Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a few weeks now, if i turn my lights off after i turn off the ignition, my headlights tailights and even tag lights flas randomly, in no pattern at all. its no biggie i just make sure to turn them off before turnin off the bko. Well today at some point my blinkers wouldn't blink on my dash it just stayed lit solid and didn't make the little clicking noise. Tonight on my way home from work my brakelights wouldn't turn off, they stayed fully lit while driving, this explains my blinkers not working, but why would they stay on all the time when my headlights are on? i need to fix it soon since nobody can tell when i'm braking its pretty dangerous.

oh yeah its 96 XLT 5.8.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anybody throw in anything here? I've already had several cars almost hit me for the lack of brake lights. Anything I can check would be appreciated. Thursday is the soonest I could drop it off somewhere but I can fix it myself tonight if possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personal experience:

My lights acted in a similar way. Blinkers wouldnt work, sometimes only the fronts would blink, only one brake light worked...when i used the blinker switch my cruise control would dissengage...my problem? After poking around I found the Previous owner had installed an alarm, but never gave me the keypads. An alarm cable/fuse both burnt out because it was not installed properly. I had to remove the alarm and restore the wires to factory.

Check to see if there is anything like an alarm installed in the truck...hell even a bad stereo install can mess up your signals/lights. If thats not it, check the wires/harnesses in your steering wheel/column for any burns or shorts. Check the wires at the lights themselves for any burns/shorts/breaks. Im sure you would know if an alarm is on the vehicle, but it took me having a dead battery to find out my truck was equipped with one.

Hope you find the problem, electrical problems really do suck!

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well its changed a little now. if my headlights are on, the brake lights stay on, other wise its all ok unless i brake and do a turn signal. the PO did have something installed under the dash i have no idea what it is, there aren't and manufacturer names or anything on it. i was gonna remove it but there no telling what it is and what its hooked up to.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Pull codes and see if there is anything showing up....

It might help everyone if you post a "picture" of the device under the dash board, then check fuses and flashers and see what the fuse box terminal looks like if it has burns etc...maybe even check light bulb sockets AND make sure ALL wires converging on the "starter relay" are hooked up correctly.......PITA....steering column internally could be also be an issue as mentioned...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i'll check it a post some pics of the "thing" tomorrow sometime. the guy didnt tel me it had an alarm or anything on it but he was kinda dumb. i mean .... he sold it to me for 1800 bucks, when he easily could have gottem 3500 or maybe 4k for it. however, i did find a keu fob in the console when i got it home that he'd left in there after cleaning it so maybe it has one? the batteries are good but nothing happens when i hit the buttons.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah Im willing to bet that box under your dash is the mother board for what was an alarm system. Something probably shorted out in there, and its causing your lights to do exactly what mine did. Get us a pic of it, after I had mine removed and rewired to factory my electrical problems went away.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
It comes with the territory when you buy a used vehicle and unfortunate what some PO's will do to a vehicle.....:enforce...what were they thinking you wonder...lol lol....I found a few cute surprises in my BKO...:rofl:

Keep at it!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts