Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so you all don't have time to read the long list of needs my truck has but stage 1 for me on this build is getting the necessities.

1 other than T and J's off road in orange does anyone know a good supplier of stock or extended travel driveshafts that will hold me now and once I'm up 6/8 inches? I need front and rear drive shaft and U bolts at the least. Random vibration above 55 mph that get's horrible at dead throttle decel and accel eases up which leads me to believe driveline issue not speed/tire related.

2 Shocks I know I'm a loser if I don't go mono tube..I read I searched the @#$#in threads and if I put 300 bucks in shocks I will most likely be happy. (most likely as one person removed the bilstein rears as they were binding up in the back) Heckethorn is my idea. Can I get the shocks that would be consistant with 6 inches of lift WITHOUT conflicting with stock height? Meaning not bottoming out too soon?

3. Axle Bearings. Without someone watching over my shoulder I wouldn't feel comfortable replacing the inner and outter bearings myself. How much should I expect a shop to pay to replace the bearings? (this is less necessity as I am not POSITIVE they need replacing just assuming the truck is 26 now and might need bearings)

Edit: This will be a DD truck for now so a 1 month "just do an SAS" advice is less relavant although that and a 351 may be in the future..It's not stage 1 lol.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
I have a driveshaft shop up by me that can build you anything you want for a reasonable price...
2. Bilsteins have always worked for me...most other shocks are to stiff....and all you have to do is call their tech support and they can tell what shock fits where...
3. When ready to do wheel bearings, let me know I can help supervise...and have all the tools to do it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I'm sure I will get ridiculed for this question and perhaps deserve it a little. For instance. If I remove the front drive shaft get it rebuilt or whatever the case may be extended..reinstall that one remove the rear (this means driving to work for at least a day in 4WD to get the front tires to drag me along obviously not at freeways speeds) how damaging would this be?

I actually could probably just get a ride for a day or 2 or should and get both done at the same time.

I am and will take you up on your offer to supervise. A I love working on cars (except tranny fluid..I hate changing tranny fluid.....) I just don't have the confidence to start bearing into some of the more "sensitive" things like axle bearings etc.

Also you were selling a solid front D44 housing correct?

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
I can help teach as well, I'm also a little ways down the freeway from you (91/Valley View)

Who knows maybe we can do some J-yard hopping some weekend.

·
Registered
129 Posts
(In Fresno, CA) I am having a shop do my rear axle barrings and seal on my 9 inch with fluid change for $230. Hope that helps in case you go shop shopping. I didn't do it myself cause you have to press the bearings on with 5 tons of pressure. I've heard.
Dantheduke1

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Ok I'm sure I will get ridiculed for this question and perhaps deserve it a little. For instance. If I remove the front drive shaft get it rebuilt or whatever the case may be extended..reinstall that one remove the rear (this means driving to work for at least a day in 4WD to get the front tires to drag me along obviously not at freeways speeds) how damaging would this be?

I actually could probably just get a ride for a day or 2 or should and get both done at the same time.

I am and will take you up on your offer to supervise. A I love working on cars (except tranny fluid..I hate changing tranny fluid.....) I just don't have the confidence to start bearing into some of the more "sensitive" things like axle bearings etc.

Also you were selling a solid front D44 housing correct?
yes I do....want it?....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I do but I have other repairs to cover before I start collecting for the SAS.

as far as the Axle beartings etc?

5 tons of pressure? I don't remember dealing with that Perhaps a crush sleeve would take that much pressure? Also does anyone know how strong are the Aussie lockers? I hear good feedback and some that say OH I wish I had something stronger but I beat it and it never broke? So I don't know how to take the feedback.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also you mentioned bilstiens again..they are that good? And what will allow for more wheel traval other than springs and shocks? I see alot of different information I heard one person saying they are getting 14 inches with a superlift 6 inch?

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Also you mentioned bilstiens again..they are that good? And what will allow for more wheel traval other than springs and shocks? I see alot of different information I heard one person saying they are getting 14 inches with a superlift 6 inch?
no...you will never get 14 actual inches of travel out a ttb lift...call up Bilstein tech support and they will recommend what will fit good for you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I should probably just keep searching. you wanted 100 for the axle housing? Or I didn't understand what I found when I searched for your for sale post.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Ok I suspected that was more than a bit much. What primary parts restrict tire movement? Spring length shocks or steering components?
the whole design....unless you go out and put a long travel race suspension about the most you can do is extend the Radius arms...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I was looking for I apologize for ignorant questions I saw someone talking about an RA (now I realize that means radius arms) extension for more articulation. My only real suspension experience is from Straight Axle leaf spring. I'll search more suspension tech articles so I don't keep flog up the forum.

edit ps I edited it at the same moment you were posting lol.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Ok I should probably just keep searching. you wanted 100 for the axle housing? Or I didn't understand what I found when I searched for your for sale post.
correct the axle housing and a ttb third member (all D44 carriers are interchangeable)....just really missing axle shafts and outer lock outs...but the lock outs are interchangeable to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts