Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big Time Emergency(Differential?)

Man my rear wheels are locking up for no reason.All new brakes and hardwhere a couple months ago.Thought it was my trac lock rearend so I put in a modifiere today.Shit I jack it up and caint even spin either wheel.It has anti lock brakes,could it be that f****** u p on me.What does that exciter ring do in the rear.Can I unhook something to check it out.The brakes are ajusted right.I dont get it.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
No it isn't your anti lock brakes causing this. Search is your friend. You may have sticking wheel cylinders. Hold on a second. You said you can't even turn the wheel and then you say the brakes are adjusted propperly. What did you do when you discovered your wheels wouldn't turn, EXACTLY, what did you do next?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
my vote is wheel cylinder sticking or worse....exciter ring is VSS.....antilock breaks aint got nothing to do with this.....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
94 Bronco

I took the wheels off and backed the brakes off enough to get the drums off and everything looks good.Everything just acted like nothing ever happened.I went ahead and took the E brake shit off since it was easy just to eliminate it as a problem.This is the only time I've ever seen wheel lock on it.Now it just has that chatter feeling coming out of it in the rear.Like the limited slip.It really only does it if the front wheels are turned or I'm making a turn.Like a brake dragging.Jumping in the drum.You can see it in the mirrors.They jump!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What

Or WORSE what does that mean.Man I've put new wheel bearings in the rear to.If I'm going straight it doesnt do it,or if it does it isn't bad enough i can feel it yet.I'll start pulling straight forward.no grabing,turn the wheel and it starts.And this is all without touching the brake.Shit I'll block off the rear brakes and see what happens just to eliminate the brakes I guess.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
You need to put the E-brake stuff back on and make sure it's functioning properly. The only time I ever had a problem not being able to get a drum off, back on, or locking up like that it was because a PO removed or forgot to put the E-brake bar back in.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Isn't the rear brakes disc in a 98? The parking brake shoes could be out of adjustment or broken if it's the kind inside the rotors.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
94 Bronco

The bar,The lever on the shoe,and the cable is off.There is absolutly (0) to do with an E brake left on the rear.It is as if there never was one.I'll put the shit back on after I figure this out.If it ever gets figured out.They want like $500.00 for a freakin used rear in the junk yards around here.I dont know what to do?
And obviously it was working properly because it's still doing the same shit.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
It helps others.... when you put the SUBJECT in the SUBJECT LINE. I mean, you already were posting in the EMERGENCY section, right? FFS.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
While you have your wheels and drums off, can you spin the axles??

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I can spin them.What also dawned on me last night is that when I first put the back brakes on and had it jacked up,when I turned one wheel forward the other went backwards.Not any more.I f I turn it either way the other one goes the same direction.Like it should with the traction lock set up.You can have someone hold the other side and it will SLIP.

·
Registered
136 Posts
steveravenscroft said:
Yes I can spin them.What also dawned on me last night is that when I first put the back brakes on and had it jacked up,when I turned one wheel forward the other went backwards.Not any more.I f I turn it either way the other one goes the same direction.Like it should with the traction lock set up.You can have someone hold the other side and it will SLIP.
That doesn't sound like a break issue. It almost sounds like your spider and axle gears in your diff are screwed up. Simple to check. Pop the diff cover and take a look.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
differential

Man I wish it would just blow up.I'm sick of trying to figure this one out.After that friction modifier I thought it may be getting better,till tonight.No probs for a 10 to 12 mile drive.Then hooking a right at a light,there was all that chatter feeling coming out of the rear.The harder I'm on it the worse it feels.
When I pull in the drive I feel it to,but the wheels have to be turned for it to do it.That is why I think it's in the rear.Cause one tire is turning more or less than the other.=(The Limited Slip)chattering.Right?It will do it reverse to but only under a load,holding the break a little with wheels turned.This is like the twilight zone.
Every thing inside the diff I could see looked good.All the teeth on the ring and the pinion looked as good as any I've seen and not had a problem from.
Why only when I'm turning?If it were anything other than the clutches you would think it would be doing something all the time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you do have a limited slip diff, it could be the clutches going out in it. When you drained the lube out of it, was there alot of flakey, grainy, black stuff in it? If the clutches go out, then it's metal on metal contact that will make them "grab" kinda like you're describing. Unfortunately the only way to tell for sure is to drop the carrier out and pull it apart.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok everyone I appreciate the imput.I'll try to get it pulled this weekend or monday and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts