Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd tried a couple of 10" subs but I listen to hard rock

not that cap backwards thumpin' stuff. For all the low range thump they gave me my rock didn't sound tight or clean, like it should.

I'd always had two 6 1/2" mid range components in the doors;

I liked the kind of clear, crisp sound they cranked out, but disliked the two 10" subs I had as for all their volume it wasn't tight or clean.

Found the solution. Bridged an amp and went to just one 10" sub further back;

Then I stuck two bigger 8" midranges in where the old stock rear seat speakers went;

I had buddies tell me "those enclosures are too small and it won't sound good". Had the last doubter out for a spin tonight and they are eating their words.

These things CRANK to beat the band ! (Rock band that is). I haven't heard (or felt)volume like that since the last time I saw The Who.

I'd often suspected it wasn't bigger or better woofers I needed, but more mid range speakers. This is definately the case. I cannot recommend the placement high enough as that is exactly where you want it.

Check in on this thread in a week or two here;

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=21913#content

as I'll be fitting the stock vinyl walls over the speakers so they fit flush with jack showing at all.

Sixlitre (slightly more deaf)
:chili:

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kf4amu said:
How are the enclosures mounted? I'm not a very good mounter of anything so I'm always lookin for other people's ideas to steal.

-Will
89 XLT 460
Will

Check out the whole install here;

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=21913#content

Basically, after the sound insulation I used simple plywood, cut on an angle, for the sides and MDF for the covers. Mounted as they are they will fit underneath the stock vinyl cargo side walls.

Not exactly expensive to duplicate and, when done, they should be nearly invisible to prying eyes.

All my buddies who know anything about car audio said "it won't work the boxes are too small". Each of them have heard it over the last few days and it blows their minds. One buddy said " it defies all current theories".

All I know is it works bigtime !

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kf4amu said:
How does the plywood frame mount to the sheetmetal? Or is it just sitting in there.
-Will
89 XLT 460
Sorry Will

Didn't get what you meant. The plywood is counter bored halfway into it's ends with a countersinking screwdigger, so you don't need a super long screw. Then you just run one screw per side into the inner rear quarter steel wall.

You can just make out the countersunk screws in this pic of the flush mount rear sub enclosure I built the same way;

As you can see from the photo you measure and trial fit a few times, while the metal is bare, to make sure everything fits before you insulate. I had the rear quarter inner vinyl wall on several times mocking it up, as seen here;

The whole point of the exercise, over and above getting more sound, was to flush mount these speakers (and the sub) so;

a.) they don't eat into the cargo room or impede regular day to day use of the Bronco.

b.) To make an effort to conceal them so they look less attractive to punks and actually remain in my possession.

The best speakers in the world do you no good if they're constantly stolen and not in your truck to enjoy.

I seriously doubt these installer grade speakers interest punks but the more you can conceal them, and make them look stock(with covers), the less likely they are to make off with them.

To do this I thought I was compromising on sound, but happily that just ain't the case !

Sixlitre

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Yes, sixlitre, I completly agree with you. If all you have are subs all you're gonna get is bass, which is usually ok for rap, but you need mids and tweeters for rock and most other music. I use to be into home audio pretty good too. The ideal placement for mids and tweeters is at ear level or above. This brings out the higher frequency sounds more, instead of throwing them into the ground.

Great work six, thats a pretty slick lookin' install

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gacknar said:
I really like your rear mid woofer boxes, I may end up doing somthong similar.

Where do you get your highs from?
Thanks Gackner and magnumpi

Well I ain't into that kinda stuff, not my cup of tea and all....oh the tweeters ?!

I've got two mounted where my sunvisors would go on the steelhorse overhead shelf (I don't need visors as I'm too freepin' tall to see out with them in place on the shelf).

The other two are right behind my head (ear level like you said magnumpi) here on the B-pillar;

Crude mounting (two sided tape) but they actually do the job very well right there.

I'd recommend the rear seat location for the extra mids as, mounted like I did them, they will fit flush under the stock vinyl wall. I intend to mount pull off speaker grills (like home speakers) on top of them with these;

Sixlitre

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
kf4amu said:
I'm not a very good mounter of anything

MAN, If i didnt already have a few of these in my sig, this would definately be in there.:chili:

Cool idea and good info six. I have been wondering what i wanted to do about midrange stuff. The install looks good so far, post up more of the finished product too.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plug ugly said:
MAN, If i didnt already have a few of these in my sig, this would definately be in there.:chili:

Cool idea and good info six. I have been wondering what i wanted to do about midrange stuff. The install looks good so far, post up more of the finished product too.
Thanks Plug Ugly

The doors were good, but I knew I needed more mid range sound (for rock) so those super cheap enclosures(and 8" mids) really came through for me.

I'll finish the covers similar to the way Splah did after Christmas. I gave my old Pappy a router table and you can bet I'll be over there to be the second to use it to make those upholstered speaker cover grills !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Looks good :thumbup I went to just one MOMO 10" Sub in the back and all new high end speakers for mid and high, all amped, The sub fill is just right and clean for rock. Good job :beer

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks 94

Lets see some pics, I need mo ideas !

Sixlitre

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Nice work Six, as always. I've been having the same problem in my crappy Chevy Astro work van since I put in the 10" subs. Never occured to me to go this route, but I like it a lot. It does seem to run counter to what everybody is doing these days, but thats probably why it sounds so good.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
Nice work Six, as always. I've been having the same problem in my crappy Chevy Astro work van since I put in the 10" subs. Never occured to me to go this route, but I like it a lot. It does seem to run counter to what everybody is doing these days, but thats probably why it sounds so good.
Thanks Dave

If your work van is stripped out like a tradesman spec van then it'd probably be easy and certinally cheap.

For subs I'd think about staggering them so they don't fire at each other like I used to have in the back seat;

The only problem I ever had was they shook the [email protected] out of my ashtrays at eleventy, to the point where one jumped out once. I did however respect the people that told me, after I'd done it, not to have em' facing each other.

As for the 8" mids man they kick A$$ situated where they are ! They're like the 6 1/2" mids in the doors, but on steroids ! Together, with the mids in the doors, it's unbeatable for clarity and volume (for hard rock).

Sixlitre

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks clean.

You are right on the nail. Most of your bass guitar comes through on a midrange. Another thing to do that greatly improves your door speakers mid range out put is to install door sound padding. I think they call it Dynomatt or something like that. It sells for like 30 bucks for 2 square feet. But its the same thing that I use at work called peel-n-seal. Which I get for 30 bucks for a 9" x 33' roll. If you line the entire inside of your door, behind the speaker, and than the entire surface of the door under the door panel you will increase your mid range out put by 50-75%. You are basically sealing your door and making a speaker box out of it.

Another example would be how you know when the door is open the speaker sounds tinny and hollow, but when its closed and your inside it sounds much much better. Well lining the doors will make them sound good open also.

It will also cut out alot of road noise.

Ps. Another thing to remember when installing speakers, is that bass and mid range are omni directional and the sound flows through the vehicle. So as in subs for example they can be under the seat.

Treble is directional so it needs to be pointed right at you or say up to the windsheild so it can bounce of that and hit you. Up Between the sun visor and the door pillar is a good spot.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chvyboat said:
Looks clean.

You are right on the nail. Most of your bass guitar comes through on a midrange. Another thing to do that greatly improves your door speakers mid range out put is to install door sound padding. I think they call it Dynomatt or something like that. It sells for like 30 bucks for 2 square feet. But its the same thing that I use at work called peel-n-seal. Which I get for 30 bucks for a 9" x 33' roll. If you line the entire inside of your door, behind the speaker, and than the entire surface of the door under the door panel you will increase your mid range out put by 50-75%. You are basically sealing your door and making a speaker box out of it.

Another example would be how you know when the door is open the speaker sounds tinny and hollow, but when its closed and your inside it sounds much much better. Well lining the doors will make them sound good open also.

It will also cut out alot of road noise.

Ps. Another thing to remember when installing speakers, is that bass and mid range are omni directional and the sound flows through the vehicle. So as in subs for example they can be under the seat.

Treble is directional so it needs to be pointed right at you or say up to the windsheild so it can bounce of that and hit you. Up Between the sun visor and the door pillar is a good spot.

Thanks for the thumbs up and the info Chvyboat

Where can I get my hands on this peel-n-seal ?! I used this stuff;

and then this stuff;

It's done me well and is dirt cheap too. Can't stand getting bent over the counter for dynamatt

Sixlitre

·
Registered
744 Posts
Go to a roofiing supply place. The peel-n-seal comes in either a foil backing or a black backing. I used a foil backing only cause that is what the dynomatt is like, dont know if it makes any difference in the sound but figured why not. The peal-n-seal is a little thinner than the dynomatt, but works just as well.

If the stuff you pictured has a blue plastic on it that peels off leaving a really stick side than its really similar.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got around to starting the covers for the 8" midranges

I want them to blend into the interior so I have a speaker cover like material that is a pretty close match to our Eddie Bauer saddle tan.

I plan to stretch and glue it over them and use the home speaker plug and sockets to keep them secured over the stock vinyl Bronco walls, yet keep em' relatively hidden from prying crack piped eyes.

Drill out four holes to ease access for your jigsaw. The MDF is 10 1/4" square and starts out as 3/4" thick.

Jigsaw the hole out a 1/4" bigger than the 8" midrange component speaker.

Check the speakers have plenty of clearance in the covers holes.

Set the table saw at the blade's width to shave off the majority of the covers backside material.

The material left will space the covers to clear the vinyl walls in the Bronco.

It's important to get the cover flush with the MDF when using these speaker cover retaining sockets and plugs.

A quick run around the outside of the covers with a router and the cloth material should have no problem stretching over it.

Gonna do the same for the rear woofer in the cargo area too;

Guess we'll see if the cold weather spurs me on or slows me down, it's going down into the -20s Sunday:shocked

Sixlitre

·
Registered
105 Posts
inspiring

:rockon Simply amazing. im going to do something as similar as i can to this, i love it. for the sub grills, i think i want to use some sorta expanded metal to give it just a bit of an industrial look, or expanded metal behind some blue (i have a blue interior) cloth so it will retain rigidity incase someone/something bumps into it, yet look pretty covert.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts