Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, let's hear your arguments. It seems that everytime a 4.9 is mentioned someone HAS to throw in "get a V8" (I'm guilty of it myself....only in defense of the 6-banger). So I figure make a thread and stop hijacking other threads.

"I want a good clean fight blah blah blah blah....Go to your corners.......FIGHT!!!"

Edit: I now see that I've placed this in the wrong forum....could one of the mods move this to general tech or somewhere a little more fitting please? Sorry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
everyone sayes git a v8 but I love my 300 i have built it up and it realy moves in my 84 bronco I race the ricers and they hate me because I can jump them off the line and they cant keep up and I have raced a friend that had a 460 in his 86 f250 and we were side by side he than he started pulling away around 70 mph but come on it a 460:shocked
but who cares that the can go 130mph in a bronco wich I can do with a I6 but not very fun it likes to wonder arround and I woundent take any turn at that speed

I have changed it some just added a 2" carb spacer and a better heatsheld

IM000024.JPG

IM000021.JPG

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
the 300 has good potential, its just most of the time, poeple dont want to spend the money on moddin a 6cyl and go the easy route with a v8. I'd rather stick with an inline engine over a v8, 7 main bearings is pretty much bullet proof. As far as performance, the 300 just needs to opened up some on the intake and exhuast, help it flatten out that torque curve.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Only argument I got is cost and performance part availability.:thumbup

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
Only argument I got is cost and performance part availability.:thumbup
After building the 5.0 in my 92 with virtually everything replaced and upgraded, adding a cam, MAF, bunch of porting on the heads and manifold, headers, etc, ect......I priced out a similar rebuild of the six and it came out cheaper (on paper).

If it were me I'd try to find a EFI 4.9. My reason would be that the motor probably doesn't need to be touch which would put all that cash into building the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree

kevinj said:
I've got the 300 in my f150 and I'd take it over a 302, but not a 351
In order:
1. bored /stroked 351 (427 or 408 or 393)
2. Stock 351
3. Stock I6
4. Stock 302

·
Registered
445 Posts
i had a 81 2wd F150 with 33's on it. The motor was a I6, i loved it. Everyone thought it was an eight due to the exhaust manifolds that were from a EFI. So it was true dual exhaust with just old ass glass packs that were about 3 ft long. It had a 4spd that just rocked off the line. I thought about getting another one in a bronco but I think the I6 is better suited in a pick up due to the weight difference of the truck. I had a 351W in my 84 bronco and it killed my 88 bronco with the 5.0. There are so many mods out there for a carb 300, but I really haven't seen too much in the ways of EFI versions. CliffordPerformance.com has alot of goodies but pricey, Summit Racing has goodies and decent priced. So just my 2 cents but I wouldn't put a 6 in a bronco unless u r geared right, but for a pickup i wouldn't go neother way.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I love the I-6....they are very durable. One of my roommates had a 91 2wd, had 90K on it and it blew up....come to find out he never changed the oil the entire time he owned it about 40k. I live its pulling power, and I had a mud truck for awhile that had one, all I ever had to do was wash the motor and change the oil. It's my friends now, I went over the other day and fired it up after sitting since Oct. and drove it around his land hauling wood. I'm thinking of putting one in my next project for simplicity and durability.....with the right gearing it'll go through anything.

On a side note, I have a 400 in my "street" truck and a 460 in my mud only truck, and I love them too. They just seem to break parts faster

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are so many mods out there for a carb 300, but I really haven't seen too much in the ways of EFI versions.
Clifford may not have much for EFI 300s, but basically everything will work between the two, at least in bolt on terms. The 240 head swaps are pointless as it'll give you the same CR that the EFI head already does, roller rockers can be done with the right studs on EFI heads, larger valves will work as long as you don't unshroud the valves and/or you get a chip to compensate for the increased air flow and there are others but just aren't coming to me.

v8's sound better
So you're saying you would choose a lesser motor because it sounds better?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just depends on how many cubes you want.

The difference between a 302 and 300 powerwise is pretty minimal, unless you are going for maxed out power.

The 300 is really easy to work on though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like the 351 myself the bigger the engine the less you have to beat on it to get power out of it.I think it would be cool to build a turbo 4.9 kind of like the Thunder bird 2.3 turbo coupe engine.It take some $$$ and some fabing intake, exhaust ext but it would a sleeper for sure.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Don't we have enough of these 6 vs 8 threads.....Must not

BTW easabilty to maintain i think the six will always have the edge. Power in small package = Stroked SB.

IMHO i see no reason to swap a 351 in over the six unless it is rebuilt or stroked in my case. I want more power lightweight, which when my stroker blows up, then i will build th six

Just saw the turbo part above, there are a few turbo'd motors on fordsix but i wouldn't run one in my truck because if the cool mud/water hit that turbo in a creek crossing or whatever, say goodbye to it

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
So you're saying you would choose a lesser motor because it sounds better?

a V-8 is not a lesser motor
i never specified the size of the v-8 either

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
i have the 300 in my f150 with 35's and 4.10s. i like the motor, but it does not have enough umph for me. on the hwy its a big dog. not very fast, not very powerful. but at city speeds its great, lots of torque, nice pickup speed. its all personal preferance. if you have a little extra dough, get a 351 and build it up a little. you'll like it.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
I LOVE the I6 300 because it is indestructable. You can run them without oil, and they won't even be phased by it. They are a little down on power stock, but there is stuff that can be done to fix that. Honestly i think it would be friggin awesome if you turbo'ed one. I dunno how much boost a stock bottom end can hold up to, i imagen you would prob. need forged pistons. But i honestly have no clue how much power a worked i6 300 would make, even runnin a turbo.

Now you can always pick up one of these:
[/url][/IMG]
...351w roller block, and make a 500ft/lb beast like im doin. :toothless

I would get something like desktop dyno and build both a 300 and a 351w and see what kind of power they make for how much money you want to spend. and talk to some poeple who have built both

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jb77714 said:
a V-8 is not a lesser motor
i never specified the size of the v-8 either
Neither did I. In terms of build the V8 is the lesser of the two I don't care how you reason it. Will a built inline make more power than built "bent 8"? I hardly think so; we all know if you take the same amount of money invested in a 300 and put in a V8 that you can make what, 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x or more power in a V8. I'm not denying the fact that a V8 will make more power easily or cheaply than a 300, that they sound cooler, that they have a certain "cool" factor, etc., etc, to deny that would be a show of ignorance and I think myself not to be an ignorant person (not to mention that would make myself a hypocrite with what's in my F250).

I'm just trying to understand why everyone who hasn't owned a 300 will 90% of the time say "get a V8." Is it because it only has 6 cylinders? Or because it doesn't carry that cool rumble? Maybe it's because 5.0 owners are jealous that it makes just a little less horsepower and the same if not more torque? :goodfinge (You guys calm down, the smilie is there for a reason). In the words of Christopher Walken in The Rundown: "Enlighten me!"

Don't we have enough of these 6 vs 8 threads.....Must not
I didn't think so. :goodfinge Anyway, it seems that most of them were hijacks (at least of late), so I thought a dedicated thread would be good right now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It has a 51 cube disadvantage over the 351.

when faced with building up the 300 or going the 351 route, i decided i'd only be happy with a 408 or 427, or keeping the 300. So i kept her, and i'm pretty happy. The truck doesn't need to be fast, but she definitely scoots a lot more with the work done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts