Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this might be the stupidest Q ever but here goes. I recently bought my 93 bronco and it came with 31' BFG all terrains in the back and 31' Wild Country radials in the front. I plan to put new BFGs all around but in the mean time, is it bad to have those different types of tires on it?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
its fine, So long as you have radials all around OR bias tires all around.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Like 351 said, as long as they are the same type and size of tire, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Shoot...I'll ask a stupid question myself, why does it matter if you mix and match radial and bias? As long as they're the same diameter, that should be all that matters. It's not like there's going to be any catastrophic failure if you run a bias and radial up front and a bias and radial in the rear. Even if they are matched up front and rear, only viable argument I could see is only if you cross your tires when you rotate. Even then, worst case scenario you might see a different wear pattern. Beyond that, what's the harm?

Shoot I know there have been times where I ran 3 different brand tires, two of them were bias swampers up front and then a BFG and ProComp MT in the rear (and vice versa) all 35x12.5. I ran my Bronco that way for 2.5 years and right around 25,000 miles with rotations every 5k.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'll wake this discussion up with my own situation.

I am tight for cash.

I have two 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs in my garage with about half tread. Good tires.

What are the consequences of putting those on with two Big O All terrains? Or another 285/75/16 All Terrain?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'll wake this discussion up with my own situation.

I am tight for cash.

I have two 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs in my garage with about half tread. Good tires.

What are the consequences of putting those on with two Big O All terrains? Or another 285/75/16 All Terrain?

Screw that, there is about $5 difference. Why does Big O think they are that good of a tire? the TA KOs are 10 ply side wall for goodness sake. oh well.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Bias ply tires do not handle or drive down the road rather, like a radial tire. If one is to mix bias and radials, it's recommended that the bias tires be on the same axle and be placed on the rear of the vehicle. It is recommended that all tires be of the same size, construction (radial,non-radial) and speed rating.

-Matt

·
Registered
753 Posts
All good questions...and answers. On a motorcycle, I would never mix radial with bias ply tires, but on a truck, I see no issue, as long as you keep bias on one axle and radials on another. I also agree that the bias tires ought to be kept on the rear. Of course, it is best to match tires, and any reputable tire manufacturer will tell you the same (likely for liability reasons), but you CAN mix and match.
Question: Off road, how often is the terrain that all four tires are experiencing the same?
Answer: almost never.
I, too, see no reason to waste cash, and while I'm going to keep the same diameter, I'll soon be going to 31/11.50/15s in the rear, and keeping the two good 31/10.50/15s in the front...until they wear out, at which point I'll match them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah--on a bike it's a serious line to cross. I'm a knee dragger, so I would never consider mixing the two, as it would most likely spell my demise in a decreasing radius twisty up in the mountains.
On a truck, though, I can't think it's that big of a deal.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I have a full set of matching TSL Bias tires and a full set of All Terrain Radials, When I go from the radials to the bias ply tires I have to be careful for a week or so till i get used to the increased braking distances and sloppy cornering of the Bias ply tires. Ive always heard not to mix them on the same vehicle but alot of "cover statments" are for the average moron motorist and for legal reasons to cover the company's butt. You could get used to it but I would put matching bias on the front and matching radials on the back.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have to be careful for a week or so till i get used to the increased braking distances and sloppy cornering of the Bias ply tires.
Very good point. Bias Ply and Radial Ply tires handle very differently. It's hard to believe that Radials have only been around for about 35 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts