Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it seems my search skills are weak because I couldn't find much on this.

I'm going to replace the radiator and hoses on my '96 5.0 in the next couple of weeks, and figure I may as well install a new water pump and gasket while I'm in there. Autozone has the Duralast for $28, but I know they aren't generally well-ragarded (though I've never heard anything about their water pumps.)

Can you guys give me any pros/cons to particular brands? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:rockon

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
I have never seen a waterpump comparison and that would be nice {and expensive} if that could be done. My next Waterpump will be an Edelbrock cause ive heard good things about the quality, But ill admit that i have nothing to really back that up with.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
I think most people would say, get one from a local autozone, advance, napa that is NEW, not a re-man, make sure it has a lifetime warranty. Look at it before you buy it. Some of the ones I have seen are very poorly made.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
I installed a new Duralast heavy duty water pump several years ago and thus far no problems.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Don't buy a waterpump from Discount, my buddy did and it didnt even last a year!! I bought a NEW tru-flow from Napa for $38 and its workin like a champ.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dont know about the water pump on my Bronco, but the Ranchero is running a reman pump I bought at Kragen almost 10 years ago. It was their stock replacement (reverse rotation, for a 5 liter Mustang), came with a lifetime warranty, and I think the manufacturer is CMP. At the time, Summit wanted like $100 for the edelbrock. The CMP set me back less than $20.

In reference to NOT buying rebuilt water pumps, why not? I was under the impression that the only thing that could go wrong with a water pump was the bearings and/or seals. Those items are replaced with new, so its basically new.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Dont know about the water pump on my Bronco, but the Ranchero is running a reman pump I bought at Kragen almost 10 years ago. It was their stock replacement (reverse rotation, for a 5 liter Mustang), came with a lifetime warranty, and I think the manufacturer is CMP. At the time, Summit wanted like $100 for the edelbrock. The CMP set me back less than $20.

In reference to NOT buying rebuilt water pumps, why not? I was under the impression that the only thing that could go wrong with a water pump was the bearings and/or seals. Those items are replaced with new, so its basically new.
Never really paid much attention to it but if a bearing goes out in anything else I've ever dealt with whatever the bearing is on usually gets damaged. So if it was bad enough wouldnt the blades be damaged?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
new or remanned come with new bearings,seals,and impeller.
the edelbrocks have a high-flow type impeller that moves more water, and so does flow cooler.i went with the latter and it's been going strong for 3 or 4 years now,and it was cheaper than the edelbrock (but still around $100).

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Does Edelbrock have a standard flow ?? I cant see a need for a hi-flow... no need and rushing the water out of the radiator too fast.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Does Edelbrock have a standard flow ?? I cant see a need for a hi-flow... no need and rushing the water out of the radiator too fast.
Exactly. Coolant carries the heat from the engine into the radiator, where it is cooled by air flow. The cooled down coolant then goes back into the engine to absorb more heat, and the cycle is continued.

If the coolant is not given enough time in the radiator to cool down (by being rushed through by a hi-flow water pump) the cooling system is not operating as effectively as it can.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i was told stock or even mildly modified engines dont need hi flo. hi flo is for engines creating hi hp which in turn creates a lot more heat. and also somethin about the type of cylinder walls u have in the block. but i cant remember what was said about that.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Best for the price is the ford racing M-8501-C50 at $44

Best quality is probably the edelbrock.

Almost all the parts store water pumps are made in china.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts