Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my shocks have gone bad in my 1994 Ford Bronco XLT. It is stock height and has 33x10.5 tires. Recently got a rancho steering dampener and was looking at Rancho shock to match. Any suggestions on which ones to get that are the correct size. Thanks!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,340 Posts
If get Rancho I would get hte adjustable ones, just to be able to dial them in to your specific truck and ride wants/needs.

Reactions: fordbronco1995

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
988 Posts
You need to describe your Bronco's intended usage so we know which shocks might work for your needs. I use my Bronco as my DD and am setup for Highway and Around town driving and I am extremely happy with my (Quad) KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, they are extremely affordable online and they carry a really good warranty and they just flat out work with no rattling of your brain. Now for any other usage as in off-road others will have to chime in. There are plenty of Threads on here about shocks and plenty of opinions on plenty of brands and a wide variance on cost. I'm Prejudice about KYB's and use them on all my vehicles when the time comes.
I am also not a believer in the Steering Stabilizer/Damper unit on anything other than on an Extreme off-road vehicle. It is used too much to cover up other problems that need to be addressed. It is a Waste of money, sorry just my "Opinion"!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,516 Posts
I have had the 9000s (adjustables) on 2 different Broncos and never once changed the settings. To hard to tell where the dial was. Not a big fan of the rancho. Stock height is easy just look up 94 Bronco on what ever site and get the shock part number for the brand of your choice. I ran the cheap pro-comps for a while they were nice for a short time but quickly died. The upside was they were right about $150 for the set. I believe now that, at least up to a point you will get better ride/longer life out of higher end shocks. To that end I just bought Bilstein 7100s Custom valving and ends but the stock 4600s are said to be good.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,340 Posts
I agree on the 4600's being good for stock height truck, with typical uses.

I had good luck with the adjustability of the 9000's on the 2 bronco's I had them on, but I would not buy them again either (other better shocks out there now). I would run a higher setting when street driving and turn them all the way down offroad. I will say if you do not move the dial routinely, they will seize after awhile. I did not have issues with the settings but I am used to adjusting stuff on the fly on a ATV by reaching down while riding too, so YMMV there....

I think the Bilsteins or the SkyJacker M95s are better, the FOX 2.0's will also likely be a good fit, though propably the upper end of the price range. I believe Desolate sells a package for a near stock height truck with the Fox's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to describe your Bronco's intended usage so we know which shocks might work for your needs. I use my Bronco as my DD and am setup for Highway and Around town driving and I am extremely happy with my (Quad) KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, they are extremely affordable online and they carry a really good warranty and they just flat out work with no rattling of your brain. Now for any other usage as in off-road others will have to chime in. There are plenty of Threads on here about shocks and plenty of opinions on plenty of brands and a wide variance on cost. I'm Prejudice about KYB's and use them on all my vehicles when the time comes.
I am also not a believer in the Steering Stabilizer/Damper unit on anything other than on an Extreme off-road vehicle. It is used too much to cover up other problems that need to be addressed. It is a Waste of money, sorry just my "Opinion"!!!!!
Recently my shocks have gone bad in my 1994 Ford Bronco XLT. It is stock height and has 33x10.5 tires. Recently got a rancho steering dampener and was looking at Rancho shock to match. Any suggestions on which ones to get that are the correct size. Thanks!
What I was intended on doing was every now and then I will go on trails (nothing extreme) but I am looking for more performance oriented I have a long life.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
988 Posts
They are a performance oriented shock that gives the vehicle great ride and handling characteristics, look them up and compare with the Stock replacement selection and the Gas-A Justs, then compare to the next line up in their catalog. They will work fine I'm sure for light off roading, but you be the judge and choose whatever makes you happy. I hit the highways at 75mph and tow a 3500lb Donzi 22 Classic and like to take the off ramps at speed and I'm happy with them, I just don't/haven't hit any off road trails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are a performance oriented shock that gives the vehicle great ride and handling characteristics, look them up and compare with the Stock replacement selection and the Gas-A Justs, then compare to the next line up in their catalog. They will work fine I'm sure for light off roading, but you be the judge and choose whatever makes you happy. I hit the highways at 75mph and tow a 3500lb Donzi 22 Classic and like to take the off ramps at speed and I'm happy with them, I just don't/haven't hit any off road trails.
What are the name of the shocks that you are talking about?

·
Registered
988 Posts
go to the link below and look at all the different shocks from Stock Replacement to Performance to Lift options!!!!! The ones I have and like are the Performance Upgrade Gas-a-Just.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unless you enjoy a rough ride, I'd stay away from the Ranchos of any sort.
I've got Bilstein 4600s on my '86 and my '95 and they ride great on and off road.

Reactions: Bruners4

·
Registered
757 Posts
Bilstein 5100 and Rancho 9000 are some of the higher end shocks recommended around here.
Fox shocks are supposedly designed for weekend/offroading toys and you may not like the ride otherwise.

I decided I want Rancho 9000 series adjustables for when I eventully get new shocks.
You adjust them by sound, not sight.
Turn the adjust knob all the way to the left. Then each click to the right is a different setting.
I think it's softest on the far left and gradually stiffer as you turn to the right.
That's how I remember reading about them, but I could be wrong on the direction.

I'd have mine set to soft unless I go offroading and then I'd set them more firm.
Or for the rear, I'd set it firm if doing any trailering.

These are the unconfirmed part #'s I collected for my notes, for my '94 Bronco.

$236 Shocks Front inner Ranch RS999117 - Rancho RS9000XL Series Shock Absorber - RS999116

$236 Shocks Front outer Ranch RS999179 - Rancho RS9000XL Series Shock Absorber - RS999179

$236 Rear Shocks RS999116 Rancho RS999116 Rancho RS9000XL Shock Absorbers | Summit Racing

$12 Rear Shock Axle Shim Kit RS8125 (may be Required on Rear Axle for Shock-to-Axle Clearance) - Rancho RS8125 Rancho Leaf Spring Shims | Summit Racing

Supposedly they will rust a bit in salt environments, so make sure to paint (or maybe clear coat?) before installing them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bilstein 5100 and Rancho 9000 are some of the higher end shocks recommended around here.
Fox shocks are supposedly designed for weekend/offroading toys and you may not like the ride otherwise.

I decided I want Rancho 9000 series adjustables for when I eventully get new shocks.
You adjust them by sound, not sight.
Turn the adjust knob all the way to the left. Then each click to the right is a different setting.
I think it's softest on the far left and gradually stiffer as you turn to the right.
That's how I remember reading about them, but I could be wrong on the direction.

I'd have mine set to soft unless I go offroading and then I'd set them more firm.
Or for the rear, I'd set it firm if doing any trailering.

These are the unconfirmed part #'s I collected for my notes, for my '94 Bronco.

$236 Shocks Front inner Ranch RS999117 - Rancho RS9000XL Series Shock Absorber - RS999116

$236 Shocks Front outer Ranch RS999179 - Rancho RS9000XL Series Shock Absorber - RS999179

$236 Rear Shocks RS999116 Rancho RS999116 Rancho RS9000XL Shock Absorbers | Summit Racing

$12 Rear Shock Axle Shim Kit RS8125 (may be Required on Rear Axle for Shock-to-Axle Clearance) - Rancho RS8125 Rancho Leaf Spring Shims | Summit Racing

Supposedly they will rust a bit in salt environments, so make sure to paint (or maybe clear coat?) before installing them.
Thanks will look into!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts