Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 Bronco XLT 5.0, E4OD, 31x10.5R15 BF Goodrich A/T on OEM Rims, Rust Resto w/Custom Suspension
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In an effort to resolve my sloppy steering issues, I'm going to buy a new RedHead gearbox and (probably) a Borgeson shaft. They are offered by many vendors, and I wanted to get some input from those that may have done this recently and hear about their experience. Hopefully, I'll get enough info to determine the best place to buy them and how the "core charge" thing works. I'm concerned that if my current box is too corroded, I won't get anything back. Any thoughts on who I should buy the stuff from?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
4,019 Posts
I would imagine buying a Redhead steering gear, from anyone other than Redhead directly, would be buying from a reseller. I actually called them and ordered that way when I did it. You'd be able to ask them whatever questions you have that way and maybe even get some options that aren't listed on the website. I know getting a brand new sector shaft rather than a used one was an option when I ordered mine, but it was significantly more expensive which is expected. I did not get a new shaft. lol

The core charge is like any other core charge. They charge you a fee, when you return your old one you get the fee back. However, if there are any unusable parts, they prorate how much you get back. Cracked sector shaft? You're getting a lot less back. Aftermarket box rather than an OEM box? You're getting less back. Etc etc. The sector shaft was cracked on my OE box which was discovered after I sent it to them and they disassembled it.

They charge you shipping, which you'll obviously not get that back. Mine was fairly inexpensive at the time when I got mine a couple years ago. They are in Washington and I live in Idaho, so it was something like $30 each way.

The Borgeson shaft is probably fine with ordering wherever you can get it cheapest. I don't know if you can order it directly from them anyway.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Their core charge statements didnt set well with me either. I changed the gear in my 96 and I kept the gear to send them for a rebuild. At the time I was able to get a BBB box for less than the price of the Redhead core, even without turning mine in. No I'm not saying the BBB box is better, it was just a temp solution that will allow me to enjoy my Bronco while sending them one upfront.

If you could find one in a junk yard, that's in good physical condition, you may come out ahead pulling it and sending it in for a rebuild.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: thedeuce01

·
Man of endless projects
10,375 Posts
if you want a Redhead id deal directly with Redhead.

the Bluetop is who i went with as its alittle cheaper and works great. defiantly better than any reman i ever had

unless you gearbox has some actual damage i dont think the core charge will be much of an issue. im sure some people have had issues with it but i havent heard of any. if its jsut a worn out box but otherwise fine i dont think you would have any issues.

the Borg shaft you would look u pthe part number and see who sells it cheaper. i got both mine from Amazon cause it was cheapest at the time. not sure about now. they seem to only sell the dampeneed version for the 92-96 trucks which is about 300$

·
Premium Member
1994 Bronco XLT 5.0, E4OD, 31x10.5R15 BF Goodrich A/T on OEM Rims, Rust Resto w/Custom Suspension
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you want a Redhead id deal directly with Redhead.

the Bluetop is who i went with as its alittle cheaper and works great. defiantly better than any reman i ever had

unless you gearbox has some actual damage i dont think the core charge will be much of an issue. im sure some people have had issues with it but i havent heard of any. if its jsut a worn out box but otherwise fine i dont think you would have any issues.

the Borg shaft you would look u pthe part number and see who sells it cheaper. i got both mine from Amazon cause it was cheapest at the time. not sure about now. they seem to only sell the dampeneed version for the 92-96 trucks which is about 300$
My gearbox is just rusted pretty bad from living in Kansas for 25ish years. The shop I had align it couldn't even break loose the "tightening screw" to remove some of the play.

I've read about the Bluetops, but wasn't sure if they were as good as the Redtop or not. I'll look at them a bit more.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did the Redhead box several years ago, and while it helped, it didn't fix the slop enough. Finally bit the bullet and did the Desolate Motorsports kit with the optional Borgenson shaft. Their kit replaces the steering box, adds a Saginaw pump, hoses, all new F250 light duty ball joints and tie rods. Its not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion. In a few years I'll upgrade the box to another Redhead and yes my core will be my old Redhead, lol. I've had the kit on for over a year now and its been great. Keep in mind, you will always have "numb" steering. Thats a quote from Car and Drivers review of the 5th gen.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep in mind, you will always have "numb" steering.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to keep that one in mind. It's not fair trying to compare a 28 y/o Bronco to a 2010's era anything. I just need the thing to not float and randomly coast to another lane.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,059 Posts
BroncoAir sells a white top gear box made by RedHead. Idk how price compares. BroncoAir is a long time member here at FSB.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
By your gear box directly from either RedHead or BlueTop… which one is better… they are both equally great boxes… comes down to shipping prices pretty much. I use RedHead because they are semi local to me, so turn around time is very short… usually I can get them a day or two after I placed the order.

·
Man of endless projects
10,375 Posts
also note that Redhead usually has a promo code out there somewhere to save a few bucks. but Bluetop is pretty much always the cheaper option regardless.

the story ive always heard is Bluetop was started by people who use to work at Redhead. the parts and process are basicly suppose to be the same. just a little cheaper. Redhead has a pretty big name and you cannot expect 100% of people to be happy with either. so there have been some complaints with Redhead by some people but most people are fine with them. im sure you would be happy with either

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have blue top. I put one on my 78. I liked it so much I got another for my 79.
Both Broncos now drive straight down the road better than ever before.
Yes red top and blue top began as one.
Having no experience with red top I can t comment on them tho I imagine it’s good

Blue top is no problem with core long as it’s not busted up.
For about 50 bucks they buy and send you a return label for ups
They send you a green tag that you put on the core. Put core in same box new gear came in and your all set. Easy easy
I recommend them strongly. Good communication customer service.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Following up on the thread I started, I ended up going with a Blue Top from Blue Top Steering Gears and I got the Borgeson shaft from Summit Racing. The Blue Top cost $475 total, including core charge and return shipping. Kudos to Summit Racing for having good sales service and price matching Jegs at $302 total. Total cost for the parts once I get the core charge refunded will be $627.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts