Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have a 94' bronco w/ the 5.8 engine. I was driving yesterday, and a little blue box under the dash (under the powerpoint) making some beeping noises. It continued beeping at random, and would sometimes make a constant beep/buzz for about 45 seconds. (Its alomost like a radar detector going off) The beeps and buzzing doesnt seem to have any type of pattern or consistency. I have searched and know that the box is part of the airbag system, but the noises that are coming from mine are not the same as the beeps that have been described by others in the forum. I think it is probably still an issue w/ the airbag system, but I'm about 95% that the airbag has never worked since I've owned it. My question is, can I stop the beeps by disconnecting the box some how, and not replace the clock spring? since i believe the air bag to be non working anyway, is there any reason for the box to be wired? I'm have no technical or mechanical abilities with automotives, so I'm looking for the most basic way to stop the beeping. Thanks to all you guys with bronco knowledge, and take the time, to help an automotive idiot, yet bronco lover.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can't recommend that you unhook your airbag, but if you chose to do so, clip your power wire to the box, then see what happens... best advice I can give. Your clockspring controls your horn, and cruise as well, so I don't think I'd take it out.

make sure you unhook the battery whenever you are messing with airbag stuff, you don't want a busted nose and black eyes for your effort. also don't sit in the driver's seat when messing with it... again for the same reasons...

How much is a replacement box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on how much a replacement box would be, I cant seem to find one on the internet. As far as the horn and cruise control, none of that works anyway. Since nothing on the steering wheel itself works, I don't guess unplugging the box would affect anything.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As far as I know you should be fine. It's just the box that makes sound on errors like the key/door/light buzzer, and probably the airbag buzzer. I unhooked mine and put a switch in it, because if I don't have it I lock my keys in the truck, but it pisses me off when I'm working on it, so I can just turn it off on demand.

But you should be fine just pulling the connector.

:beer

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts