Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gearing up the diffs to 4.56 with full time locker in ford 9" rear.

What would be the biggest safe tire size for the d44 ttb front with stock axles and joints.

a) open diff

b) selectable locker

c) full time locker

and the same again with custom axles and joints.

No extreme rock crawlin expected but will be used hard at times.

Thanks

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Agreed. Stick with the 35s. They're cheaper, and would be safer (from an equipment replacement standpoint).

There are reports that the stock TTB's effective limit is 38s, but that is under exceptionally mild conditions. Your mileage may vary.

The selction of lockers would have no real effect on the tire size the TTB can handle. The diff gears arent the only weakspot in the design when it comes to big meats. There are several others, but those are all covered within my next paragraph.

And for future reference, this has (well, the stock setups) all been covered numerous times in the past. Please click the button on the top of the forum page..or the one I've provided above to search previous posts.

Just both sides of my 2 cent piece.

Cheers.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
a) open front max 35-37's. 37's is pushing, but if you are light on gas.

b) selectable locker, 35's, again 37's if your real light.

c) I wouldn't run a non selectable locker in the front of a ttb, but I would go max 33's. I wouldn't even think about it if you were crazy on the gas.

^^ above for ttb 44. IMO

·
F.O.T.Y. 2003
8,373 Posts
RavenTBK said:

The selction of lockers would have no real effect on the tire size the TTB can handle.

I disagree....a locker would be harder on the axles and joints, because an open diff would just sent power to whatever wheel wants to spin easier...I think that would allow a larger tire with an open diff...

Not Saying It Is Better To Be Open.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Crazed said:
I disagree....a locker would be harder on the axles and joints, because an open diff would just sent power to whatever wheel wants to spin easier...I think that would allow a larger tire with an open diff...

Not Saying It Is Better To Be Open.

I fully agree with Crazed :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts