Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the PO decided to go full blacked out and spray painted the whole truck in rattle can black without doing surface prep and needless to say its starting to look rough.... I have an aluminium bumper on and I'm trying to strip it down to bare surface but it's just taking forever... I tried acetone and a wire wheel but I'm curious to see if theres any better way of doing things out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have used the Rustoleum Aircraft Remover. Just be careful with it, and you may just want to take the bumper off to prevent accidentally hitting something you don't want to.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Bead blast using a siphon gun and a bucket of blast media?

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,875 Posts
I second aircraft paint remover. Works great on aluminum rims. This is the one I used.
unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah as was mentioned previously, I find aircraft paint remover works way better than acetone. Acetone evaporates too fast anyway

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,101 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,532 Posts
I havent used the aircraft stuff, but can you still get it? Meaning no methylene chloride?

We used to sell a product named SKIM. It would take care of your bumper in 5 minutes. But some idiot used a methylene chloride stripper in an enclosed bathroom and died and they outlawed it. Fccking idiot ruined it for us all, just like lead paint. I used it on a 1974 valve cover and in 5 minutes, there was no paint left.

Try mixing the acetone, 2 parts to 1 part ATF. That will keep the acetone from evaporating so quickly. Gasoline also works well as a stripper.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,571 Posts
Oven Cleaner, in the yellow can, will also take this stuff off... It will strip anodizing off aluminum as well.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've also used strypeeze when taking off the old pinstripe tape on my tailgate plate, old paint on car parts like hardware, and hundred year old varnish off wood trim... Works well and fast but will burn if u get it on ur skin.
savogran-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-01233-64_1000.jpg

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Oven Cleaner, in the yellow can, will also take this stuff off... It will strip anodizing off aluminum as well.
Also takes old tile/carpet glue off schoolhouse tiles without damaging them... Like if someone glued carpet over tile and u want the tile back.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,172 Posts
maybe I missed it, but how do you know its aluminum?

Also, any paint stripper should work. Just have plenty of rubber gloves, scotchbrite pads, paper towels, and a big trash can to put them in.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,532 Posts
I've also used strypeeze when taking off the old pinstripe tape on my tailgate plate, old paint on car parts like hardware, and hundred year old varnish off wood trim... Works well and fast but will burn if u get it on ur skin.
View attachment 154339
Lol we sold strypeeze years ago. I sold their Kutzit remover until the ban on Methylene chloride. I like how that can in your pic says original on it, then says no MC or NMAs.

Goof Off will remove paint, as well as about any other stain from just about anything. This Stuff Works makes a couple graffiti removers that work really well too. Multi-master for most surfaces, plasti-master for plastics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you want it done in an hour, here's your solution. I use these all the time in my fab shop for paint, rust, powder coat, you name it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts