Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Forgot to mention that I did ditch that old body. It was just too far gone. I cut the bed floor out and saved it to make an access panel to the fuel tank, also saved some of the skin from the cab roof in case I need to make patch panels for anything, as well as the entire dash and firewall and all attached components, just in case.

I have a '78 Bronco body at my mom's farm I will use that is in much better shape. Got it from an FSB member last year, for some reason he ditched this nice body and put a Jeep on his Bronco chassis? At any rate, this body also came with a complete trim package, another good tailgate, doors, clip, everything. I will try to get pix (if I can just remember to stop by with my camera).

Dave

· Fullsize Member
2,845 Posts
Looks good so far. About you're tank, I would just get all the gas you can out of it, clean if debris is inside, and store with hole covered (rag and duct tape). If possible keep it stored away from living quarters and heat/sparks (ie shed ect).

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Frame brackets for body mounts

After significant searching found this site http://www.73-79fordtrucks.com/framedept.html
The Frame Dept said:
5077-R-SC RIGHT FRONT CAB MOUNT BRACKET 65.00 EA.
5077-L-SC LEFT FRONT CAN MOUNT BRACKET 65.00 EA.
and these
Ebay body mounts for Ford Ranger
I know these are for the Ranger but something like this would work for the rear Bronco cab mounts I think. I do not think the rear cab mounts for an F-truck are the same so they won't work... or will they?

Dave

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Do some research on the 73-79fordtrucks website before you buy anything from them. I've heard nothing but horror stories from people who have bought from them. From what I've heard, I would never buy anything from them, but that's just me.
Thanks for the warning. I will keep shopping around in hopes of finding good used or new mounts, but will keep them in the back of my mind in case I have no luck.

I may just have my welder buddy fab me up some new brackets. Can't be all that difficult for an experienced welder to do, ya think? He welds for a living.

Dave

· yes
2,109 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I will keep shopping around in hopes of finding good used or new mounts, but will keep them in the back of my mind in case I have no luck.

I may just have my welder buddy fab me up some new brackets. Can't be all that difficult for an experienced welder to do, ya think? He welds for a living.

Dave
Thats what i was gonna suggest...there pretty simple...

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for chiming in Mike. Don't forget to keep us all posted on your progress. I am watching your build, since we're doing very similar builds...

On the frame mount issue, I talked to my welder buddy today, and I think we are going to do new weldment body mounts. Pics will be forthcoming...

Dave

· yes
2,109 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Mike. Don't forget to keep us all posted on your progress. I am watching your build, since we're doing very similar builds...

On the frame mount issue, I talked to my welder buddy today, and I think we are going to do new weldment body mounts. Pics will be forthcoming...

Dave
My project is slow going...I'm working more now and going to school so my time is limited...and i also decided that I'm going to do all my body work as well so that slowed it down even more...I'm gonna weld up my floor and then get the body off and get the frame and suspension / axles done then finish off the body...

I'd like to see some pics of your new mounts be sure to post pics :beer

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ya, not much progress to post. I have the frame bare, and now the weather is cold and rainy and i'm sure snow will be on the menu shortly. I have little motivation when it comes to cold weather. I'm sure this spring things will pick up significantly.

I have been in touch with CAGE, hopefully the group buy will be finalized soon so I can get my arms and brackets.

Dave

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
On the ones that have some metal to them I am going to either weld big ass washers in there or else weld them with flat stock and redrill them.
On the mounts that are mostly gone I am going to make new mounts.

I say "I" am doing the work, but actually my buddy who welds for a living is going to do the welding.

I was going to buy new front mounts from that 73-79 ford truck website but apparently they have a bit of a bad rep here so I don't know...

Dave

· Registered
102 Posts
Hi, i had exactly the same problem with my body mounts and ended up buying frame savers from Bronco g/yard. I also ended up buying a complete body mount hard ware set from there as well ouch! It would`nt have been so bad if i had`nt already rushed ahead earlier and sent off for a set of energy suspension bushes and so ended up with two sets of bushes!!:duh The frame savers worked out well for me but i don`t think my chassis was quite as rotten as yours but I found it easy enough to weld up,it`s good thick steal.I do however have a body that`s worse than yours of which i have no option but to weld up being as i live in the UK. Getting any repair panels over here works out so dear so when every body was talking about just getting another "tub" I was nearly crying:cry. Good luck with yours and remember there`s always someone dafter than you!!! Cheers:beer

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
NO progress. Not one update.

Not one.

I know, I suck. But I did go and fix most of the broken picture links. No more updates until after I am finished with the addition to the house, and then It's on

Dave

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.