Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica
officer Flowers said. "The squirrel was moving at such speed, I didn't see it and neither did my partner standing shoulder-length away from me."
that's what you get when you mix crack with acorns, I guess :histerica :histerica

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
Its right. You gotta break it down and read it like this: He was attempting, and his partner was attempting....

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
stangmata50l said:
I aint no ghramma teacha...but can somebody check dis?

Officer Dwayne Flowers said he and his partner was attempting to arrest a woman wanted on drug charges in Leominister, Mass., when her loose pet squirrel attacked.
Doesn't sound right to me :shrug

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stangmata50l said:

Right!
...he and his partner was...
...is a compound subject, so it should be were. For example, "she was", but "Mary and Betty were".

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
stangmata50l said:

Cause it isn't right. A linking verb links the subject with a noun, a pronoun, or adjective. A linking verb must agree with its subject in number - plural or singular. The subject is "he and his partner", plural. They "were" attempting to arrest (the verb).

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
Officer flowers said he and his partner was ........ That is correct. You have to break it down i tell ya.

Officer flowers said he was......

Officer flowers said his partner was.....

Officer flowers said he and his partner was...... Its correct. If it didnt have officer flowers said in there then it would be were. As in "He and his partner were..".

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
arkansawer said:
Officer flowers said he and his partner was ........ That is correct. You have to break it down i tell ya.

Officer flowers said he and his partner was...... Its correct. If it didnt have officer flowers said in there then it would be were. As in "He and his partner were..".
Is the subject Officer Flowers, his partner, or both? :toothless The subject is both, thus plural (or as marv said, compound subject), thus "were" is the correct usage here ;)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That's right folks, beware the skwerl. An attack by a skwerl is traumatic enough to impair your use of the english language.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
And todays thread, was brought to you by the letter "WHO CARES" and the numbers "I DON'T CARES AND GIMME A BREAK"

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
waltman said:
And todays thread, was brought to you by the letter "WHO CARES" and the numbers "I DON'T CARES AND GIMME A BREAK"
Is that French or something? Damn Canadians... :toothless

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
arkansawer said:

Almost

Officer flowers said he and his partner were...

Officer flowers said he, and his partner, was...

brad

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the MythBusters are going to prove that Bigfoot is French Canadian. Saw it on TV...that makes it true!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Leominster, MA--that's CLOSE!!! I've got to get my guns out now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts