Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, my experiences with vehicles have all been with, for the most part, older trucks. 67-96 Fords, all sorts of old VW's and occasionally an '01-'04 Xterra/Frontier.

What brings about this gripe is this. As of late for work I've been driving a fair number of newer (09-11) trucks and vans. What I notice is on the older stuff I'm used to being able to rest my heel on the floor board or tunnel and run the accelerator just fine. On these newer vehicles of mixed makes and models, if i rest my heel on the floor board and try to run the pedal, i can only hit about half throttle before my toes slip off.

Is this typical of newer vehicles in general, or do i just have freakishly small average sized feet?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Are you guys wearing flip-flops or something? :rofl:

Maybe bend the accelerator arm until it's comfy? That's what I did to my Bronco's. Aren't the newer ones adjustable...?

·
Fullsize Member
4,167 Posts
our 07 f-150 at work is like this, pisses me off, and the brake pedal is too close to the gas or something, because I seem to hit the gas sometimes when going for the brakes, and the harder i try to brake, the more gas I give it, fawesome imo.

·
Registered
670 Posts
well i wear size 13's and i have the opposite problem with newer cars, i barely press the gass pedal and they take off like i just floored it, barely hit the brakes and it stops so fast i feel like my eyeballs are gonna pop out

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Are you guys wearing flip-flops or something? :rofl:

Maybe bend the accelerator arm until it's comfy? That's what I did to my Bronco's. Aren't the newer ones adjustable...?
The only problem with that is that most newer accelerators are all plastic. Not just the pedal itself, but the arm behind the pedal.

I've noticed that if I basically cover up the pedal with my foot, with my heel on the floor mat, I can get all the pedal travel I need. May not hit WOT like that, but I don't go that fast any more.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
well i wear size 13's and i have the opposite problem with newer cars, i barely press the gass pedal and they take off like i just floored it, barely hit the brakes and it stops so fast i feel like my eyeballs are gonna pop out
They design it that way to make you think its some sort of performance machine...but it falls flat on its face once you get passed the initial bad engineering takeoff, or eyeball popping stop.

·
Registered
670 Posts
They design it that way to make you think its some sort of performance machine...but it falls flat on its face once you get passed the initial bad engineering takeoff, or eyeball popping stop.
even my moms 2011 f150 is like that, it makes it a pain in the ass when im trying to hook up to a trailer

·
Not Frilly.
951 Posts
drove my cousins 09 silverado z71 4x4 lt down to georgia, and that thing is touchy all over, steering is lose as hell, gas pedal i can blow on and it hits WOT and the brakes are the same.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
I think the thing that's the hardest to get used to is the Throttle by Wire systems' lack of resistance. When you mash the accelerator on a vehicle with a throttle cable, you have to put a little bit of force to it. Not so with TBW -- the slightest amount of pressure registers as pedal movement, and away you go.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
PSD's have been fly by wire since the beginning, and I've not noticed a lack of resistance problem...

Adrianspeeder

1 - 14 of 14 Posts