Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Bronco, 351w, E4OD, Eddie Bauer
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what ball joints and tie rod brands do you recommend for light use. I’m on a budget and can’t really afford stuff like the spicer ball joints.
I rarely use my bronco for off-roading and any off-roading I do is mild. It’s mainly used on city streets.
I read the mevotech terrain tough ball joints are good.
FYI I’m stock height running 31 inch tires

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m doing a whole front end rebuild as it all needs changing so i’m thinking of all the other parts in mind when running a budget

·
Registered
476 Posts
Moog, and Rockauto has good pricing, just have to watch the shipping as they charge from each warehouse items come from (can sometimes beat their automated system a little). Was cheaper than my 10% over cost discount I had when working at an auto parts store (Parts City, aka independently owned Oreilly's). Was just under $200 at the time with shipping for the tie rod ends since they were in the same warehouse. The ball joints I bought were slightly cheaper from Amazon for just under $50 for one side (bought well after and only needed one side, had a wreck and didn't get a chance to install yet).

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 8.8, 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
138 Posts
I would stay away from Moog. Quality has gone downhill.

I run NAPA Gold, or AC Delco ball joints and tie rod ends. One of my employees redid his whole front end with Moog and one of the tie rod ends ripped out of the link. He was lucky he was only going 35 mph down a back road.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would stay away from Moog. Quality has gone downhill.

I run NAPA Gold, or AC Delco ball joints and tie rod ends. One of my employees redid his whole front end with Moog and one of the tie rod ends ripped out of the link. He was lucky he was only going 35 mph down a back road.
NAPA Gold ball joints are made by Moog, or at least they were a couple years ago when I did them on my Ram.

·
Registered
138 Posts
NAPA Gold ball joints are made by Moog, or at least they were a couple years ago when I did them on my Ram.
Really? How could you tell? This is also quite disheartening if it's true today...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Umm I worked at Napa and we had a class on them put on by Moog.
With the counterfeit parts coming in from China, I would bet Moog is getting a bad rap because they aren’t actually Moog parts.... Napa gets their steering and suspension parts directly from Moog put into their own NAPA Gold packaging. It’s the same thing with their filters, Made by Wixx, just put into a Napa box.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Umm I worked at Napa and we had a class on them put on by Moog.
With the counterfeit parts coming in from China, I would bet Moog is getting a bad rap because they aren’t actually Moog parts.... Napa gets their steering and suspension parts directly from Moog put into their own NAPA Gold packaging. It’s the same thing with their filters, Made by Wixx, just put into a Napa box.
So Moog from, say, Amazon is garbage, but Moog from some reputable auto parts store is okay?

I have had terrible luck with Duralast parts and Dorman parts. I try not to buy any of those, and don't even shop at Auto Zone anymore. Online seems to be the best, so that I can actually pick out a decent brand.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes... Auto Zone isn’t a professional parts store... if your mechanic uses Auto Zone parts, find a new mechanic... Professionals use NAPA where they must and genuine parts from dealers where they can... and as a last resort the Auto Zone stores... ask for any part off the shelf at auto zone and compare it to a NAPA part... the quality is able to be seen. My pops and I were just talking about this yesterday in fact.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes... Auto Zone isn’t a professional parts store... if your mechanic uses Auto Zone parts, find a new mechanic... Professionals use NAPA where they must and genuine parts from dealers where they can... and as a last resort the Auto Zone stores... ask for any part off the shelf at auto zone and compare it to a NAPA part... the quality is able to be seen. My pops and I were just talking about this yesterday in fact.
I went through three Duracrap switches in my LJ. It got to the point where I would tear the dash apart in the parking lot to exchange the parts. Then I tried their calipers, and every one of them pulled left or right. That was the point I swore off Auto Zone, which was almost 7 years ago. I'll drive right by them on a Sunday, and wait until Monday after work to run to NAPA.

·
Registered
724 Posts
One other thing on this subject... each part manufacturer has several different grades of parts... a high end, middle of the road, and consumer... always get the high end, they are designed and built better than OEM most of the time. Middle of the line is supposedly stock OEM quality, while the consumer line is made for those that throw parts at a rig trying to blanket fix a problem, and should be changed out very soon for a higher quality part.

·
Premium Member
4,517 Posts
Moog is probably your best bet because of how hard the ball joints are to do on Broncos. On a 5.0 explorer beater I used Ultra-Power (Rockauto house brand- similar to ebay wholesale) ball joints and upper control arms for last 60k miles with no failures. Greased them every 5k miles. I might get 90k out of them before they are worn out. I can feel some wear at 60k. Hard to complain when I only paid $3-4 for ea ball joint. On that same truck I put ebay whole sale inner tie rods at $15 shipped for a set (advertised lifetime warranty; which is probably impossible to warranty) and a $5-9 motorcraft outer tie rod end from amazon warehouse clearance and a outer tie rod of unknown brand from the junkyard. It's my trial vehicle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay I know to stay away from autozones brand. I’m torn on moog because it seems to be 50/50 on the quality.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,444 Posts
I bought the Oriley house brand for STUPID low pricing as I didn't want to put any money into my TTB with a D60 sitting in the weeds waiting for the rest of my parts. I put BJ's and a drag link into it for under $75 and it's been excellent handing hooning through ditches at high speed, plowing snow for 5 years and some hardcore wheeling on 32's locked front and rear. I'm talking catching air, WOT hill assaults and just general beatdowns without an issue. I would have expected something by now, but no. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, the cheap stuff has impressed me, and I'm a OE Spicer snob on everything...

Reactions: pascalroberts

·
Registered
476 Posts
The hoses are actually made by Gates. Just isn't up to the quality of what they put their name on so it gets passed down to the store brand. Similar thing in the firearms market when you see a good brand rifle for sell at Walmart for cheap. Just means the parts used weren't up to as higher standard as they sell in better stores after the manufacturing process, but still rolled off the same assembly line, or they just cut a few corners they wouldn't do for their branded parts that still works for the store brand.

The internet has made parts far more available for getting either getting branded OEM (Motorcraft branded) or from the actual manufacturer that the OE brands use at good prices, only trouble is counterfeit is easier to sneak in. If you do buy parts from Amazon, make sure they are being sold by Amazon and not a 3rd party, that way it reduces the chance of something slipping in as 3rd party sellers may not care as much to make sure they are always selling genuine parts, but otherwise check reviews for other sites and sellers to try and see if they are legit.

And I will say I trust Oreilly parts far more than Autozone...you can only replace an alternator so many times and be forced to go with the lower amperage replacement for so long...and my god how nasty the last one that went out was when I had taken the pulley off for another alternator that was laying around and could see in it. Makes you doubt they do anything more than clean the outside and test and see if it works and then send it out, which is probably the way they do it.

Also on the Moog, they do at least have a limited lifetime warranty (as long as you didn't break it doing something you shouldn't and maintained it properly, they will replace the part). But generally, as long as you try and find at least a name brand that isn't something that is a store exclusive (outside of a heavy duty shop that caters specifically to the market), you should be able to be fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Those ball joints at JBG seem to be a good price ($70 for all 4 plus tax/ship) just need to verify the brand with JBG. And the O’Reilly’s house brand tie rods (Masterpro) seem appealing after @KyleQ experience with them. got quoted $97 after tax for the whole set.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know if the AC Delco blue boot ball joints are made by spicer? They look like the Napa ones

1 - 20 of 30 Posts