Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am investigating what is the best line for tall stuff 2' to 3'. Grass, briers, milkweed, vetch, rabbit tobacco, wife's misplaced flowers, johnson grass, dock, etc etc. my handle bar stihl FS55 uses .095 line. Had some orange square line - pretty good; also some round clear with black center - awful, vibrates like crazy. Got some maxpower twisted square pointy stuff today and ordered some rotary black twisted. What you peoples run?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,395 Posts
I have Swing blades on my gas powered, and use ^^^^^ on the electric..... not that I use them much anymore

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not own a zero turn because even my yard is too steep to mow with one. I have a John Deere 318, 316 and 180. The reason I have to mow with a weed eater is the hill behind my home. It is like a mules face, too steep for anything other than a hand held trimmer. I tried the Maxpower twisted 4 star shaped stuff yesterday. It cut pretty good by vibrated quite a bit and frayed on the ends and is better than the round clear w/black center stuff but not better than the regular square orange line. Hopefully getting my Rotary twisted highly rated stuff today and try it on Saturday morning.

·
Super Moderator
14,748 Posts
I have Swing blades on my gas powered, and use ^^^^^ on the electric..... not that I use them much anymore
X2 I've got an attachment with those swing blades on it..works much better than line for the thicker brush..

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never tried the swing blades but sounds like big brush killer. I did try the black Rotary twisted stuff Friday evening. I worked very well. Cut better than anything tried heretofore as it did not fray on the end as much as other lines. It also lasted a long time in some really thick stuff. I am going to continue using it as of now as it is also made in the USA. Gave my sons some Rotary to check out as one of them is using some six sided stuff and I wanted him to compare it. Anyway I am happy with the Rotary as of now.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,994 Posts
Ahem...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goats on the roof is roadside right below Clayton, Ga. This is on the way from my home to Atlanta but I have never seen it with the goats out and about or I did not pay attention. Have you ever eat BBQ goat? We call that goats in the belly.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,994 Posts
Goats are overrated, go with sheeps.
Whatever tickles your pickle! Either one is better than a weed whacker on tough ditches and hillsides.

And no, never had goat... my name ain't Klinger!

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
175 Posts
Hey, true story: The Reagan Library in CA uses goats/sheep to consume the vegetation, w/o mowing and following all Draconian CA enviro laws, etc.

It survived the recent CA wildfires...while surrounding structures turned to ash.

Heck yeah, GOATS!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Husqvarna string is best for cutting and wear. Can't remember the name of it but it's gray and sold at Lowe's.

Tested and proven on projectfarm on YT

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,807 Posts
No new input on string line here.

My dad has had a property that needs to be cleared every year. We've cut it with all sorts of tools over the years. This year we rented a Toro BRC-28 & it was the quickest year ever. The rear wheels drive forward or reverse & it pulls itself up the hills. No front wheels so it scoots right into the brush. I have no idea on the cost & I'd sure rent one before buying, but it made quick of both flat & steep areas.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got one of these, but the hill is too steep for it. I like the toro cutter as it is self propelled. I got a friend who got one of the push ones like a big weedeater and he said it was useless as it was a bear to push.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts