Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before u people tell me to go search for another 2 hours let me tell u i searched this site and a few others and could not find a thread discussing bias ply vs. radial.

First off will 36 inch tsl's fit on a 93 bronco with a 6" lift, with out rubbing at all.(not sure if Bias or radial)

First off hers then tires i was lookin at TSL, TSL Radial, SX.

Does the SX have the same tread as the TSL and TSL Radial, because i am not sure if it was the tire advertisment putting the wrong picture in front of the tire. (Pg. 80 of Four Wheeler - " National Tire & Wheel"

I know radial tires have steel belts in them and dont wear that fast but what are bias ply tires, are they all rubber?

How many miles can u put on the TSL(BIAS)
How many miles can u put on the TSL Radial
And how many miles on a SX

*** What i mean by miles is how long can i expect them to last and still perform halfway decent, ***

They are all in the same price range give or take a a few dollars.

I do some offroading but nothing crazy and will be putting them on a daily driver, i dont do a lot of highway driving and dont travel a lot.(still in high school)

Dont tell me to go search somemore because there are no posts answering my questions, most of the post concern fitment and rubbing issues and other tires,
:chili: * * * * * * * * T H A N K S * * * * * * * * :chili:

Also would anyone be intrested in pictures when i put a 10" pioneere sub in my center consul and fiberglass it smooth and paint it the same color as the body color. its gunna be completly smoothed and have the sub inside and the lid is gunna open and display the amp turn on switch and 2 sets of switches for my future fog lights, just wanted to let u know whats comin on for the future, would anyone be interested in one if i made 2 and sold 1, ill post pics of my first one soon, i am in the stage of completly fiberglassin the outside and lid, ill post pics soon. :chili:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ SUPPOSED TO BE UP THERE ^ ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

FORGOT TO TELL YOU ALL THE TIRES WOULD BE 36" by 12.5 for a 15" rim

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
SX has a super aggressive side wall. its more of a rock tire, and i think its softer compound.

as far as "without rubbing at all" you could put 33s on a 6" lift and they'd still rub if you wheel it like i do.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
From what I have heard and I'm sure some of the guys running the bias plys will weigh in on this, they are great for off road but for the street they aren't so great..The softer compound of the tire leads to faster wear and I believe less lateral stability on the road. I've heard some guys who have only gotten 5000 miles out of their bias plys..If you're not a hard core wheeler I would stick with the radials.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 38" TSL bias ply tires I had I got about 12K miles out of them and they were just over 50% worn. For a daily driver/street tire I would not recommend them as they do not have a good tread life on the street.
The difference in a bias ply vs a radial has to do with the way the belts are wrapped around the tire, can't remember which is which in my foggy head, but the radial is a better stret design, smoother, quieter, etc.
Shane

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
From what I've seen, even a light vehicle like a toyota will wear out SXs in 10,000 miles. Softer compound, bias-ply tires will flex and grip much better offroad, but they'll wear out on the road much faster. i know they're expensive, but I've seen SSRs do pretty well with highway miles.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So TSL Radial is the way to go?

how many miles can i expect out of a tsl radial, i thought everyone would say radial. what does the extra 2 inches of width realy matter 12.5 vs 14.5, does it realy matter or is just for the hard core wheeler,

the type of offroading i do is mostly drive in about 8 inches of mud and go voer big hills of dirt, no rockcrawling or hardcore bogging

can u put a 12.5 up front and 14.5 out back.

does the extra 2 inches realy matter

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
if this is a daily driver and see more pavement then dirt, i would save your cash and go with a set of BFG mt's . they will last so much longer and they wheel pretty good. you could go through 2 or 3 sets of sswampers before you would a set of BFG mt's. But if you must have them the radial would be the way to go. also those tires are very loud making it hard to listen to your stereo or even talk to the person next to ya.

good luck
late

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
5.0-BRONCO said:
does the extra 2 inches realy matter
Ask any woman and she'll tell you the extra 2 inches really do matter..

I'm with kemical, I would go with the BFG M/T's or Goodyear MTR's, much better on road manners and they'll be good for the stuff you're wheeling.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
which bfg and goodyear tires should i look at, and are they a lot cheaper, i still wanna be in the 35-17 inch range,

thanks

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
5.0-BRONCO said:
First off will 36 inch tsl's fit on a 93 bronco with a 6" lift, with out rubbing at all.(not sure if Bias or radial)

First off hers then tires i was lookin at TSL, TSL Radial, SX.
chili:
Thats 2 firsts.
Go search :p

Anyhoo................ for a DD that sees any Rain or wet pavement, Swampers suck.
Check out the BFG Mud's or GoodYear MTR's both are a very good tire for a Daily Driver.
For more swaper info, Read up on their site
http://www.intercotire.com/

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
5.0-BRONCO said:
the type of offroading i do is mostly drive in about 8 inches of mud and go voer big hills of dirt, no rockcrawling or hardcore bogging
for that kind of stuff, you'd probably be fine even with ATs even tho i hate them. you can get any one of pro comp's tires in a 35x12.5r17. you can also get the BFG MTs in the same size.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm running 6 inches of lift and 36x12.5x15 Tsl radials.......right now i got about30,000 miles on them and there about 50% worn....for the wheeling your gonna do they will work

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
stay with the radials they ride strait, bias are all aroud the road but good for offroad but what I have seen over the years that radial tires air down better and last a way longer and ride much better I have bias under my truck but few days ago I bougth a set of radials for the street use :thumbup

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i have bias and i have a bald one with about 3000 kilometer(heavy right foot) not quite at the wear bars but almost. swampers can also be grooved deeper than what they're cut

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Crazed said:
what did you get for street tires?
38x15.50x15 radial gumbo mudders they are used and got little more than half tread life left but got them for $ 200 with 15x14 inch rims but next fall Im plannig to put 46inch baja claw under my Bronco

1 - 20 of 22 Posts