Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone swapped a higher amp alternator with a different year vehicle to get more amperage? if so what vehicle?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
buy one from Fireguy50.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Or find one off a ambulance/wrecker/rescure truck/ etc. Most of these have a 200 or bigger amp alt. and give you at least 120 amps at idle. It's allot cheaper than buying a new one

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Or find one off a ambulance/wrecker/rescure truck/ etc. Most of these have a 200 or bigger amp alt. and give you at least 120 amps at idle. It's allot cheaper than buying a new one
That is pointless, because a 6rib belt can't produce more than ~180amps :duh

·
Registered
553 Posts
I really can't understand that? All belts slip, some less, some more. I have run many hi-current alts over many years and never had power loss due to slipping belts. I have run 5 -200 amp alts on my audio system years ago and never had a problem. Please explain this to me? Not being a dickhe** about it but you got my mind turning. We even tested the output on the alts using a 6 rib and we got way more than 80amps. I can't remember off hand but I know it was over 115 at idle. Wouldn't this cause the belts to wear faster? We never replace a belt during the 5 years I ran the truck

·
Registered
553 Posts

250 AMP Alt

6 rib

Idle current 120

This is for a Gm but the website I found offers the same specs for a ford, v belt, 6 rib, and 8 rib for diesel. the only thing I can find out about the 8 rib is that most diesel come with 8 ribs. I do understand that 2 more ribs will reduce slippage and 2 less will increase slippage but that would be shown by belts being worn faster wouldn't it?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
so a v-belt works better? or do you have your numbers wrong?
I forgot the 1, it should say:
6rib belt can only produce ~180amps before it slips
I really can't understand that? All belts slip, some less, some more. I have run many hi-current alts over many years and never had power loss due to slipping belts. I have run 5 -200 amp alts on my audio system years ago and never had a problem. Please explain this to me? Not being a dickhe** about it but you got my mind turning. We even tested the output on the alts using a 6 rib and we got way more than 80amps. I can't remember off hand but I know it was over 115 at idle. Wouldn't this cause the belts to wear faster? We never replace a belt during the 5 years I ran the truck
The regulator doesn't run an alt at max output all the time. If you had 5 alternators, I bet they were running far under their max. A v-Belt can turn a 200amp rated alternator if it never sees a demand over 100amps. Some people just have to have the biggest toy, even if its just for show (not directed at anyone here :beer )
250 AMP Alt / 6 rib / Idle current 120
This is for a Gm but the website I found offers the same specs for a ford, v belt, 6 rib, and 8 rib for diesel. the only thing I can find out about the 8 rib is that most diesel come with 8 ribs. I do understand that 2 more ribs will reduce slippage and 2 less will increase slippage but that would be shown by belts being worn faster wouldn't it?
what web site is that from? Did GM or Ford put a 250amp alt on a 6rib vehicle from the factory?
That Mitsubishi alt pictured above was offered from the factory on Ford ambulances. not an aftermarket product idea.
Any 200amp alt with a 6rib belt will have a lot of black belt dust all over the front of it.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Ryan-so no real point in the 200amp alt upgrade if your only gonna get about 20 more amps then a 160?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Plus the 200amp alts cost $250, it's not worth it.
Those are the 2 reasons why I stoped selling the 200amp alts

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Plus the 200amp alts cost $250, it's not worth it.
Those are the 2 reasons why I stoped selling the 200amp alts
Kinda figured-whole nother reason why a good hydro winch setup is the bomb.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Kinda figured-whole nother reason why a good hydro winch setup is the bomb.

yea, well, that will take some work on your part too since it's a whole new set of issues:

hydro leaks
you really need a seperate pump, not your steering pump
which means thinking about the belts, pulleys, etc
getting the volume and flow right, etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts