. but at least i can warranty it fast and easy same day. so thats what i use

·
Registered
814 Posts
I got mine online and have been thrilled. Solid aluminum from 1800radiator. Champion rads are great, but I got this one for under $200 several years ago. No hint of a leak and towing or not, 50° or 90° the temp needle barely moves.
It helps they have an outlet in Eugene so I picked up up there. Got some funny looks as I got it home by strapping it to the backseat of my motorcycle against the back trunk (I had a Goldwing then).
I have never liked the crimped on end tanks of standard radiators.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
rock auto has a few "standard" replacements. but they're all seemingly spectra-level parts. with that in mind i'd buy from a convenient local parts store where they give you a lifetime warranty. if that proves to be unreliable then maybe i could justify the cost of an all aluminum performance radiator. but for the difference in price i'm team OEM.

·
Super Moderator
25,819 Posts
Yo djyaz,
I used a local radiator repair shop that repaied tge Plastic End Cap Leak "...Plastic radiator tank and gasket replacements. In this procedure the radiator is removed from the vehicle and placed in a special fixture to detach the damaged tank and/or gasket. The tank and/or gasket is replaced with a readily available new or restored part. Afterward, the radiator is reassembled and tested..."
Source: by NARSA narsa.org

They also flushed the core and auto trans cooler lines, and replaced severely rusted lines.
Good fortune!
Warranty was 2 years
Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,996 Posts
BeCool. One year warranty, plus an extra year of you use their coolant.

Mine is a triple pass, dual 1"core, aluminum circle track unit. I went with a universal chevy style due to the inlet/outlet being reversed from a SBF on my 300 inline six. During normal driving, it never gets more than 10 degrees over my thermostat rating of 180°. Was 300 bucks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 3 row core all aluminum champion that has been great for me for a few years now. Definitely has more cooling capacity than stock too.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
I went to the Daytona turkey run a couple of years ago and came across this radiator company. It had to be the best built radiator I've ever seen. If I ever had to buy one it would be from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
I went to the Daytona turkey run a couple of years ago and came across this radiator company. It had to be the best built radiator I've ever seen. If I ever had to buy one it would be from them.
That looks like another great resource! Thank you!

·
Registered
978 Posts
there are some very nice all aluminum radiators available online, Champion being the most recognized name. they have amazing cooling and look great. many people love them and last a long time

the problem i have with buying a radiator online like that is warranty. i have heard of good number of people who has absolutely terrible luck with them inclueding a friends of mine with a bronco. i have heard of people needing to warrenty them out once or twice due to developing leaks. and thats not always such an easy thing to do when you have to ship your old back plus the downtime of having them need to ship a new one.

that being said, i believe that there must be a common issue with these people who need to warrenty them out several times due to leaks. my friends bronco was on like radiator 7 within 3 years. 4 of those were champion, two were summit racing brand, and i think the other was some other brand. this indicates its not necessarily the radiator but seems like something with the truck itself. we never actually found the issue, we put in a auto part store aluminum/plastic a couple months ago and hopefully it holds out. i was thinking something with electrolysis was causing the radiators to go bad. so maybe it is something with the vehicles themselfs.

i actually have one of the old champions laying around i was going to try and fix and use in my mud truck. but when i pressure tested it, it was leaking along the whole side of both ends going into the tanks. its alsmost as if something corrosive ate it from inside. his coolant always looked perfect, we always mixed distilled water + antifreeze ourselfs. no outside damage to radiators. we replaced his engine and it still caused it. not really sure what was happening but it makes me weary about going with them

the auto part store ones are also not super amazing. i get leaks on them occasionally after some years. but at least i can warranty it fast and easy same day. so thats what i use
I kibitzed over radiators as well during the engine swap. In the end warranty and the ability to quickly replace the radiator if needed won out.

Picked mine up from the Advance Auto 2 miles from the house.

Reactions: dash_cam

·
Registered
1994 EB 5.8 E4od with manual T case.
18 Posts
Do the champion 3 row radiators bolt right in place with the stock shroud? I have the thicker tow package radiator right now.

Are the Mishimoto 2 row factory replacement style ones any good?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the champion 3 row radiators bolt right in place with the stock shroud? I have the thicker tow package radiator right now.

Are the Mishimoto 2 row factory replacement style ones any good?
+1

I’m also interested in if there is a champion or other higher end 3 row that just bolts up.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,996 Posts
+1

I’m also interested in if there is a champion or other higher end 3 row that just bolts up.

Yes.

Radiator Direct-Fit Natural Finish for 85-95 Ford Bronco/F150 Truck Be Cool Radiator | Be Cool Radiators

My BeCool was half that price and is a better radiator. But its not a direct fit. And its a GM outlet design due to the 300 being opposite the SBF.

GM Triple Pass Race Radiator Dual 1 Inch Core with 1-1/2 Inch Inlet Core Width Be Cool Radiator | Be Cool Radiators

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed a champion 3 row radiator sunday. The one that was in it had a slow leak since I bought it. It bolted in super easy. Almost looks a little smaller than what was in it. I have not put in fan shroud yet I am still making a bracket for the b&m trans cooler.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I mean if you want hands down best.... probably Ron Davis. They said $1500 for the radiator and electric fans. I cried a bit but I'm sure that's what I'm going with. You pay for quality.

Mishimoto has been solid on other things I have run and I would personally trust them more than the other ones. Lots of people say champion is extremely hit or miss.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My votes on murray, havent had a issue with any ive put on and have one in my bronco for about 5 years now. Lifetime warranty from oreillys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts