Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally have gotten started with my 1979 frame off. Here is what I am starting with.

Standard issue fender rot.

cab roof rot - ths worries me a little bit

Tailgate is almost perfect

Here is where I'm at now

BF

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Pix of the 351M

And the replacement motor, a 460 to be built into 502 CID

Been working on getting the front clip off but this baby is chock full of rust. I hope the chassis still has enough integrity to it to be usable. Managed to get all the bolts out of the front end and the only carnage was 3 sawzall blades and a broken ratchet handle. But the front clip is still on so I haven't won that battle yet.

I imagine this build is going to take me over a year. Plans include 502CID, NP203/205/C6, 10.25/D60, 4 wheel disc brakes with F350 upgrade, 6" lift with 38s. Full chassis and body restoration. I will update as I make progress.

Plans for the next 7-10 days get the clip off, Monday I drop the 460 off to Laroque Racing Engines, pick up my axles and front springs next Friday, and hopefully order the Cage RA and D60 weld on brackets this week.

Comments and criticism always welcome.

BF

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
I dont think I've ever seen you're bronco before. Is it gonna be a mall terrain unit or a trail rig? Cant wait to see more progress...

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
It doesn't look as bad as some resto projects floating about, but it also looks like it'll be challenging enough. Have fun and keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think I've ever seen you're bronco before. Is it gonna be a mall terrain unit or a trail rig? Cant wait to see more progress...
Well that's a more difficult question to answer than you may imagine! Considering I spend about 95% of my time in the Washington D.C. metro area, with about half of that time inside the concrete jungle of WDC itself, there aren't many places to go wheeling. I would like to get away from here a few times a year and go wheeling, maybe with FSB group rides and meet & greets, I just learned about Rausch Creek, and I'd like to see Tellico. I know there is a Mud Bog Circuit here too, and I'd like to try that someday just for fun, as well as hit Maryland International Raceway for Test & Tune one time just to say I did it. I'm not into rocks so I won't be doing any rock crawling specific mods but plan on eventually adding roll over protection, a reciever winch, and appropriate tools and off road necessities.

I guess to over complicate what should be an easy answer I could just simply say I want to go middle of the road, mild wheeling, definitely not daily driver, and you will definitely not ever see it in a mall parking lot. :toothless

Oh, and I am always open to suggestions. As I put my ideas out there I am sure you guys will hold nothing back on letting me know your feelings of the build.

It doesn't look as bad as some resto projects floating about, but it also looks like it'll be challenging enough. Have fun and keep us updated.
Yeah, she's still pretty bad. The truck was supposedly restored in the 90's sometime, but as you can see it wasn't done right. The fender patches are rusting through, and it looks like the frame hasn't EVER been cleaned or rust treated. The cab has no floor boards, and I am really concerned about fixing the cab roof right and stopping that rust, but just don't know how I'm gonna do it with it being double skinned and all.

BF

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
502..... why not go for the augusto and make it a 545CID
I wanted to go 545. My engine builder convinced me I was going too big... I actually had settled on a 514/521 and am now down to 502. I think it all will boil down to time and money. And pump gas lol.

Unfortunately I subscribe to the Tim the tool man mantra BIGGER is BETTER.

Honestly I have no need for 545 CID, or 502 for that matter, but I just want it. No other practical reason. I guess really there is no practical reason for this build at all...

but i'll be doing it nevertheless:rockon:rockon

BF

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Yeah, thats the way I am with my bronco too, its not dedicated to just one thing either like DD'in, mall shoppin, trail ridin ect. Its just a toy of all sorts. Keep the pics comin...:popc1:

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is supposed to be a bolt in the door jam holding the front clip on. I am not seeing this. I do see a potential spot for a bolt, maybe the previous owner didn't put it in. Can someone post a pic or a really good description of where this bolt should be? I will hopefully have the front clip off in Monday if I can get a couple buddys over to help lift it off.

Thanks.

BF

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Right below the top door hinge about 3" in is a bolt that goes into the fender. 1/2" wrench to take it out.

On a more serious note I have sent better Bronco tubs to the junkyard than what you are starting with. My hats off to you if you continue on with that body. She is very badly rusted especially the roof rails.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right below the top door hinge about 3" in is a bolt that goes into the fender. 1/2" wrench to take it out.

On a more serious note I have sent better Bronco tubs to the junkyard than what you are starting with. My hats off to you if you continue on with that body. She is very badly rusted especially the roof rails.
I'd love to find a better tub. Not much to choose from in the tri-state area. The chassis and drive train will take me a while to complete, i'll be looking for a better tub in the meantime.

Thanks for the help on the bolts. They aren't there. One less thing I guess.

Dave

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I tried to give away a tub that had less rust than that..It ended up going to scrap metal. Looks like you have alot of time and fun ahead of you my friend!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To bad shipping would kill the deal.
True that.

I do have a donor tub that is in considerably better shape but still has some questionable spots. Also came with bucket seats that I plan to use, and full trim package. The problem is I do not have a title for it, and can't get a duplicate title because the previous owner is using the VIN and frame for his truggy build. I can't very well change the tags from one tub to the other without ruining them, not to mention that I think it's not legal. I KNOW it is not legal to retag a chassis, not sure about body tubs.

I will just have to get what good parts I can from both, and keep looking for a good tub/cab.

BF

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Front clip off.

Rust.

rust

rust

rust

rust

Is there any reason why the driver's side shock is in front of the axle and the passenger side shock is behind the axle?

I plan on relocating both shocks to the front of the axle to make room for fender exit headers.

Got one tons?

Sterling 10.25, KP D60, out of 1989 F350.

6 inch Deavers

More later I hope.

BF

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
the Vin Tag is on the drivers door of the truck

the decal on the post even though has the vin number in it is the Data tag for GVW and other info

you can use the better tub as there is no other vin on it just use your Vin on you drivers door and the Vin numbers on your Frame

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.