Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 35" tires, i have had these tires for 4yrs now and just noticed yesterday that all 4 tires have cracking between the outter and first inner row of tread. seems very strange that each tire shows this cracking in the same spots. there is no cracking anywhere else on the tires. what do you think my chances are for a warranty claim? my tires have around 50-65% tread and have never been over inflated.

i will get some pics up tomorrow

Thanks

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,779 Posts
Your chances? Slim to none. They are 4 years old with about 60% tread on them. You don't drive the truck, therefore its sitting there and the tires are dry rotting.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I work for a nation wide road hazard warranty company.... So i can tell you that is weather cracking/dry rotting, and that voids any tire warranty out there, road hazard or manufacture's, (discount tire's warranty might take it, but i highly doubt it). That's just what happens with old tires that dont get driven on... Just be careful, those blow out easy.

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i do drive my truck often, i put around 4K/year. well thanks for the imput guys. i will let you know what i find out.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
That may be average, but somebody has to be setting up the low end, and somebody has to set up the high end.

I used to commute 45 miles a day, then 25 miles a day. Now, I drive ~20 miles a week. What is that, 1k miles a year?

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if it was dry rot i would think it would be all over the tire not just in the outer tread. the side walls and everything look great.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
That may be average, but somebody has to be setting up the low end, and somebody has to set up the high end.

I used to commute 45 miles a day, then 25 miles a day. Now, I drive ~20 miles a week. What is that, 1k miles a year?
I help make up the high end. I drive between 35K and 40K miles a year. And thats just in the DD. I generally put about 6K on the bronco too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just b/c the tires have been on the rig for 4 years doesn't mean they're only 4 years old.

There's a way to check out the DOB on 'em but typically don't buy anything over 6 years old... and who knows, they might be 6 years old (some tire shops will do that).

-rockstate

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,779 Posts
Just b/c the tires have been on the rig for 4 years doesn't mean they're only 4 years old.

There's a way to check out the DOB on 'em but typically don't buy anything over 6 years old... and who knows, they might be 6 years old (some tire shops will do that).

-rockstate
Look on the sidewall and post the DOT #. The side I want to see is the # with 4 digits in circles. Its probably on the black lettering side.

Like I said in an earlier post, you've had the tires for 4 years and they have ~60% of tread left. You're not driving them (your post about 4k a year proves this). The rubber compound has a life span, not just the tread wear.

I've worked at the biggest selling tire shop in the bay area. We worked on over 400 tires a day. Take my input for what's its worth.

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the DOT is 2004, i got a reply back from BFG and the customer service relations person said the tires have a 6 yr warranty for manufacturers defect and he felt my discription of the cracking was legit. I will be taking the tires to the shop i bought them at, my receipt shows a purchase date of August 05. just so you know this cracking isnt small little cracks, they are considerably large and noticable from a few feet away. This still may be dry rot but the rest of the tire looks Fine.

will let you guys know what comes of it.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,779 Posts
the DOT is 2004, i got a reply back from BFG and the customer service relations person said the tires have a 6 yr warranty for manufacturers defect and he felt my discription of the cracking was legit. I will be taking the tires to the shop i bought them at, my receipt shows a purchase date of August 05. just so you know this cracking isnt small little cracks, they are considerably large and noticable from a few feet away. This still may be dry rot but the rest of the tire looks Fine.

will let you guys know what comes of it.
Good news that BFG will do something for you. Tire shops are usually 3 year warranty max. Its dry rot :toothless

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Good adive is to keep the tire out of the sun !! Cover them up if you park outside.

I change my tires on AGE, not tire wear.

·
Registered
664 Posts
BFG sucks abig Donkey D*ck anyway...get some Mickey Thompson MTZ, best tire i have ever had.

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome Selms501 and your credit card number is what exactly. :goodfinge

1 - 20 of 29 Posts