Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I contacted Bilstein here in Canada and they say they no longer make the shocks for the 78 Bronco.

They suggested the 5125 series if I have the base shock dimensions.

I know some guys are using them on this forum so which ones are you using?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I was looking into Bilstein shocks and got the same feedback. I also asked about the compressed/extended lengths of the ones they list for stock height 1980+ Broncos, which they didn't even answer.

Digging into the 5125 series, I found that for my stock '78 suspension with quad shocks the following parts accommodate full compression and would allow the system to droop more. Note that this puts very different compression and rebound rates in the front and rear, which could be totally reasonable, but I haven't crunched the numbers on them. Ultimately I went with Rancho because it was a few hundred $$ cheaper, and I may want to lift in the future.
  • 33-230412 front, front of axle
  • 33-230450 front, rear of axle
  • 33-185590 rear
I see you have 4" of lift though, so these may be too short for you. If you build or find different shock towers then you can pretty much pick the travel you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 4” lift, but and I’m lowering it down. I have Superlift coils and an add-a-leaf on the way, this will give me 1-2” lift in the front and about 2-2.5” lift in the rear from stock.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the Bilstein shocks valving is 360/80 and reviews say they are a bit soft.

I was looking at the Rancho XL9000 shocks, but some don’t like Rancho. I had the RS5000 shocks on my 1980 for 17 years and never had an issue with them.

Not an easy decision.

I may be able to use the Rough Country one for now until I can decide.

Would really like to hear more personal experiences.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Just call Bilstein tech support - they were very helpful. I have a 4" lift and 35" tires. Bilstein 25-177473 (2) and 25-177503 (2) - 5165 remote reservoir shocks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I installed bilsteins all around. I went about it a little differently. I took and figured the measurements for all six shock locations for max extension and max retraction of the suspension. Took this info and the type of mount and had the local rep piece the set together. The only thing I dislike is that on the front one of the boots is on the top and the other the boot is on the bottom. Some times the OCD kicks my butt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts