Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Blinker lever wont lock down

9400 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  351w500
it works if im turning left...it will stay locked till i finish the turn. if i want to turn left i have to hold lever down so it blinks...anyway to fix this...any help appriciated
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
The very expensive turn signal cam/wiring harness might need replacing.
the best/most complete fix is the turn signal wiring harness, its about $35-40 and requires taking your steering column partially apart. i've heard of partial kits that replace the broken plastic parts, but i dont have any experience with them and they also require removal of the steering wheel (you need a s.wheel puller). my 89 f250 has had the same problem for about 2-3 years...i just deal with it instead of messing with the pita, column.
The very expensive turn signal cam/wiring harness might need replacing.
$33-$80 on RockAuto, depending on your manufacturer preference.
im fine with dealing with it....im worried about passing state inspection...i depends where u go..one just tells me to put the blinkers on and ive been to one where they get me out the truck and do it themselves
im fine with dealing with it....im worried about passing state inspection...i depends where u go..one just tells me to put the blinkers on and ive been to one where they get me out the truck and do it themselves
Check your blinker fluid.... maybe it's low... :histerica
This is a broken plastic part on the turn signal cam. Common problem.
  • Unscrew/remove the turn signal/tilt lever, pull the steering wheel (you may need a steering wheel puller) and remove the turn signal switch screws.
  • The turn signal switch harness is a very tight fit through the steering column to the connector under the dash, especially with the harness connector attached.
  • First, look closely at the new signal harness connector at the end of the new harness and write down the wire color locations. Ensure that the new connector is the same as the old one.
  • Locate the base of the signal harness connector under the dash by pulling on the top from the signal switch. Be sure that you locate the correct wires!!!
  • Then I just cut the wires on the old signal cam harness before the old connector and pulled it out from the top of the column.
  • Un-pin the wires from the new connector and tape/feed the wires back down through the column.
  • Re-pin the new connector, referencing the old one, and reconnect to the main harness.
  • Re-install the turn signal switch, steering wheel and turn signal lever and your done.
I highly recommend a new Ford Turn Signal Switch & Harness for longevity and especially "feel". (Aftermarket Turn Signal Switches break easily and feel "funny").

Graphic from Steve83's SuperMotors web-site.
See less See more
wow, thats awesome. thanks for the info!!!!
good info Seattle FSB.

ive had no problems getting my truck inspected in VA. here, as long as the blinkers come on, its good. you can always go to a shop and ask the inspector, or just take your chances.
just replaced this not to long ago, i got the part from napa and it feels just like an original. was about 80 bucks but my turn signals stoped working all together so i had to have it
I think there's a vendor on FSB, Tony from 1A Auto who touts good prices for that .....:scratchhe

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
I paid 130 bucks last year at NAPA Auto parts.... ouch !
I paid 130 bucks last year at NAPA Auto parts.... ouch !

my parts guy hooks me up, would cost about that if i had just walked in :thumbup
that is a better deal.
..assuming that hook up doesn't mean.........
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.