Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through the big Chute this year while vacationing at a cottage on Gloucester Pool. We ended up doing a day trip going through some of the locks in the local area. This is part of the Trent-Severn waterway which runs from Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay. The Big Chute is a Marine Railway that was originally meant to be temporary when they ran out of money during WW1 and then also during the recession when they again began building a lock. It was pretty interesting to go through and was the only type of "lock" on the system that I haven't gone through yet. Just thought some folks here might think it was interesting. If anyone is looking for a spot to vacation in Canada, anywhere along the Trent-Severn is a beautiful place to escape and isn't that far from Toronto. Best bring a boat with an aluminum or plastic prop though (and a spare), some of the lakes can be shallow and rocky.:doh0715:

Mods if I put this in the wrong place could you please move it. I think this is the appropriate place.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
Nice boat, Fitzcarraldo. That's an interesting piece of civil engineering. What is it attached to, a pair of lakes? Or does it only givea change in altitude on that river, say, over a falls?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice boat, Fitzcarraldo. That's an interesting piece of civil engineering. What is it attached to, a pair of lakes? Or does it only givea change in altitude on that river, say, over a falls?
It was a nice boat, they even stopped part way up so the guy could get a couple pictures of his props. They weren't busy and said it was the cheapest dry dock in the area. lol.

The Trent-Severn has 45 locks (actually they are mostly locks, 2 marine railways, and a couple of lift locks I believe which if you think this is and engineering marvel look into those things)(also could be wrong on some of the numbers here) The Big Chute (lock number 44) brings you from Gloucester Pool, which is the second last lake in the system or the second if you are coming from the bay I guess, and it takes you up to Severn River, if you follow that for about 45 minutes you get to Severn Rapids (lock number 43) which eventually ends up in Sparrow lake. You can see a map of the waterway here with all the locks marked. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z-0XgUmH2TW8.kOx5G0LKhcoI&hl=en I have only ever done parts of the system myself but someday I hope to spend 2-4 weeks and complete the entire thing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just realized I have a couple of pictures of Lock #43 as well. So you get a sense of how big this is, you can see the Lock Master standing up on the walkway at the top.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
Oh, yeah. The Hiram Chittenden Government Locks in Seattle are about the same dimensions, but you only get into Lake Union and the Lake Washington Ship Canal. I'm so amazed that that system exists, as I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, it is a great place to vacation. I believe the Trent-Severn and the Muskoka area even made National Geographic's top 10 places to vacation list. There are alot of small little interesting towns that grow around the locks as well as a couple of big places with good shopping. Fishing is pretty great in some of the lakes. Some of the locks don't even have power and are hand operated. there are some spots along the waterway that are a little remote. Went with the In-laws last year for their 25th, rented a big house boat and spent a week near the center of the system.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
I dunno if it would go on my bucket list (it's way too long as it is), but it looks like it would be a hellaciously beautiful trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts