Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Block heater question.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Bronco85 
#1 ·
Ok a few dumb questions.

Will a block heater heat up the engine enough to notice with the in dash temp gauge?

How do you tell if the block heater is working if not. I found one on my truck when I added the big battery cables. The cord looked like it had been shorted out. (don't remember exactly-just remember thinking maybe I shouldn't plug that in)

I'm hoping it works. It's something I'd like to use if it does work.

#2 ·
Do'nt plug it in if the cord looks bad! Maybe nothing would happen maybe worse case you'll blow a fuse in the house and fry some auto electronics. Most block heaters install in place of a soft plug. There hard to replace if you can't get straight at em. Usally you won't see any diffrance on the gauge. you can put your hand near the heater and feel if its warm after a few hours.

#3 ·
What temp should I start plugging mine in? It's been getting in the low 30s at night..

#7 ·
I'd say when it gets below 10 degrees overnight. You won't see it on the temp gauge when you first start it up but you'll see the temp start to raise sooner than it would without being plugged in. Don't even bother with it when it's still in the 30's overnight.

#4 ·
I don't run one but if I had block heaters I would probably look at plugging them in whenever overnight temps were 20's or lower. I would also look at a battery tender and tie it in to the circuit no reason not to come out to a truck that is above freezing with a charged up battery.

#5 ·
The City of Anchorage says plug in at 20. When I used one, I never really noticed any difference in the truck starting up at 50 or at -20. I had it set to start warming up about 3 hours proir to me leaving work. That way I wasn't paying the electric company for nothing.

They're pretty cheap and cheap to install. If youj have any issues, just have another one put it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.