Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come for me to get a beast. My daily driver, a Twin Turbo 300zx, is problem prone and due for an out-of-state rebuild soon, so I need an alternative means of transportation. As it is I only get 10 miles to the gallon on supreme, so the Bronco could only save me money. I am only looking to spend somewhere between 1-2k for it, so it doesn't have to be nice. Just can't break down and buy a civic, I want a play thing. However with all cars there are years that are better than others, so I am sure it has been gone over a million times here. Looking for 79-91, any years and their ups and downs would be great.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded or in the wrong section, this my first time posting, however hopefully not the last. Thnx

·
Registered
463 Posts
you will get a 1000s of answers and opions. just find one that you like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i read something a while ago about certain years having weaker parts then others, and i know the same holds true for my car. maybe all fords are crap regardless of the year? lol. anyhow, that should rile some people up, if not, i will go with an early 80's, those look tuff

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
78-79 are exactly the same, and completely different from the 80-96. early 80s is good. you are going to have get into the later 80's get fuel injection however. not a big jump in price, no matter what year you choose.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Well.... right now I'm really partial to my 1988 XLT. It's been a dayum good truck. But saying that... so was the 85 I had some years back and I loooooved my 86 till some lame ass back woods inner bred low rent $#!% for brains mo' fo' stole it!

I say pick a body style you like... Find one in your price range with the engine you want and is in good nuff condition to nurture back into shape as needed over time.

With all their faults, weaknesses, and differences... Bronco's is just one tuff @$$ fun to drive love to hate drain your wallet ask yourself why i do this to myself kinda truck! :thumbup

You won't be sorry.......

BooZtedZ said:
As it is I only get 10 miles to the gallon on supreme, so the Bronco could only save me money.
.... well? Maybe you will? :histerica

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
78/9's are tough, simple, dependable.
80's-up are MUCH more comfort/convenience equipped and most have an overdrive for gooder mileage.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
yeah, and some 78's had round headlights. I know there are small differences, just not many. For all intents and purposes, they are the same.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Get a clue!

Go with a 78 or 79 Bronco. For one thing 33's were stock tires, with no lift or a cheap A$$ 3" home made body lift you can go much larger. Also they have a solid front axle. If you fall in love with a newer model that's ok, but make sure it has a solid front axle if you plan on doing any wheeling at all. Anyone who does serious wheeling has a 78 or 79 Bronco or spent 3 times the money on their newer model converting it into a 78 or 78 suspension.

·
College User
2,018 Posts
Get what you can afford. Screw the years and solid axle, you prob dont know the different tcases and tranny, and all that. Just get the body style you want, for gooder gas mileage get a 5.0 And if you keep it and then decide to raise it the (ttb) 80+ front end will get you through it. Everyone will spin the year they have as the best. My cent of the day.....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts