Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some trucks driving around in my body style (87-91) with a black grill instead of chrome. I like the look and may pick one up, were they standard on any model trucks? Id imagine if i pull one off an F-150 it will be a direct fit, is that right?

thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
sure, I found one stock on an f150 in the junkyard. Damn j/y wanted too much for it, like $30. I believe you can get them aftermarket now very cheap, which may be what I do, as the junkyard grills are showing their age.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Take yours, sand it a little, paint it. Cost of sandpaper and paint.
Check out my website when Cardomain quits jackin' around.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
It's funny you mentioned that, because last weekend I found the remains of a gate while getting my forklift license. It was mostly made from 1/2" square tubing, which will be perfect for making a new grill for my truck. I am thinking of making it this weekend. If it turns out the way I plan, I will post some picks.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
My 87 has the black grill. Its factory. You should be able to find a black grill in a JY from any 87-91 bko or f150. IIRC you can also buy them new from JBG.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You can usually find the black grill your looking for brand new on ebay for like $35......they have them in several colors and for most of the later body styles.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will the F250 Grill fit??

88pimpin. What prep work did you do on that thing, looks like just what im looking for.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Heh, easy. I used a scouring pad on it to rough up the edges. Has stayed fine, even with the bugs. But if you use this stuff, I'd suggest using their clear coat for wheel paint, or other paint you could try without clear coat, and then if it chips, repaint with clear coat.

BTW, I've had it painted for about 1 1/2 to 2 years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im also looking to do something similar. I like the chrome but want the background (if thats what you call it the part that isnt chrome) painted black. I have alot of black on my bko so I think itd look good. How hard would it be? Im guessing just alot of masking off. I have an aftermaket billet grill but I personally think the stock grill looks better on our body style broncos. On the 92 and up I would like the billet not on my 89 though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
black Krylon Fusion spray paint was used to fix my grill.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
on ebay there is a seller there that has grills.. Our 87 came with a billet grille when we bought it.. I freakin hate billet grilles.. They are the biggest piles of junk.. So I found these people on ebay.. pay 30 bux for the grill but shipping was another 30 bux.. but the grille was brand new and fit perfectly.. (It did not come with the emblem though..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts