Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through pages and pages of Bilstein shock threads. WIth no real solid answers.

Now, I am sure most of the lifts like anything are really a 6/4 for a 6" lift. You really going up 6" in the rear correct?

That being the case, The 6" front Bilsteins would work and the 4" bilsteins for the rear would work. Is this correct? I dont think a bronco sits level from the factory.

So the 3 common shock part numbers for front shocks, front aux shock, and rear shocks for lets say a Dick Cepek 6" lift would be what?

Bilstein 5100
front:BE5 - 6528 HS
Aux:
Rear:BE5 - 6244 HS

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,779 Posts
Your question is hard to understand. All the part numbers are on the Bilstein website under the 5100 application page. Bilstein does not make an aux shock for the 6" lift. The rear shocks are also the same for 4" and 6" lifts.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your question is hard to understand. All the part numbers are on the Bilstein website under the 5100 application page. Bilstein does not make an aux shock for the 6" lift. The rear shocks are also the same for 4" and 6" lifts.
I understand that they dont make one, so what are people using? what works? I have read that a TJ shock works. Can anyone confirm this? ANyone know which shock is working? I have seen some threads with some guys that really seemed like they knew what was going on. but no solid answers on quality dual shock set ups for a 6" lift

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,779 Posts
I understand that they dont make one, so what are people using? what works? I have read that a TJ shock works. Can anyone confirm this? ANyone know which shock is working? I have seen some threads with some guys that really seemed like they knew what was going on. but no solid answers on quality dual shock set ups for a 6" lift
There is no such thing as an application based 6" quad shock. Everything besides Bistein has a pair of the same generic valved shocks. Bilstein's quad shock setup uses two very different valvings to better control suspension travel. In Bilstein's case, the aux shock only dampens when the regular shock can't handle it.

Give the single 6" shock up front a try. If you feel you need more, call Bilstein and get a 5150 with their pin mount adapter.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Sorry for going slightly off topic but Stan from memory you had a 4" rancho lift with Bilsteins and I think I remember reading you went to Deaver 5.5s. Did you change shocks or are the 4" bilsteins doing the job? The reason I ask is I've got the 4" 5100s waiting to go in and would like to get 5.5 Deavers instead of some rock solid lifted coils.

Thanks,

Stu

·
Registered
153 Posts
i but 4in deavers in my truck (special made fancy shit right lol) and my 4in lift shocks were about 2in to short (they were bilstiens 5100) i'm running 6in 5100's in the front with the 4in in the rear. (just a touch short) my point is put the springs in and see if the shocks will drop as far as your springs, they didnt for me.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,779 Posts
Sorry for going slightly off topic but Stan from memory you had a 4" rancho lift with Bilsteins and I think I remember reading you went to Deaver 5.5s. Did you change shocks or are the 4" bilsteins doing the job? The reason I ask is I've got the 4" 5100s waiting to go in and would like to get 5.5 Deavers instead of some rock solid lifted coils.

Thanks,

Stu

I was but never got the Deavers. The 4" 5100's are going to be too short. The 6"ers will probably be too short as well. You should really get the coils on, measure travel, then order 5150's to match (with the pin mount adapter). You can always give a call to Bilstein and ask a tech there. Most of them are pretty knowledgeable and get set you up right.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, it didn't seem right that they would match but I thought 5.5 might be smaller than that once installed. Sounds like the opposite is true.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this thread is 10 years old but the info in here has helped me figure out what shock setup I need for my 1978 Bronco with a 6" suspension lift. After i figured out the correct collapsed/extended lengths of the shocks I need, I spoke to Bilstein this week about valving. They responded, "Typically for a dual shock set up on a Bronco you would want all four shocks up front to be 170/60 preferably. Doubling up on the shocks per corner doubles the effective valving so double of 170/60 is fine, but double of our heavier valved stuff like 255/70 or 360/80 would be rock solid. Stick with the 170/60 on the front end for dual shock set ups."

For the front of axle front shock: Part #33-230382
- Collapsed:17.90"
- Extended: 29.70"
- Travel: 11.94"
- Valving: 170/60

For the rear of axle front shock: Part #33-104645
- Collapsed:15.91"
- Extended: 25.93"
- Travel: 10.17"
- Valving: 170/60

Note: These values (taken from Bilstein's online catalog at the very bottom under Custom Fit Applications) also line up fairly close to the Jeff's Bronco Graveyard BDS shocks available for 6" lifted broncos.

HOWEVER, these are eye-to-eye mounts vs. the stem-to-eye mounts we currently have on the vehicle, so as @stan the man had stated, you'd need to install a shock mount conversion kit on the upper mounts to take the eye vs. the stem. This is the best (only?) setup I have come across that would enable me to use bilstein shocks. The next hurdle is to figure out bump stop extensions for the vehicle. Bilstein does not manufacture properly valved shocks for the stem-to-eye mount type in a quad shock application.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,506 Posts
huh?
I bought these for a 4" lift I was putting together but sold the rig before it happened and now they're in the For Sale section.

Part numbers and layout... again, these are for a 4" lift, not a 6".
2x FRONT/FRONT: 24-185523 = KIT: B4-KT1-Z103A02
2x FRONT/REAR: 24-186513 = KIT: B4-KT1-Z103A00
2x REAR ONLY: 24-185530 = KIT: B4-KT1-Z235A00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts