Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting my hands on a big block, 69 or 70 383 punched .030. new everything, needs intake, carb and a vehicle to bolt it into. never been installed in a vehicle.

i don't have anything classic to drop this sucker into. you guys think i'm better off buying something classic that needs a motor and droppin' this hog in or choppin the bronco up and putting it in there?

motor mounts, tranny,work somethin out with the fuel, goin from efi to carb and then computer issues.

this a mistake, bad move, headed for big dollars and headaches or should it be somewhat easy?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not sure about the bolt pattern on the transmission, since I don't recognize the engine family. But, If you can keep the trans, check these guys out.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
HA...I forgot about Dodges. Okay, here is the deal on that. Run whatever you want but be sure when you put it together that you have your mounts welded in the proper locations to have the drive angle correct. Nothing like adding gobs of torque to too much angle of a drive line. Throwin a U-joint will suck at high RPMs.

Chris

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
getting my hands on a big block, 69 or 70 383 punched .030. new everything, needs intake, carb and a vehicle to bolt it into. never been installed in a vehicle.

i don't have anything classic to drop this sucker into. you guys think i'm better off buying something classic that needs a motor and droppin' this hog in or choppin the bronco up and putting it in there?

motor mounts, tranny,work somethin out with the fuel, goin from efi to carb and then computer issues.

this a mistake, bad move, headed for big dollars and headaches or should it be somewhat easy?
Stick it in a B-body Mopar, where it belongs

Charger, Road Runner, GTX, Satellite, Coronet, Belvedere, Superbird, Super Bee, etc.

383s are too heavy for A-bodied Mopars, but they're great engines ! Those years have 425 ft/lbs of torque bone stock, yet they'll rev to near 7000 rpm.

People always ask "how did they stack up against Chevy 396s, but they just don't get it, 396s had bigger worries.

In the 60s Chevy intermediates had the 396 as their top dog motor. 427s were only permitted in Vettes and Impalas (boats to be sure) and the very odd, uber rare and impossible to order low production Copos.

Don't even bother mentioning the 454 as the 60s were OVER before GM management pulled their heads out of the @$$es and allowed the 12 month only high compression LS-6 into intermediates.

By November 1970 the party was over at Chevrolet and orders ceased being filled, as their LS-6 had it's compression dropped for the next year.

No, the way the intermediate Chev world worked in the 60s they had to watch their mouths as Ford and Mopar intermediates were packing much larger iron.

327s and 350s were up against 390 Fords and 383 Mopars, both of which out torqued and muscled them.

Their supposedly big brothers, the 4 available 396s, were no match for Ford 427s, 428s and the conventional 429. The Mopar camp had all 396s covered off with just the plain Jane 440 4bbl.

If anything more powerful slipped past the special order desk out a Chevrolet showroom door Ford and Mopar had them covered and then some, with regular showroom options.

The regular production 429 Boss at Ford had them covered. The 440 six pack was waiting to devour everything Chevrolet and if anything got past that the ultimate Detroit muscle engine, The Hemi, was ready to take away the new Chevy owner's pink slip forthwith.

Ford and Mopar allowed engines of well over 400 cubes into their intermediates all the way through the 60s as regular production options available to any stroke who walked in ready to sign on the line.

At Chevrolet you had to be related to GM royalty and have someone on the know fill out all the right forms and then you "might" get a special order engine larger than 396 into your muscle car (a couple of hundred made it through that mine field).

Love your 383 but don't pay too much, they made 5,000,000 of them

Sixlitre

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for that update six, that was a good read.

i got it for 200.00 from my old boss. he had it for a superbee clone and sold the car before he could put it in. its been sitting on the stand for the last 3 years. gotta get it home and pull it apart, clean it up and see what i can do with it.

thats what my mechanic said too, don't f with putting it in the bronco buy an old mopar and do it right. have to see where the budget sits, might just fix it up and off it on ebay or somethin. i do have a line on a power wagon but i'm told not to put that into a 4x4

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
i do have a line on a power wagon but i'm told not to put that into a 4x4
Why not? I have the drivetrain from a '75 200 Snow Commander with D60s, NP435/203 and the BB 400....and seriously toyed with the idea of swapping the whole mess in to a Ramcharger. Would have been a capable rig...

....but I parted it out instead.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I dunno how many of my buddies, with 400 cube Traildusters and Power Wagons

dumped their 400s for 440 swaps. Everything fit right in where the 400 went.

Nick

You should know that a real Super Bee spec 383 will not be happy on anything lower than 94 octane.

Frankly, as I said, they ain't rare and nowadays a crate motor 408 (stroked 360 SB Mopar) will out power it, cheaper and on lower octane.

Sad to say, but true.

Still it's going to sound like a.............Big Block Dodge:toothless and no mufflers out there will ever make a Chevy sound like that, no matter how many billion the aftermarket spend:goodfinge (just ask Steve Earle;))

Sixlitre

p.s./
Your biggest road block to off roading the 383 will be finding the BB patterned 727 trans for behind it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i love it when six starts talking about the 60's... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to hear about fords beating the living piss out of shitty chevys...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Frankly, as I said, they ain't rare
Right, a plain 383 isn't necessarily rare.

However, look to see if HP is stamped on the front of the engine where it says 383.
HP motors, 383 Magnum(Dodge) or Super Commando (Plymouth), aren't extremely plentiful today and are probably bringing a decent price.

I haven't fooled with Mopars in almost 15 years (I was a '69 Road Runner maniac), but I recall the HPs had a few goodies including windage trays and "906" casting heads.

I still happen to have a '69 383HP and some other junk collecting dust that I've held onto just in case I ever catch the Mopar bug again...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
i love it when six starts talking about the 60's... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to hear about fords beating the living piss out of shitty chevys...
It wasn't that they were necessarily sh!tty (though I'll accept your assessment;)).

It's more that they were restricted at the showroom.

I'm sure a lot of Bowtie 350 wanna-bes showed up at the sales order desk licking their wounds from being stung by SuperBees or wailed on by 390 Fairlanes.

The salesman would take him out for a spin in the 375 horse solid lifter 396 Camaro (and uber expensive option BTW) and Daddy would co-sign for the Hellishly depreciated trade in and ridiculously pricey second car loan.

Upon hearing the news Ford man merely dropped into the dealership and checked off "428" for his next intermediate and NOTHING GM had in an intermediate before 1970 could touch him, as 396 was "it".

The 428 wasn't special order, back door stuff. It was a regular option, just like air conditioning. The Ford salesman reassures Fordman that the advertised 335 horse 428 "might";) somehow beat the 375 horse solid lifter 396, somehow;)

Over at the Mopar dealership Dodgeman tells his worries to the saleman and the salesman says "it's all a matter of torque choices son".

"You can beat him badly with the 440 4 bbl SuperBee, or murder him with the 440 SixPack, or annihilate him with the Hemi".

"Choice is yours. Yes, that's right your SuperBee will still weigh in at 3600 lbs son ".

You only have to dial the clock back to the early to mid sixties to see intermediate Chevrolets taking an even more severe beating from Ford and Mopar.

Jaded Chev biased magazine editors have, over the last 35 years, almost erased Mopar and Ford victories of the 60s in their readers minds.

In truth it was Ford and Mopar that traded titles in NASCAR, drag racing, etc throught the 60s. Chevrolet officially sat it out.:goodfinge

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hey Sixlitre:

I'm a regular reader of the major car mags and what you say is spot-on.....Today's writer/editors when writing of the "good old days" will always manage to ignore how Fords/Plymouth/Dodge and even AMC would most times bring home the trophies.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Hey Sixlitre:

I'm a regular reader of the major car mags and what you say is spot-on.....Today's writer/editors when writing of the "good old days" will always manage to ignore how Fords/Plymouth/Dodge and even AMC would most times bring home the trophies.
You're right Dan

It's pure disinformation but there is no law against it.

I was kind of blown away by the "Year One" sponsored American Muscle Car recently.

I caught their Top 10 muscle car engine shoot out and was encouraged to say the least !

They featured the Ford dual 4bbl 427 and the Hemi against the Big Block Chevy 427 and other muscle era engines of lore.

What amazed me was they actually published results showing the Chevy getting it's @$$ handed to it and by a whopping margin.

I'm DYING to see the next round which will no doubt feature the Ford 428 and Mopar 440 6bbl (Six pack).

Both of these engines were WAY under rated from the factory, with the Ford supposedly making 335 horse (what a 383 Rooad Runner made) and the 440 6 Pack only an additional 15 horse over the standard 375 horse 440 4bbl.

Somehow these weak rated engines were sweeping the streets of the higher horse (rated) Chevrolets:scratchhe:rolleyes:

Go figure !

Sixlitre

p.s./
I remember several AMXs, 390 Javelins and Rambler SCramblers moping up the local Chevies on track day in the early to mid 70s.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if u really want to go crazy u could keep the engine until (or if )u get a mopar muscle car. i recently built a 451 stroker for my 68 charger...it should be pretty mean

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
if u really want to go crazy u could keep the engine until (or if )u get a mopar muscle car. i recently built a 451 stroker for my 68 charger...it should be pretty mean
They scream for a big block

They rev like they think they're a smallblock but put out more power and torque than any production Mopar BB ever did !

You'll love it I'm sure !

What a way to recycle knurled 440 cranks too !:thumbup

Make some sound bites for us 80 !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
117 Posts
when i get the engine in beleve me there will be some burnout videos and a little bit of everything else i can do. im in school right now and im gona build up a 727 for it in my drivetrain class. the car needs complete resoration so thats what i do all summer (when im not working)...but all and all im impressed by ya six...i thought i might have to explain what the 451 entailed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts