Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about my blower not blowing worth a dam. Was told to do a search... Not a bad responce, I did it. Everyone talks about dirt leaves etc.

I pulled mine very easy to do. No dirt etc found inside the box, etc. It was very clearn. I pulled the cadge off the motor, and cleaned the motor with contact cleaner lubracant. Ran motor and sprayed cleaner like crazy. Stuff came out black. Kept going till it was claen. Now motor was cleaned and lubed.

Put it all back etc.

Blower still sucks. It blows and changes speed as I change the setting on the dash. And on high it blows, but not hard enough to move air to the back seat. It is and has been fine for front seat folks.

AutoZone wants $45.00 for a new one. I would o it, but I think this is just as as strong as this blower gets.

Anyone find a way to get a blower to blow air to the back seat????

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I've responded to 3 other threads regarding the same problem in the 2 weeks since I figured my own problem out. It isn't a long explaination just saying the answer is already out there (one thread is called "a/c question for steve83" or something to that effect).

Anyhow, to answer your question, when mine did that and cleaning the blower out didnt fix it I ended up taking the control unit out of the dash. My problem was that two wires had crossed behind the switch and it melted the plug. I just had to cut the wires, splice female spade terminals on, clean the back of the switch up (it had melted plastic/ash on the contacts) and plug it back in the way it was. That's all it took for me. Before I did that it hardly could defrost the windshield, now I can't even have the switch up high when I have the heat on or everybody in the truck starts sweating.

Somebody else suggested taking the red resistor out from under where the blower is mounted and cleaning/replacing it. Those should get you started at least. the problem is you have a poor connection/short somewhere in that circuit so not all the required power is getting to the fan. Anyhow, good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK It seems I did not make this clear... So here goes. There was no dirt to clean out of the air box. No dust leaves, etc. I even hit it with conpresed air and nothing blew out. I did put my hand in and felt around. Nothing.

I did jump the blower to the battery, blew the same as when set on high.

Again, this blower just seems to be weak for the size of the truck. It will not blow air to the back seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blower BLOWS

Well, I have used up a lot of time searching for a blower upgrade to no avail. My question of an upgrade is common enough . But there are no threads on an upgrade for a stronger blower. I mean more airflow when I said stronger. So I can only assume that there is not an upgrade. This thread is like soo many others when one continues to bring up cleaning when the author specifically says that is not the issue. Makes for a lot of wasted reading Enough .

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
Yo rawmacias,
What year do you have? To the best of your knowledge, has the motor been replaced?
As for cleaning, did you clean the motor and it's armature; & blower wheel as well this area?

Leaf & Debris Build-Up Location in 80-96 Blower Motors/Ducts; Resistor shown in Red
by STUPID

Our 96's air flow is still strong.

The motor's brushes are most likely worn down. Some automotive electric shops may be able to rewind the motor to increase air flow, but current will rise, thus wiring and fuse may need to be upgraded. Cost "probably will be high".
For example; Google "12V DC Motor Rewind. Brand new way of winding."
YouTube - Oct 2, 2011 by DragonToko
And "How To Rewinding 12V DC Fan Motor Easy At Home". YT-37 by JSB Electric: (no sound narrative )

Motor Current Draw and Voltages in 92-96 Bronco: Low 3-5 amps / 3-4 volts; Medium Low 6-8 amps / 5-7 volts; High 15-22 amps/ 11-14 volts; Blower Circuit System Protection 30 Amp Mini-Fuse by Ford

New Motorcraft motors are still available, such as @ https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-M...965e50ccb9ffe3777903b&creativeASIN=B000C5BUB6

Reactions: bsd4083

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
I am the guy who started this thread.

To make things clear. I have looked into the possibility of dirt or anything else effecting air flow. All is good there. There is nothing interfering with the air flow.

I friend of mine with a 1988 f150m had to replace his blower. It is the same part as the Bronco, so I talked him into letting me try it in my truck. I was no better then the one I had.

Simply put when used for COOLING the thing does not move enough air to cool the truck. Front seat passengers can even feel cold, but the ones in the back seat really get no cold air.

I have even tried using some 12 volt clip on fans to help, but hey also move to little air to help.

i have thought about trying to tape into the A/C duct work, and build ducting into the center storage box, and then put a bird cadge fan in that and some outlets for the back. But that is a lot of work with no idea of if it would work or not. Plus the fan in the storage box would be very loud.

Now I'm not talking about when it is like 85% outside. I'm talking 100% days and higher. Folks in front can get cooled. Even cold, but that cold air just does not get to the back seat.

And cooling the truck is much different then heating it.

This is simply about how to move the air to the back seat.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do you have bucket seats? If so, is there any chance you can pull the console and replace it with a small box fan? Besides that, I've got nothin

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hi,
I am the guy who started this thread.

To make things clear. I have looked into the possibility of dirt or anything else effecting air flow. All is good there. There is nothing interfering with the air flow.

I friend of mine with a 1988 f150m had to replace his blower. It is the same part as the Bronco, so I talked him into letting me try it in my truck. I was no better then the one I had.

Simply put when used for COOLING the thing does not move enough air to cool the truck. Front seat passengers can even feel cold, but the ones in the back seat really get no cold air.

I have even tried using some 12 volt clip on fans to help, but hey also move to little air to help.

i have thought about trying to tape into the A/C duct work, and build ducting into the center storage box, and then put a bird cadge fan in that and some outlets for the back. But that is a lot of work with no idea of if it would work or not. Plus the fan in the storage box would be very loud.

Now I'm not talking about when it is like 85% outside. I'm talking 100% days and higher. Folks in front can get cooled. Even cold, but that cold air just does not get to the back seat.

And cooling the truck is much different then heating it.

This is simply about how to move the air to the back seat.
One thing that should be mentioned is that the air conditioning systems on these trucks were actually designed to only cool a regular cab pickup and are marginal at best for any larger configuration.

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
Yo 884,
As for the cleanliness issue, I was replying to rawmacias. And that is the issue when a post is jumped by another member.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i found it somewhere here

they pulled a JY motor and fan from ford f100 panel van and it had more output for that poster with the same low output air volume problem like you

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
Perhaps a fan/blower out of an expedition or an Explorer would work? what about an F350 crew cab model?

Reactions: bsd4083

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'll give you one more option. I have always toyed with a curtain behind the front seats. That way it only has to cool/heat a much smaller area. The curtain could be pulled back when people sit back there. I assume you have people back there more than me. In your case, you could put a curtain behind the rear seat. It should help.

I wonder if your AC is up to par. In my case, if I'm driving for forty minutes or more, the whole truck is cold. But I will say the first ten minutes are not great if the truck has been sitting in the sun.

Also, you could insulate the rear topper. On a hot day, reach your hand back and feel it. Even if your cool, it is radiating heat.

When I have rear pax, I turn the two center outlets straight back. After the front people are cool, turn their outlets up. Haven't had any real complaints. But it's mostly kids. If they complain, smack them a couple times.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Perhaps a fan/blower out of an expedition or an Explorer would work? what about an F350 crew cab model?
size and shape, voltage matters or they will not interchange..

some times you can transfer the old squirrel cage to the new fan and it all fits..best wishes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts