Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I'm the hooligan that put a Coyote in a 1980 bronco, details here... 5.0 Coyote Engine in 1980 FSB

I've been using in the sand a lot lately and I need a better suspension setup to soak up the bumps. I'd like good bang for buck but I'll spend up to $4-5K if I need to although I'd rather not. I hear procomp a lot but oddly their kit starts in 1981, anyone know why? I've also heard the king/fox shocks are expensive but worth it.

What do you all recommend?

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
583 Posts
Seems like there are only 3 major brands I see mentioned and I can’t remember all three but one is Desolate Motorsports. I’m sure someone will chime in soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A popular one around here in Michigan for running in the sand dunes along Lake Michigan is the Deaver setup 5.5” Superflex that JBG sells, along with a set of Bilstein 5100s.

I know about 5 or 6 Broncos that run that setup, including me.
Thanks! Is the ride pretty soft? I’m tired of getting “bucked” in the Bronco :)

Great looking rig!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like there are only 3 major brands I see mentioned and I can’t remember all three but one is Desolate Motorsports. I’m sure someone will chime in soon!

Thanks!

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,517 Posts
Thanks! Is the ride pretty soft? I’m tired of getting “bucked” in the Bronco :)

Great looking rig!

Thanks bud, yes Deavers are known for being soft and forgiving. Here’s the PNs for the springs on my 96 - JBG has the full kit for 80-86 though. I've heard good things about the King shocks too - I know a few guys running those with remote reservoirs.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
A popular one around here in Michigan for running in the sand dunes along Lake Michigan is the Deaver setup 5.5” Superflex that JBG sells, along with a set of Bilstein 5100s.

I know about 5 or 6 Broncos that run that setup, including me.
Are they having a red jeep safari behind you there?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,878 Posts
Depends on the Budget.
I really like Desolte stuff and their service is top notch.
Solot, Giant, AutoFab, & Threat also all good parts.

I have a combo of the above waiting to go on my 92 Bronco. Coilovers, bypass shocks, cut n turned beams, radius arms, etc...

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Reason for the 1981 starting point is the swiss cheese frame that 80s and a few 81s had. The extra leverage puts undue stress on the weaker frame, and they wont warrant it.

It WILL fit on your 80 just fine. In terms of "box" lifts, the procomp is the best. It rides and flexes better than the other top dog, skyjacker.

If you've got 5k to spend, desolate or solo are you best bets for the front suspension.

Run deaver j40s as the rear leaf springs.

And for the love of all that is holy, run extended radius arms. They make all the difference in ride and flex. Ill never go back to stock arms and drop brackets again.

Coilovers are neat, but i doubt you'd notice a difference under 100mph.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reason for the 1981 starting point is the swiss cheese frame that 80s and a few 81s had. The extra leverage puts undue stress on the weaker frame, and they wont warrant it.

It WILL fit on your 80 just fine. In terms of "box" lifts, the procomp is the best. It rides and flexes better than the other top dog, skyjacker.

If you've got 5k to spend, desolate or solo are you best bets for the front suspension.

Run deaver j40s as the rear leaf springs.

And for the love of all that is holy, run extended radius arms. They make all the difference in ride and flex. Ill never go back to stock arms and drop brackets again.

Coilovers are neat, but i doubt you'd notice a difference under 100mph.
Helpful, thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts