Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far just the pinion seal. But 8 months ago, driving on the parkway, the rear differential blew, i limped away to the closest garage and had a junkyard diff installed. Guaranteed for 6 months. Only put about 2k miles. Get home yesterday and fluid leaking from pinion seal. I did a search and think the transmission is the problem. It was rebuilt about 10 yrs ago and always banged into reverse. Now that its mine I know it shifts hard into 2nd which I thought was good, but since searching the site realize it may be the problem.

Am I correct?

If I need trans rebuild and rear diff work, anyone know of a reputable garage in NY/NJ area?

Thanks, Erik.

·
Heavy and slow fun
1,152 Posts
So you have a leaking pinion seal from a used rear end? It was used not rebuilt.Slap a new pinion seal in and drive it.Just because its leaking doesnt mean its junk.Check the breather hose on the rear end housing to make sure its clear and not plugged up with crap.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
before i noticed the leak, truck was vibrating, which is why i crawled under it.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
vibration may be due to worn u-joints, and that also can wipe out your pinion seal.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Do you have a lift? Is the driveshaft correctly angled? Firestone auto charges $20.00 here to look over any vheicle for a 20 point inspection. Discount tire centers is free I believe. A mechanic charges about $85.00 to diagnose a problem.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Did you say "vibration"?
Often, a bad drive shaft is the contributing factor to differential and/or transmission failure. You might want to take a look at your u-joints and centering ball. Then I'd have the whole ass'y checked for straightness and balance. Incorrect pinion angle will also cause vibration and componant failure. So while you are fooling around under the truck, check that too.

DGW

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is no play in the drive shaft at all. visually ujoints look fine. guess ill pull the shaft and hope it the ujoints. truck is stock and i do not wheel it, so any ujoints will suffice?

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jacked up rear diff and there is about 1/4" of play in all directions. do not have correct sockets so be back in a few.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
there is no play in the drive shaft at all. visually ujoints look fine. guess ill pull the shaft and hope it the ujoints. truck is stock and i do not wheel it, so any ujoints will suffice?
preferable spicer life series u-joints non greasables are perfered in my book. people never grease the serviceable ones frequently enough so they fail, or they are just cheap Chinese junk and they are well junk as well.

and just because a u-joint looks good from the out side is meaningless whats going on inside of it.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, pulled out rear drive shaft. ujoints seem fine, no play and normal movement. where the rubber boot is, there is a minute amount of play. normal?

got pinion nut off. how do i get to seal without a puller or is that the only way? searched and read a big screwdriver, but not sure if that meant use brute force... thanks, Erik.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
ujoints that are starting to fail can feel smooth untill the torque load has been placed on them.

they are cheap to replace.

also the spines on the shaft can be worn causing the shaft to vibrate and bang when you go into reverse.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
also a driveline that has problems will always cause pinion seals to leak, you can put in 10 new seals in a brand new rear axle and it will cause it to leak shortly there after.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I am not saying that your driveline is the issue, but you should get it checked out well before ruling it out. most shops will not balance it with old ujoints as it may still vibrate or cause other issues unless they know for sure all of the hardware is in good shape.

visual inspection of the trunions and bearings are needed and at that point the driveline is apart and you might as well slap in new ujoints and be done with it. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
new ujoints then cause the bronco has been banging into reverse awhile now. thanks for the help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts