Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, what the best way to cut the safety glass on on the top? I need to cut the windows down to size for the new top.

Dremel? Angle Grinder?

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks

Bakes

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
dremel might have a bit for it, otherwise glass cutter.

i think angle grinder will be messy.....and painful.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
78bronco460 said:
I've never seen anyone cut tempered glass without it shattering.
:stupid

Let me ask a few friends tomorrow - I'll post tomorrow afternoon/evening EST.

But personally, i would agree w/glass cutter - or pay to have it done for fear of breaking it.

:beer
Bill

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found this on the web. Anybody know if we got the tempered or the laminate glass in the side windows of the fiberglass top?

SAFETY GLASS

There are two kinds of safety glass:

The first type is tempered. This means that the glass has been cooled in such a way to induce tension in the exterior skin, while the interior is in compression; much like a balloon.

The bottom line is that cutting tempered glass is like cutting a balloon. It just can't be done. (unless you first anneal the glass, cut, and then re-temper, in which case it would be cheaper and easier to just start with annealed glass in the first place.)

The second kind of safety glass is laminated. This is actually a sandwich of two sheets of glass with a sheet of plastic between them. In order to cut this kind of glass, you need to score one side, and run the score by tapping. Then flip it over and do the same thing on the opposite side. Apply a flammable liquid such as alcohol or lighter fluid and light it. As the plastic begins to warm and soften, you can pull the pieces apart. Pull directly apart and don't let them "hinge" if you care about what the edges will look like.

Later

Bakes

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
The glass within the camper top is of the laminate type. I've broken several. :toothless Rather than attempting to cut it yourself, I would suggest getting a glass/windshield shop to do it for you. Extra $50 yes, but it would be done right the first time.

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Dustball said:
Front windshield is laminated, side and back windows are tempered.
Must've been something unique to the shop I brought my bucky to. :shrug My windshield and back glass are tempered, and side glass is laminate.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
There's no way your windshield is tempered. Dustball is right in how the glass is made - windshield is laminated, and the side and rear glass is tempered

·
Registered
111 Posts
davids78bronco said:
Look into using Lexan
I don't think you can do that. I'm sure the Dept of Transportation has a safety glass requirement for road use. I know that's why it's a pain to import a vehicle from Japan or Europe.
I know all the lexan replacement windows you see in Summit Racings catalog say For racing only

·
Registered
519 Posts
has anyone done or heard of doing your own lexan? I can get that stuff by the sheet and would love to replace my glass

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
If there was a danger in using lexan for a window, I wouldn't have offered the suggestion. It should be common knowledge, by now, that lexan isn't DOT legal. So what? Does legality prevent people from cutting their Cats out?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Never had a cop stop while pulling me over to take a good, hard look at the windshield that I had in the mustang I used to own. It was Lexan, and illegal as hell. But with proper installation and a nice AS1 strip of tint at the top, it didn't look any different under cursory examination. Now, knowing this, I wouldn't hesitate to use lexan on a rig, being as I have never had a cop bother to even look at the rear windows, much less try and determine the material of their construction.

All in all, it's your ass if you get caught, but I don't think your chances are high for it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
davids78bronco said:
If there was a danger in using lexan for a window, .....
In my much younger days I was a messenger for an Armored car service. All the windows in my van were Lexan, 2 inches thick, but still lexan. never had one break, It did scratch very easily.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts