Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well one day i was out n about n turned my truck off n she wouldnt crank back up so i replaced some parts and it will crank up now...misses REAL bad. sounds like it has one bad a** cam in it. its gettin good fire, fuel and air. i replaced the plugs, wires, MAP sensor, ignition control module, pick-up coil, coolant temp sensor and fuel filter. the plugs were covered in gas before i replaced them. she runs realllll bad, most of the time u have to hold it to the floor for it to crank, when it does crank it runs for a few seconds or it cuts off when u put it in gear. u can hold it to the floor and it will move but it eventually choke out n die. anyone have any ideas wat my prob could be?? the shop said that the timing is as good as it can get, but im not sure. feels like the timing belt has slack to me. if anyone could please help me quick please let me know. im tired of spending money on it and tired of wasting time on bogus parts, by the way the dist. is totally rebuilt.

·
College User
2,015 Posts
Need ryan aka Fireguy50 to chime in, idk could be some sensor, you pull any codes from it?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
First, reset your computer. Computers remember old sensor info, and when you pop in any new sensors, they don't know what to do. Just unplug the battery for about half an hour. Second, double check your plug wires. You may have them in the wrong order, and don't take that as an insult. Even skilled mechanics get it mixed up at times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there was none that would make it not run. by the way...it runs rough with the map sensor unplugged and worse when i plug the map sensor up???

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
That's why I'm sayin to reset the computer. It's confused. Just try it at least. If it doesn't work, at least you'll know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
just my 2 cents but did u check IAC, TPS and EGR junk if applicable?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,816 Posts
how about your fuel pressure regulator. if its sending to much fuel to the cylinders causing it to flood out. or bad injectors. have you checked the timing, what is it set at? have you done a compression test? whats the milage on this motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tried resetting the computer but still nothing. it really could be the fuel pressure reg. cuz ive replaced 2 sets of plugs in the last month due to filing out bad and being covered with gas. but one thing that i see very strange, they have a bolt in the coil wire to the dist, its leaned against the point where the coil wire plugs to the dist and when i plug the wire up it doesnt run, when the bolt is on it, it runs. wat could that be? they said at the shop my injectors were good. how much is a fuel pressure reg? hard to replace? come on guys i really need to get this thing going...thanks alot for the help so far. by the way, there is like 200,000 miles on the motor, compression is good when it actually runs....thanks

·
3,420 Posts
:doh:
Did you check the timing it sound like it could be running very advanced. Big cams sound like they do because they don't like running at idle. An engine running very advance idle will have no power down low. the coolant temp sensor I know will advance/retard the timing so reseting the computer could fix it if it's timing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive replaced the coil wire 3 times already in the last month....i already tried resetting the computer it didnt work...timing is perfect from wat the professional at ford dealership says, he cant even figure it out now.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I'm having trouble picturing what you are talking about with the bolt. Could you post some pictures?
Fuel pressure regulators aren't hard to replace, assuming you have the tools and know what you are doing. Maybe fireguy can post the tools link again. It will show/tell you how to disconnect fuel rails.
One more thing that you may want to try is checking for vacuum leaks. The best way I have seen to do this is to take a torch(not lit, but turned on) and run it across the lines while the truck is running. When/if the idle picks up, then that's where your leak is. You can also use carberator cleaner to do this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts