Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know when BFG last updated the All Terrain design? I have a set of 5 BFG ATs 33X12.50-R15. Two are worn out, 2 have 50% treat and 1 almost new (it was the spare - lol). So to have 4 tires that will pass inspection I found a matching tire (so I thought!) on CL. Almost new and seller claimed it also was a spare and never on the ground. The tire is in really good condition and has close to 100% tread - looks like it may have been on the ground once or twice. I'm not complaining about the tire condition - it still has the "blue" on the white letters, but I am questioning the age of the tire. The set of 5 I have are probably about 5 years old and they say "All-Terrain T/A" and the tire I bought supposedly newer, say "Radial All-Terrain T/A". Plus the new tire has a less agressive side lug design. Not much but definately less agressive. The ATs on the BFG website say "All Terrian T/A" - no "radial" in the raised white letters. So, can anybody tell me the difference between an AT that says Radial All-Terrain T/A vs. an AT that simply says All-Terrain T/A?? Both are radials!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
Youre comparing an A/T to an A/T K/O. It is mostly the sidewall thats different, but if you compare the two, there is a very slight change in the tread too. The K/Os came out back around 2000-02, IIRC. Mine were bought new in early '04, and were K/Os.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Youre comparing an A/T to an A/T K/O. It is mostly the sidewall thats different, but if you compare the two, there is a very slight change in the tread too. The K/Os came out back around 2000-02, IIRC. Mine were bought new in early '04, and were K/Os.
You're correct. The "All-Terrains T/A" have a raised "K/O" (not white) on them. The "Radial All-Terrains T/A" do not. So the tire I bought must be 10+ years old!

Thanks! :thumbup

Oh well! It still looks in good condition and will get me through the inspection. It does not appear to have any weather checking or dry rot at all.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does the dot code say?
Interesting. Checked the DOT stamps and here's the result -

Tire I just bought: 1 1 9 (March 1999)

Tires I have: 4 3 00 (October 2000)

So I was off on the age of current tires too! Funny that these tires are so close to the same age. The changeover to K/O must have been in late 99 or early 2000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts