Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went ahead and went with the edelbrock e-street 5203 heads. They have 170cc intake runners, 1.90 intake valves, 1.54 exhaust valves, and 60cc chambers. They match right up to the eddy performer intake I bought and I can run them on my stock block and pistons with my stock HO cam. I’ll tackle the block swap at a later date. I’ll pick up some extra ponies and torque and lose a little weight in the process. Parts coming in the week and I’ll swap them over the next week.

Edelbrock 5023 CYLINDER HEAD Amazon.com: Edelbrock 5023 CYLINDER HEAD: Automotive

ARP 1543603 High Performance Hex Cylinder Head Bolts Amazon.com: ARP 1543603 High Performance Hex Cylinder Head Bolts: Automotive

Edelbrock 7313 GASKET Amazon.com: Edelbrock 7313 GASKET: Automotive

COMP Cams 1442-16 Magnum Roller 1.6 ratio, 3/8" Stud Diameter Rocker Arm for Small Block Ford (Non Rail Type), AMC V8 and Oldsmobile V8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062Y9UE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Kg0qEbRM797X4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I went ahead and went with the edelbrock e-street 5203 heads. They have 170cc intake runners, 1.90 intake valves, 1.54 exhaust valves, and 60cc chambers. They match right up to the eddy performer intake I bought and I can run them on my stock block and pistons with my stock HO cam. I’ll tackle the block swap at a later date. I’ll pick up some extra ponies and torque and lose a little weight in the process. Parts coming in the week and I’ll swap them over the next week.

Edelbrock 5023 CYLINDER HEAD Amazon.com: Edelbrock 5023 CYLINDER HEAD: Automotive

ARP 1543603 High Performance Hex Cylinder Head Bolts Amazon.com: ARP 1543603 High Performance Hex Cylinder Head Bolts: Automotive

Edelbrock 7313 GASKET Amazon.com: Edelbrock 7313 GASKET: Automotive

COMP Cams 1442-16 Magnum Roller 1.6 ratio, 3/8" Stud Diameter Rocker Arm for Small Block Ford (Non Rail Type), AMC V8 and Oldsmobile V8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062Y9UE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Kg0qEbRM797X4

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I also found this info on the HO cam

the Camshaft is one major difference.. the HO cam is based off a marine 351 grind.. it's fairly aggressive..

cam specs lift 444int./452exh. adv. dur 206int./221exh. on a 115 lobe separation

From /www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8364>

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
@BigBlue94 @MS88Bronc

My understanding is the stock rocker ration is 1.6 - correct?

So with the HO cam lift of about .450 it’s actually .720? That seems like a lot.

Wondering if I should go 1.7 on the rockets with stock pistons - clearance issues?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,817 Posts
@BigBlue94 @msbronc88

My understanding is the stock rocker ration is 1.6 - correct?

So with the HO cam lift of about .450 it’s actually .720? That seems like a lot.

Wondering if I should go 1.7 on the rockets with stock pistons - clearance issues?

I believe that’s correct for the 1.6 ratio. I’m not sure on the 1.7 clearance - I THINK it would be ok.

The HO cam lift of .450 is actually .720 lift? I’m not familiar with that. How does that work? In my old mustang, I had a .492 lift and I think 210 duration with flat tops on stock block (bored 0.0040) and heads (shaved 0.0010) and that thing was pretty hot. It would shake the car sitting at idle. That .720 number seems very high.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on. The advertised cam lift includes the stock rocker ratio.

So

.444/1.6=.278 actual lobe lift
A 1.7 rocker would give .472/.480

·
Registered
567 Posts
For pushrods, you'll need the Comp Cams pushrod length checker.
And I'd probably suggest getting the Checker Springs also.
Figure out the length you need and buy that length pushrod.
YouTube has a lot of how-to videos.

I like those E-Street heads but they don't work out-of-the-box with a roller engine.
Only flat-tappet. So I went with the Speedworld heads for my roller 351 build.

Sucks too, because Summit had a huge sale on them at the time I was buying.
They may have another sale on Valentine's Day?
Might save some of your buying for then.

Having a short-block built takes time.
Might want to check out the ATK ready-to-ship blocks on Summit.
They won't be as good as Tri-Star or Crebb Engineering but you'll get it faster.
And that sounds like something you're worried about?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
For pushrods, you'll need the Comp Cams pushrod length checker.
And I'd probably suggest getting the Checker Springs also.
Figure out the length you need and buy that length pushrod.
YouTube has a lot of how-to videos.

I like those E-Street heads but they don't work out-of-the-box with a roller engine.
Only flat-tappet. So I went with the Speedworld heads for my roller 351 build.

Sucks too, because Summit had a huge sale on them at the time I was buying.
They may have another sale on Valentine's Day?
Might save some of your buying for then.

Having a short-block built takes time.
Might want to check out the ATK ready-to-ship blocks on Summit.
They won't be as good as Tri-Star or Crebb Engineering but you'll get it faster.
And that sounds like something you're worried about?
I’m running FT and minimal budget. Stretching to do the e-streets. Really need to spend a couple thousand on gears.

I’ve got the checker and a solid lifter on order.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Yes, I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on. The advertised cam lift includes the stock rocker ratio.

So

.444/1.6=.278 actual lobe lift
A 1.7 rocker would give .472/.480

This is correct. Cams are labeled as the total lift, not just the lobe lift.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,817 Posts
Is there a drain plug on the 351w somewhere to drain the coolant from the block?

IIRC there are two, one on each side below cylinders 4 and 8 near the oil pan.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,817 Posts
Thank you

What do you guys usually put on the head bolts during assembly?

It’s been a long time since I built an engine, but I think ARP makes an assembly lube. I forget the exact name of it.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
ARP makes an assembly lube that allows the proper torque to be applied to the studs/bolts.

Bolts that need sealed because they enter the water jackets, get permatex seal-lock. It's a thread sealer and blue loctite in one.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts