Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Anybody want the front bench out of my Bronco? It is red with a red seat cover on it. Unsure of the condition of the seat under the seat cover. I'll post a pic when I get it removed. First to come get it takes it.

BF

· Lick my balls
12,958 Posts
Brother you'd be way ahead of the game to get a rust free bronco from the southwest and ship it home. Good luck
I agree. The rot that you have shown us is really bad and you haven't even started the patch work. It only gets worse. You are looking at hundreds of hours of work and you wont see anykind of monetary return (down the road) to justify the kind of work you are talking about. Mind you, if you want the practice and have the time and determination to do it, then go for it. Personally, I lost the drive to work on something that far gone about a decade ago.

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Brother you'd be way ahead of the game to get a rust free bronco from the southwest and ship it home. Good luck
To rebuild this body, or combine this tub and the other one I have, using the best parts of each tub to make one good one, will only cost me labor and welding wire. Unfortunately this is just the way Broncos in the northeast look. To ship one from south or west would be cost prohibitive.

When I post pics of my donor tub perhaps we will all be a little more optimistic, it isn't as bad as this one.

· Registered
984 Posts
Big, mine looked just as bad if not worse, if you can fix it, go for it, I would have loved to get a rust free tub too but that was not an option for me either, good luck, keep up the good work and I can't wait to see more...Rick

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You guys are gonna have to forgive me on how slow my build is going. Gonna be about this pace the whole time i'm afraid. I don't have the right tools to lift heavy items like the axles so I have to work when I can get friends to come over on their spare time. That is why the body is still on the chassis. Plus this is my first build of any kind- well I did restore an antique tractor, but this is much more complex than that and I want it to turn out nice.

I have managed to get 6 of the body mounts off, 3 no problem and 3 twisted off. The 2 in the middle of the tub had 15/16" square nuts on them, is that factory? I can't imagine Ford using square nuts on anything in 1979. The 2 mounts in the fenderwells are going to be a b!tch.

Lets talk paint. I want to coat the chassis in rust bullet, applied as directed by the manufacturer, then coat it with a durable black coating. I was going to Durabak the chassis for durability, but i'm thinking the grit will hold dirt/mud/salt so now I am thinking a glossy black will be better.

What are all of your opinions on a high quality black enamel that will protect and preserve when used with the rust bullet??

Whatever I use on the chassis will also be used in all hidden areas of the body, fenders, etc. I am going to go to my mom's farm on thursday to get pix of my donor body. I will post the pix when I get them.

BF

· yes
2,109 Posts
You guys are gonna have to forgive me on how slow my build is going. Gonna be about this pace the whole time i'm afraid. I don't have the right tools to lift heavy items like the axles so I have to work when I can get friends to come over on their spare time. That is why the body is still on the chassis. Plus this is my first build of any kind- well I did restore an antique tractor, but this is much more complex than that and I want it to turn out nice.

I have managed to get 6 of the body mounts off, 3 no problem and 3 twisted off. The 2 in the middle of the tub had 15/16" square nuts on them, is that factory? I can't imagine Ford using square nuts on anything in 1979. The 2 mounts in the fenderwells are going to be a b!tch.

Lets talk paint. I want to coat the chassis in rust bullet, applied as directed by the manufacturer, then coat it with a durable black coating. I was going to Durabak the chassis for durability, but i'm thinking the grit will hold dirt/mud/salt so now I am thinking a glossy black will be better.

What are all of your opinions on a high quality black enamel that will protect and preserve when used with the rust bullet??

Whatever I use on the chassis will also be used in all hidden areas of the body, fenders, etc. I am going to go to my mom's farm on thursday to get pix of my donor body. I will post the pix when I get them.

BF
Mine are square as well...

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Frame is off. Pics soon. I found that several of the body mounts have rusted completely through. I am in need of all 4 of the outside the frame body mount brackets if anybody has them please hit me up. My PM is open.

I will try to get some pics of progress up soon, so far I have the body off, rear axle out, currently working on dropping the tank and have a guy coming to pull the engine and take it with him. Also have a guy that wants the front axle. Once I get the frame bare then hopefully I can start adding parts instead of removing them :thumbup

Dave

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Update, and as promised I have pix...

Body off.

Custom rust-protective coating

Rusted through body mount brackets

The frame is rusted through at the rear most body mounts. I am glad this is the only spot where the frame is comprimised to the point of failure.

I got the tank dropped, what is the reccomended way to store the tank safely for the next several months? Should I fill it with water? Or just duct tape the openings? The tank is in much better shape than I expected, so I might not replace it with a Poly tank like I originally planned.

Found a place in Hyattsville, Md. called Premeir Powder Coating that said for $450-600 (over the phone estimate) they could media balst the frame completely clean, and powder coat it for me. This may be the route I go now, not too fond of grinding/wire wheeling an entire frame and after all the effort still having rust to content with in the future. What do y'all think?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.