Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i stumbled upon some interesting info. I recently ended up in the hospital because i had a serious reaction to something i ate. i thought i was going to die. well that experience has really lit a fire under me and since then i have lost 20 pounds go jogging daily and have changed the way i eat, and i feel great.

but as any guy i love beef, but its bad for you. well turns out bison is really good for you and is just like beef. i have had it before but didnt know exactly how good it was, it has less calories and fat than even chicken or fish!

more protein than beef and tastes about the same. i can get bison meat ground at BJ's but i havent been able to find steaks, you guys know what big stores carry bison steaks? i do live pretty far from the plains down here in florida maybe thats why its so rare, might have to order some online.

edit: i found this but it seems a bit steep on the price
http://www.crownbluebison.com/store/Products/76-bison-grillmasters-selection.aspx

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah im a big fan of the burgers, but i wana try out one of their steaks, seems too good to be true. less fat than fish! cmon thats insane.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
start hunting. 2 deer will give u alot of meat

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
One thing to point out is that there is no USDA grading scale for bison, so you're at the mercy of the critter the independent butcher is getting in. Also part of this is that for a cut of beef to be USDA graded, the cow as it was raised has to have certain criteria. I won't defend the big companies raising cattle too much but they have gotten far more responsible with their use of pharma, though it depends from company to company.

I've bad Bison before, and it was good but grainy and dry. When they grind your burgers, are you sure that they are not adding anything to the burger in the grinding process? Lean is healthy, but marbling means flavor. If the burger is tasting delicious and its base is a 95%+ free ground bison meat, I'd be wondering if they weren't actually adding beef or bison fat. I've never had a bison burger so I can't offer input on it.

I would honestly like to see a USDA grading scale developed for Bison, though the marbling will never be the same. It'd be beneficial if we could reduce some of the fat content of our meat.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
though you are right about the usda not grading the meat, it dosent worry me because the FDA still has to inspect every part of the Bison production from butchering to labeling.

also the taste thing, it does taste really good and even if it dosent taste as good as beef (bison tatse great) it has too many health benefits to ignore.

BY THE NUMBERS
7.4 Grams of fat in one 3.5-ounce serving of skinless chicken breast
2.4 Grams of fat in one 3.5-ounce serving of bison
69 Percent more iron in bison than beef
25 Percent more protein in bison than beef

but ive been looking online and it does seem a bit pricey. but then again i dont really know because its hard to try to imagine a package of food that they show online. has anyone ordered any bison online?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Check your local mom and pop butcher shops, they'll either stock it or know where to get it. If you get it ground into burger it will have beef or pork fat added just like they do with wild game so your health benefits go down while the price goes up. To me it's nice to eat on a special occasion but I like beef better and I don't eat enough red meat for it to be a health factor anyway.
The place we get it from here local sells frozen patties for $9.99 per lb. and steaks are $21.99 per lb so you can see why I stick with beef. The place is called The Butcher Shoppe in Pensacola and their telephone number is 850-458-8781, they might ship it to you.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
One thing to point out is that there is no USDA grading scale for bison, so you're at the mercy of the critter the independent butcher is getting in. Also part of this is that for a cut of beef to be USDA graded, the cow as it was raised has to have certain criteria. I won't defend the big companies raising cattle too much but they have gotten far more responsible with their use of pharma, though it depends from company to company.

I've bad Bison before, and it was good but grainy and dry. When they grind your burgers, are you sure that they are not adding anything to the burger in the grinding process? Lean is healthy, but marbling means flavor. If the burger is tasting delicious and its base is a 95%+ free ground bison meat, I'd be wondering if they weren't actually adding beef or bison fat. I've never had a bison burger so I can't offer input on it.

I would honestly like to see a USDA grading scale developed for Bison, though the marbling will never be the same. It'd be beneficial if we could reduce some of the fat content of our meat.
The USDA is just another bloated Government agency that waste tax dollars and does nothing to insure your food is safe. For the USDA to even put forth a halfassed effort they would need to have agents onsite at every farm in the country 24hrs a day for eternity and that's impossible.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
First bison I've had was in ground burger form; the only problem was the burgers were 1/3 lb. in order to have enough fat to not be dry. But then again, that's what lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles are for. The burgers were fantastic with those and a hint of both brown and yellow mustard.

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
I get one a year from the wild herds, and it gets field dressed, quartered, and frozen then suffed in the 8 coolers for the trip home. Once we get home, it goes to the processing center around the corner from us that the deer hunters use, and is mixed with a little bit of suet to make it easier to work, less dry, and to help the flavor. The steaks, ribs, and tenderloin are simply sliced accordingly, and cooked as you would beef. I still end up giving about 1/2 of it away, as THAT is a full long bed truck of nothing but meat. Wouldn't go back to straight beef if I HAD to.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
I love the stuff, I bought it by the pound for a while and used it in hamburger helper, made burgers or what ever I felt like using it in. It is definately more lean than beef.

Lots of people put beef fat in venison to make it a little easier to work with. If bison is so lean it's hard to cook, maybe that's a good route.
Pork fat is the best thing to use in venison.:thumbup

·
Registered
240 Posts
There's a roadside vendor in Stone Cabin, AZ who cooks the greatest bison burgers. They are not dried out like most others I've had. He says the trick is to cook it at a lower temp (but a few minutes longer) than you would a beef burger the same size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts