Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I got bored up in Avon over Thanksgiving so we headed to Holy Cross to see what was up. I spent the week looking into the mountains and seeing not much snow so I figured it was worth a ½ hour drive to check things out on the mountain. The road was snowy but not bad at all, less than 6-8 inches and there were no tracks so there was not much ice.

We got about 1/2 mile and found this

The road to this point and beyond was very passable. But that tree was stuck between two aspens there was no pulling it out of the way. The first guys up next summer are going to need a chain saw.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
The road to this point and beyond was very passable. But that tree was stuck between two aspens there was no pulling it out of the way. The first guys up next summer are going to need a chain saw.
I've always thought it would be a good idea to carry a chainsaw wheeling, as long as its strapped down and has a bar cover.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I've always thought it would be a good idea to carry a chainsaw wheeling, as long as its strapped down and has a bar cover.
had that tree fallen AFTER he was past......

I carry a little folding saw, but for that tree, maybe I should think about bringing an ax because the little saw would be an hour or so's work at the mininum trying to get through that.

Hmmm, I think my 18v ryobi one cordless stuff has a small chainsaw that it can power, now maybe I know what to get at home boy depot....

How were the MTR kevlars in snow?

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They kicked ass, on the trail soft snow. I still do not know what to think of them on the highway hard pack, it felt a bit squirrelly but that could also be the Detroit, I have not driven the Bronco in the snow for a LOOOONG time.

I carry a small folding saw good for campfire rounds and usually a bow saw, left it at home for the condo vacation. I could have got it out of the way if it had blocked me in. But it would have taken a while.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When snow wheeling I carry one.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I think a home depot gift card may be in a stocking here soon, so I'm going to get the little ryobi cordless 18v. supposed to be good for max 16" dia. tree. doesn't weigh much so I can't go wrong there as a just in case item with a spare battery. I've also never looked to see if my battery chargers have a convertor dealy so that they can be plugged in to 12v for charging. Probably not a biggy if I bring 2 fully charged lithiums. That plus the little folding saw.

Anyone make an air powered chain saw, that might be very kick azz?

Edit: bummer, quick search online and they do have pneumatic chain saws, but even the small ones that would be equivalent to the ryobi I mention need at least 14+ CFM to operate, so I guess they are an air hog tool. Probably too much for my OBA.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
I will carry a chain saw when i go camping or extended mountain wheeling from now on.. especially in june/july... i was lucky and able to use creative winching to get trees out of the way this year.. but I did have to crawl over one or two that would have been impossible to winch out of the way..

that would be really sweet to be able to run a chain saw off the OBA system, but the York puts out 10 CFM and i dont think there is a saw that would be able to run at that low of flow..

and the prices are not friendly ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts