1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are all the #'s on the side.
f4-bf5-a198-hi
14" 255/70

Sorry to post this cause I'm sure it's been discussed but I found these and can get them at a real good deal and I need a quick answer before they get gone.

I'm wondering if these will work on the bko SAS?

From Bilstein site it looks like they will but I just wanted to verify. I think others have used them.

Oh and there is 4 of them.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
yea, length is right and eyelets. I should say length would work if you're going to be around 6-7" of lift, this typically gives you just the right room for mount 14" shocks, which is what I use. I'd think these would be a good score.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
yea but, my thinking was he still should snap up all 4. He's got soft coils, so I was wondering if the valving on these would be good for him to do dual shock front? I'm still wanting to do this on mine. with any big tire and soft coil he's going to want plenty of damping.

besides even if that didn't work out I bet a pair of these would move quickly in the for sale section.

Edit: you probably would be ok on the rear if you raised the upper, but left the lower in the stock position. I raised both upper and lower and run roughly an 11" shock.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Did you look at the bilstein site to see what valving it shows for solid axle dual front? I know you have to jump on this, would be nice to hear from a few folks running these, even better if they have duals.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Keep in mind that the 14" 5150 is almost 21" fully collapsed, after you add the stems, they are more around 22"/23" collapsed. I would really measure and make sure that you are not gonna bottom them out and ruin them!

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep in mind that the 14" 5150 is almost 21" fully collapsed, after you add the stems, they are more around 22"/23" collapsed. I would really measure and make sure that you are not gonna bottom them out and ruin them!

There's no adding of stems. They've got eyelets on both ends.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
There is if you're using the stock TTB coil buckets. Gotta add the stem adapters in order to bolt these in.

That would be a no go with 14" shocks IMO. Not tall enough unless he is looking at about 9" of lift. Those weee buckets are too short.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I run single 14" 5150s with the 255/70 valving on my 79. It's fairly lightweight for an FSB (no electronics, A/C, heavy bumpers/sliders, etc) and the dampening is sufficient for everything but jumping it (I've never jumped it, but the shocks are just acceptable for normal driving/wheeling, not totally "correct.") I'd run duals if I was going all out.

For what it's worth, Bilstein recommends dual 170 rate 5150s for an FSB.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is if you're using the stock TTB coil buckets. Gotta add the stem adapters in order to bolt these in.
NO TTB coils! Doing an SAS with late 70's coil buckets.

I run single 14" 5150s with the 255/70 valving on my 79. It's fairly lightweight for an FSB (no electronics, A/C, heavy bumpers/sliders, etc) and the dampening is sufficient for everything but jumping it (I've never jumped it, but the shocks are just acceptable for normal driving/wheeling, not totally "correct.") I'd run duals if I was going all out.

For what it's worth, Bilstein recommends dual 170 rate 5150s for an FSB.
I don't ever plan on jumping it. Just offroad, rock crawling type stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts