Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:duh

ok on my 91 fsb i have steam and oil coming out of breather tube, (from the valve cover to the air box.) it is so bad that i have to remove the tube from the air box due to it soaking the air filter with oil and have to change air filter every 6 weeks or less. now i thought that blow by was due to the piston rings wearing,, and that the blow by exited out the exhaust. and no i havent done a compression test yet, i am just cornfused as to weather or not this is blowby or just a bad head.. when i got the 91 i did a puter scan of codes, koeo and koer, with the koer it said that i had un matched cylinder pressures, and i know i should do a compression test but with working till 5 and getting home after dark, and working 6 days, i just want to rest.. plus weather turned cold this week, down to mid to low 30`s and is there any way of telling if it is blowby from cylinders, other then squirting oil in the plug hole? cause it is hard to get to the plug hole to put oil in the cylinders...

information on engine is as followed: stock 91 5.0 backed by a e4od, with 4:10`s up front and out back, 3 core rad with clutched fan, manual locking hubs with transplanted manual shift transfer case. all rolling on bf goodrich mud terrians, 33x12.50 x15"
:beer :drinkbud :beer

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
take the oil cap off and pull the PCV valve if you have alot of oil smoke coming outta the pcv tube your rings are probablly shot meaning there is too much crank case pressure. if nothing comes out change your PCV that might help.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
blackbroncoxlt65 said:
took the cap off and i get some smoke and i have a whitish yellow scum on the bottom of the cap and around the filler neck, and the pcv valve was changed when i got the fsb back in sept.

I have no Idea what that is. do you have a puncture in your head gasket.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
blackbroncoxlt65 said:
god i hope not, but then again it wont hurt if i do then i can get a new engine
Alright Black

It's time to fess up

How many miles on it ? When was the last oil change ? How often have you changed the oil this year. Now,be honest and fess' up.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it has 140568.9, oil has been changed when i first got it and 3200 miles after that and is due to have another one in about 3 weeks, i have changed the rear main and oil pan gasket and have ran the engine just about dry right after x-mas, (ran breather tube down the side of the engine like they do on the big rigs(diesels) and only thing i can think of was with the road speed and air flow it acted as a suction and pulled out the oil) that was last time i changed oil also was right b4 x-mas

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
There's a couple of things you can do before a rebuild

as that's not that much mileage really. Run a vicious crankcase cleaner through just before you drop the oil and then change the oil two more times two weeks apart.

I had terrible blowby way too early on my new longblock and it turned out I was leaving the synthetic oil in too long. I did the above mentioned technique and changed to a genuine Ford PCV (anybody's oil breather filter will do) and everything got back into line, with no mo' blowby.

That's fairly cheap and easy to try. If that don't work get a leakdown test done on your cylinders before shopping for a new longblock.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have ran seafoam through it when i first got it, about same time i did rear main and oil pan. but i have 5 more cans of seafoam i`ll run some thru the engine tommorrow and by the end of the week i`ll have put about 120 mile or more and then do an oil change and then should i do more seafoam b4 the next oil change?

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
That whitish/yellowish scum is water mixed with your oil. About the coolor of a chocolate milkshake. Since its only on the breather cap and not the dipstick means its probably only some condensation that is staying up high. When you change the oil though take a good look at what comes out and keep an eye on the condition of the oil you change into it. Also check your radiator for oil in the water. I know from past experience that ATF eats hoses.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
I have the same whiteish shit on mine as well. it is eather gas or water mixing with oil. You can do six technique with that mileage i would first. mine is so crudded up due to the previous owner not doing regular oil changes i came into some extra cash and my long block will be here next week

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i put in the seafoam to day b4 work and will run it til the end of the week and change oil then, and then drive around about 1/2 of the week and add more seafoam and do another oil change... i bought this truck from a used dealer where it had sat for about 1 year, and how it was kept up prior to me buying it i couldn`t even guess. the dealer said that the left front wheel was a little lose, and also said that that is normal with 4x4`s,, yea RIGHT. lol i found the wheel bearing was lose. due to the nut was only on hand tight,,, tightened it up drove it home and swapped out both axles with the money pits. just paid 2k to have gears and axles replaced, wasn`t letting them go to the scrap yard, lol,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had the exact same issues last year on my 81 351m. To fix it all I did was ran a bottle of engine cleaner than I changed the pcv valve (even if you think it is ok) and put in nice clean oil and a new filter.......... DONE

The white/creamy goop/foam was due to the crank case not getting proper ventalation and creating moisture in the oil.

I am not saying that this is the only thing that it could be so you should always do a compression test (wet and dry) but a good check for a blown head gasket is if there is any oil in your rad....It will be floating right at the top when you take off your cap and when you do and the truck is at running temp. you will usually see bubbles in the water..........

I hope this helps you out......:thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts