Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to clean your fuel injectors? i bought some lucas injection cleaner and it seemed to make it run a whole lot better but when that tank got at about a quarter tank it didn't run so good again. could i just need to do this a few times? is there a better additive/cleaner i should be using, or possibly a completely different tactic.

please help this first time bronco owner, trying to get by and upgrade my 93 351 eddie bauer on a very limit budget.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I would buy an injector rebuild kit and rebuild the injectors if you think that's the problem. Its certainly cheaper than buying newer injectors. When you rebuild the injectors, you remove the wire mesh filter, O-rings and injector cap, allow the injector to soak in seafoam or your preferred cleaner, install new filters, rings and caps and you should be good to go. You should also go get injectors out of a junkyard donor vehicle and clean those up if any are damaged.

One other thought. Could your fuel level sending unit be damaged in some way, showing you to have more gas than its supposed to? It could just be that your fuel pump isn't getting enough gas pushed through to keep pressure up. I assume you added gas to the tank when it started doing that, so how much did you put in?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to be honest im sure just about everything could be damaged lol. its only my 2nd vehicle the guy i bought it off of got it stuck window high in mud water so ive been trying to fix all those problems little by little as much as i can with my budget and not ever working on cars before. is there a way i could test the feul level sending unit?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,069 Posts
yo,
In addition to what AFBronco & JOWENS advised; this is by Ford;
in 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

Section 03-04B: Fuel Charging and Controls, 5.0L and 5.8L Engines
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Fuel Injectors
Removal

1.Perform Pre-Service procedures as described in Fuel Charging System in the Removal and Installation portion of this section.

2.Remove upper intake manifold (9424) as described in Section 03-01B, and fuel injection supply manifold (9F792) as described in Fuel Injection Supply Manifold in the Removal and Installation portion of this section.

3.Carefully remove electrical harness connectors from individual fuel injectors (9F593) as required.
4.Grasping fuel injector body, pull up while gently rocking fuel injector from side to side.
5. CAUTION: Do not attempt to clean the injector metering orifice with brushes.
NOTE: Deposit resistant injectors (DRI) do not need to be cleaned.
Inspect fuel injector O-rings (two per injector) for signs of deterioration. Replace as required.

Installation
1. CAUTION: Never use silicone grease. It will clog the fuel injectors.
Lubricate new O-rings with light grade oil XO-10W30-QSP or equivalent oil meeting Ford specification ESE-M2C153-E and install two on each fuel injector.
2.Install fuel injectors using light, twisting, pushing motion.
3.Install fuel injection supply manifold as described in Fuel Injection Supply Manifold in the Removal and Installation portion of this section.
4.Install electrical harness connectors to fuel injectors.
5.Install upper intake manifold as described in Section 03-01B. Perform Post-Service procedures as described in Fuel Charging System in the Removal and Installation portion of this section.

SEE Depictions
======

Deposit-Resistant Injector ID Chart TSB 93-15-07 for 93 Bronco and all models Except 4.0 Aerostar
Source: by Ford via http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=37850
EXCERPT; "... ISSUE: In-vehicle testing of multi-port fuel injectors, using Rotunda Fuel Injector Tester 164-R3750, will no longer be warranty reimbursable. Lack of tester updates and improvements in the design of fuel injectors has led to the discontinuation of this Service Procedure. A significant number of warranty returned injectors test within engineering specification. All diagnostic tools and procedures are being re-evaluated for effectiveness.

ACTION: Acceptable fuel injector tests include: Service Bay Diagnostic System (SBDS) relative injector flow, fuel pressure decay, cylinder drop/balance techniques, and misfire detection tools. Using the acceptable fuel injector tests eliminates the possibility of a misdiagnosed fuel injector concern due to inaccuracy of this test equipment. Since the introduction of Deposit Resistant Injectors in 1991, lean fuel conditions caused by deposit formation have been eliminated. Diagnostic concentration is on single fuel injector inoperative concerns in a particular cylinder ..."
=======

Fuel Injector Testing Information TSB 98-9-9 for 92-96 Bronco, F Series, Econoline, etc

Some tips;
Pintle Crack pic & Replacement Part Number in a 92 5.8; "...Here's what a mostly-cracked pintle cap looks like. Napa sells replacements, part 2-15018, for $0.39. It beats buying new injectors..."
Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at SuperMotors.net
Pintle Removal; "...I wasn't able to get the pintle caps off this way. I used a razor and put a small slice in the caps and then pulled them off with a small pair of needle-nose pliers..."
Source: by Ian L (stangmata, stangmata50l, Bronco) at FSB
Pintle Removal; "...To remove the pintle cap, use either a hard plastic or wood dowl and push firmly on the back side of the cap. If you are like me, you will probably break them before the actually come off. That is why you shouldn't use a screw driver. Remove the upper and lower rubber seal...."
Source: by joelb23 at FSB

Removal, Testing & Cleaning
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://web.archive.org/web/20110920233959/http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=82

Rebuild in a 94 5.8
Source: by joelb23 at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42535

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was impressed at how detailed the thread was and how much time everyone put in to help a fellow Bronco owner.
^^ What he said... I have always been impressed with the majority of the people on here. Always backing up what they say with other posts or Ford TSB info. Best Bronco Site by far! :rockon

·
Registered
256 Posts
To add to this thread.. Can you use the EV1 injectors on the old 302 EFI's like the 86's? no issues arise using them? This may be a good junkyard upgrade.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
^^ What he said... I have always been impressed with the majority of the people on here. Always backing up what they say with other posts or Ford TSB info. Best Bronco Site by far! :rockon
Awww, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Even though you weren't talking to me.
To add to this thread.. Can you use the EV1 injectors on the old 302 EFI's like the 86's? no issues arise using them? This may be a good junkyard upgrade.
The EV1 injectors would have come STOCK on an 86. The EV1 is a pintle style injector, used from the mid 80s up until until the early 90s when 4 hole EV1 DRI injectors started showing up on trucks. Later vehicles switched to EV6 injectors, which are plastic bodied 4 hole injectors. The EV6 injectors are a common upgrade for older trucks as they have a better spray pattern. EV1 DRI or EV6 injectors are both an upgrade from the older EV1 Pintle injectors.
EV1 vs EV6:

EV1 Vs EV6 injector tips:

EV1 DRI injector tip:
[/IMG]

·
Registered
81 FSB 351w turbo’d w/ ZF5 swap
81 Posts
The BEST way to clean em is to take them out and send them to a company called Witchhunter.com - Ive used them a bunch of times for injectors out of a lot of cars/trucks. They send you a print out of before & after flow charts, put new seals & o-rings where needed. I highly recommend them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts